In-Ear Isolatation Headphone for under $100
Jul 22, 2008 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

djevolution212

New Head-Fier
Alright, so I haven't tried any headphones apart from the standard iPod one that obviously came with my iPod, I am sorta an audiophile with no money! :p So I'm looking for the best headphones that'll be under $100 and sound good when I listen to hip-hop/rnb/dance music. I use them in the bus and everything so I'm looking for something that'll go in my ear and isolate the sound.

Thanks!

Update: What will I get for under $100?

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by djevolution212 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those kinda suck, what if I go up to $100? What will I get then?

Based on your specifications, here's a list of IEMs that should sound good with your music and isolate pretty well:

Sennheiser CX500
Shure SE210
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 4
Jays D-jays

These ought to get you started.

Jul 22, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

OK, there are actually a lot of nice options out there for you, but in order for us to help. we need more information. First, we need to know what kind of sound you like, are you a bass fan, love treble, midrange addict, like analytical sound or warm sound? Each earphone has its own characteristic signature and in order for us to match them the best, we need to know what you like and what types of music you listen to. Also, how important is sound isolation to you? Do you prefer ipod-style ear buds or want canal phones? Finally, is it fair to assume you are not planning on running these through an amplifier, just through your ipod? Without knowing these things, here are a few generic recommendations that hover around or below $100

well, i love bass, but i'm really picky with my equalization, i like almost equal treble and bass but still bass heavy.

sound isolation wise, i use it on the bus and train, so just trying to isolate thier sounds out.

i want the canal type..

and no, i don't wanna go through an amplifier...

so yea, what do you guys think?

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 12
Denon c551s? V-moda vibes would be good for what you listen to but I have head a lot of bad things about them so I would be cautious about them. But definately look at the Denons. I wouldnt go with the Shures as lower end shures are not supposed to be all that great. Neither would I get the Senn - quality for money is not as good as other phones. The D-Jays and UEs are worth looking into IMO. If you wanna tolerate a little less bass in exchange for better SQ go with Head-Direct RE2s

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 12
Alright, so I've got down:

Sennheiser CX500
Shure SE210
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 4
Jays D-jays
Denon c551s
Head-Direct RE2s

I need help clamping down, what do you guys think?

Also, how is the Super.Fi 3?

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 12
The RE2's are the best SQ out of all of them but lack the bass you probably want.
Same goes for the Super.fi + the microphonics (cable shake) will probably annoying the crap out of you unless you use a shirt clip for it.

The c551's smaller earbuds give more bass but less isolation.

Can't comment on the d-jays nor the SE210's.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 12
the hell happened the the ER6i at $70 at most etailers hello

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 12
sennheisers have the bass u wanted but i thinks its exaggerated
i myself is a bass lover and i love my um-1 for its boomy bass and excellent midrange. although it goes for $109 but i has a very good build quality and comfort level

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 12
If you want boomy bloated bass go for the Sennheisers. The bass of the RE2s is less dominant and not nearly as overpowering and they have way better mids and highs. The Denons will probably fit your needs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back