In need of a nice portable amp. $300-$400.
Nov 20, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

whubbard

New Head-Fier
Hi Everybody,

I recently purchased X10s for listening on the go. I am now looking for an amp in the $300-$400 range. I know that an amp of that cost is a bit overkill for the X10s, but I do plan do get a top end IEM in the future (Custom UE11s) and I want to be able to use it with them.

I will only be using this amp with IEMs as I have a Zero DAC I can mod if I want a hifi amp for some nice over the ear headphones for home. I also do not want a DAC on my portable amp. It is useless, and I don't want to pay for it when I know I won't be using it.

Sound quality is the MOST important, but if two amps are of equal sound quality, here are my secondary preferences in order of importance:

Size
Durability
Looks
Battery Life

Thanks for your suggestions.

-West

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 11
If i had $300-400 to spend on an amp at the moment, i would be seriously looking at a Ray Samuel's P-51 or a new Xin referance. There seem to be some referance's appearing in the "for sale" section.

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 11
Predator / P-51

Ive never listened to them but I have read every thread on them and people love them

Less portable than above but nice solid SR71(a)

I own the D3 and am 88% happy, very solid, nice build quality, great sound...just cant use with iphone unless in airplane mode...you could get one of those for 250 and have some left for a sick cable...but to do it over Id get a Samuels Amp (Im in the process now trying to decide the same thing as you)

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 11
Thank you for all of the suggestions.
I have a few questions:

How does the Hornet compare to the P-51? What are the main differences?

Is the SR71A actual overkill as it seems that a fair bit of development went into using it with bigger, over the ear, headphones? Will the SR71A provide noticible difference over the P-51 in high end IEMs?

Thanks

-West

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 11
the sr-71a is absolutely not overkill and many people refer to it as a desktop amp squeezed into a portable chasis. But that is what you get for spending more money
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by whubbard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for all of the suggestions.
I have a few questions:

How does the Hornet compare to the P-51? What are the main differences?

Is the SR71A actual overkill as it seems that a fair bit of development went into using it with bigger, over the ear, headphones? Will the SR71A provide noticible difference over the P-51 in high end IEMs?

Thanks

-West

Users who are viewing this thread

Back