In my Dreams................
Aug 24, 2002 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I have a record collection the size of of Michael Ochs,the aurthor of the book "1000 Record Covers".I talked with him over the phone a few times and we exchanged a few letters years ago.I have'nt heard from him since 1998 but he is my hero.When we were talking my record collection was at about 8,500,his was well over 100,000.He gave me lots of tips and told me what to keep and what to trade or sell.I can proudly say that my collection has more than doubled and I have 976 of the albums featured in that book.I have a "wish list" of about 600 records that I hunt for,but my time is getting really scare and records are getting hard to find and expensive.I buy every new issue on vinyl because you never know when the gates will close for good and I listen to records nearly every day.I would'nt call myself a collector,cause I am actually willing to play any record that I own even the really rare,really expensive ones.Most collectors have records that they would never even consider playing.I do have some still-sealed records that I will never open but that's a bit different.I had that dream again last night where I had friends over and we played the "I bet you $50.00 I have every song you can name "game.In the dream I never lose.In reality I get close sometimes but always have someone name some obscure record that I don't have.I can dream.

Aug 24, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't think I could find more than 1200-1500 that I would like enough to want to own. Buying records I don't like is not very tempting, even if I had the means.

If you read my recently posted "thanks to you all" you know that I have been in contact with a lot of records...
But then again I am not very fond of jazz or classical so that leaves out an extreme amount of records.
smily_headphones1.gif

Having said that, I still think it's cool that you have so many, respect!

Aug 24, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 6
I on the other hand am like Tuberoller and will listen to what I own and still want so much it is gluttonous. Music is the best means of communication outside of pure math. And even then, music is at its base, mathematics. Anyway, the point is, I nearly live for music, and always want want want. Kudos Tuberoller, you are my hero.

Aug 25, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I have a "wish list" of about 600 records that I hunt for.

Say, Tuberoller, just for fun how about sharing part of this list with us? Perhaps the top 10 or so?

I suppose we can all play this game...I'll start, though I only acquire records for playing. (I realize most of these aren't terribly hard to find...)

1. Reiner, CSO: Also Sprach Zarathustra
2. Archie Shepp: The Magic of JuJu
3. Coltrane: Soultrane
4. Any artists: a recording of Brahms' Clarinet Quintet for Viola.
5. I'm missing a few of the Ashkenazy complete Chopin on London/Decca
10. Fischer-Dieskau: Brahms Lieder (found it on ebay!)

Aug 25, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 6
I'll list the ten on my list that I have never even seen in person and have been hunting for the longest.

1.Earl Bostic - For you.On King records

2.Frank Sinatra-Live at the Great Negro Clubs recorded and issued privately

3.Frank Sinatra-Live at Chicago's Sutherland Lounge,issued privately

4.Lightnin' Hopkins-Lightnin' Hopkins, on folkways records

5.Nat Cole Trio feat. Ruth Brown-The King and Ms Brown,cover with Nat Cole and Ruth Brown kissing.rumored to not actaully exist.

6.Chantels-We are The Chantels,cover with picture of all black girl group dressed as maids.cover was changed after only 500 records to satisfy southern record sellers.

7.Little Junior Parker-Driving Wheel,cover of him in Cadillac in front of house.seen pics of this cover.

8.Little Richard-Here's Little Richard,on the original thinner vinyl

9.Ike Turner-Ike Always get his Girl,I have heard songs from this record but never actually seen it.It does exist and has Ike holding a red rose on the cover.

10.Johnny Cash-Johnny Cash live at the Brink.Live set of Johnny at another famous Chicago black night spot singing the blues,has Johnny on the cover blowing smoke rings.

I know I will probably never find any of this stuff,but I have come close.The Sinatra titles belong to a guy in Detriot who paid $4,500 for the Sutherland record and would'nt tell me how much he paid for the Live at the negro clubs title.He has told his heirs to offer me the rights of first refusal on those titles and about 200 other ultra rare records he has in the event of his death.

Aug 25, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Whoa, 8500 records? You've read that Stereophile article about using a large record collection to tune your listening room, right?

And if I ever see any of those records, I know who to send them too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back