In Ear monitors with good bass extension
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

samsegarra

New Head-Fier
Dear friends,

I am in the market for a new pair of in ear monitors for live use. I am a singer with a relatively low voice who is very sensitive to bass response and extension in monitors and microphones. I get quite uncomfortable if a mic isn't flat to at least 60 hz, for example. The same with in ear monitors. I have used the Shure SE215 and SE535. I was very unhappy with both. I found they both have a very similar response, sounds rolled off around 100 hz. The 215 distorted quite easily. The 535 was a bit clearer. Ideally I would like in ears that are flat from 40 hz to around 3-4k, at least seemingly. I also want clear bass, not just a resonant sub which muddies my mix. My main priority is live use, but it would be even better if the in-ear could double as a mixing monitor, due to it being neutral in frequency response. I understand that would only really be possible in the 1000€+ range, probably.

I was intrigued by Future Sonics monitors since people lauded their bass, but those apparently have a big dip around 400-800hz, which takes them off the table. I have been intrigued by some of the offerings of InEar, for example the LivePro 4 and ProPhile 8 and the Empire Ears Phantom(though they are quite pricy). The Jerry Harvey JH3x Pro seems intriguing for the lower price(699€), but there aren't many reviews of it it seems.

I will consider all price ranges! What have your experiences been? Any people who have a similar taste?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your opinions!

Keep on rocking in the free world,

Sam

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 7
Have you had a chance to try out some different types of iems? For bass, i prefer DD iems as well as planars over multi BA. If you have anywhere you can demo that would help a ton. Sony 800st has good bass, as well as some of audeze planar iems. You do sacrifice isolation for those, however. Perhaps a single DD iem like a xelento or t8ie would be worth checking out as well. A lot depends on the tuning, as well. For example, I currently have a moondrop blessing 2, which seems to have so so bass on the FR, but sounds well fleshed out based on the rest of the tuning. Just spitballing here! Perhaps also try the ER2XR, which has good single DD bass, and isolates incredibly well.

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 7
How much isolation do you want or require? Have you used the triple flange tips with your Shure IEMs, and can you tolerate using them? What tips do you like best with the Shures.

I recommend avoiding the JH3x, as it doesn‘t have an even FR. If you really want a CIEM, there are other great options. What is your price range?

I’m using the se846 as my stage monitor for drumming, and use the triple flange tips for maximum isolation. They provide more even isolation of all frequencies vs any other combination that I’ve tried so far, including CIEMs. My back-up IEMs are my Etymotics. If you can tolerate the deep insertion of Etymotic IEMs (which usually just takes a little time), they are great for stage monitoring and are also neutral enough (to varying degrees) for mixing.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 7
How much isolation do you want or require? Have you used the triple flange tips with your Shure IEMs, and can you tolerate using them? What tips do you like best with the Shures.

I recommend avoiding the JH3x, as it doesn‘t have an even FR. If you really want a CIEM, there are other great options. What is your price range?

I’m using the se846 as my stage monitor for drumming, and use the triple flange tips for maximum isolation. They provide more even isolation of all frequencies vs any other combination that I’ve tried so far, including CIEMs. My back-up IEMs are my Etymotics. If you can tolerate the deep insertion of Etymotic IEMs (which usually just takes a little time), they are great for stage monitoring and are also neutral enough (to varying degrees) for mixing.
Thanks for your reply! I wouldn't need more isolation than I got with my Shure 215s, with the standard foam tips. I'm pretty happy with the foam. I haven't tried triple flange tips, I guess I'll give that a go! I have used triple flange with other earbuds and had no issues.

My price range is arroximately 1000€, but I will go higher if there are obvious benefits.

Thanks for your tips!

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Have you had a chance to try out some different types of iems? For bass, i prefer DD iems as well as planars over multi BA. If you have anywhere you can demo that would help a ton. Sony 800st has good bass, as well as some of audeze planar iems. You do sacrifice isolation for those, however. Perhaps a single DD iem like a xelento or t8ie would be worth checking out as well. A lot depends on the tuning, as well. For example, I currently have a moondrop blessing 2, which seems to have so so bass on the FR, but sounds well fleshed out based on the rest of the tuning. Just spitballing here! Perhaps also try the ER2XR, which has good single DD bass, and isolates incredibly well.
I found a store here in Berlin which offers to audition their models, and they carry a wide variety, so I'll probably check that out soon. I definitely want substantial, most importantly deep/extended bass, regardless of tuning/balance. That's my no 1 priority. I checked out the in ears you mentioned, many unfortunately wouldn't be suited for live use because of their shape, I really want them to have the standard live in ear look. Thanks for everything!

Jul 19, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for your reply! I wouldn't need more isolation than I got with my Shure 215s, with the standard foam tips. I'm pretty happy with the foam. I haven't tried triple flange tips, I guess I'll give that a go! I have used triple flange with other earbuds and had no issues.

My price range is arroximately 1000€, but I will go higher if there are obvious benefits.

Thanks for your tips!
I found a store here in Berlin which offers to audition their models, and they carry a wide variety, so I'll probably check that out soon. I definitely want substantial, most importantly deep/extended bass, regardless of tuning/balance. That's my no 1 priority. I checked out the in ears you mentioned, many unfortunately wouldn't be suited for live use because of their shape, I really want them to have the standard live in ear look. Thanks for everything!
With that price range, there are definitely a lot of options available to you. A few things to consider though. Deep, extended bass is not the same as a high quantity of bass, and BA bass, while it can be very extended, is typically dry vs more fun/natural DD bass. Reference monitors for mixing often times have low quantities of bass, though they should have extended freq. range.

These are some overall well balanced options.

- The Shure se846 is a great option, though you may want something different. It does have great bass for BA drivers though.

- For a very neutral tuning, with extended, but low quantities of bass, the Ultimate Ears UERR is an option, in CIEM form. Also, for a neutral tuning, there is the Fearless S6 Pro, both in UIEM or CIEM form. If you want more bass, rather than truly neutral, the Fearless S8 series are great options.

- There are a bunch of great UIEM and CIEM options locally for you, and the ProPhile 8 is excellent, though more pricey.

- Probably, my top UIEM recommendations would be the Sony IER-M9 (approx. $1,000) or the similar IER-M7 ($500). I would research these IEMs more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back