In-Ear Headphones Sonically Like DT880?
Jul 7, 2005 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Carbonman

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a pair of in-ear headphones to wear while riding my bike on a trackstand. I love the sound of my DT880s but they're too hot for stationary pedalling. Amplifier will be a home maxed-out PPA. Can anyone give an informed opinion on what would sound good. I'm not too seriously worried about cost, I want really good sound. I would prefer to stay away from the HD600 sonic signature.

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Wow, your question is very interesting for me. I was thinking about buying a pair of closed headphones with stationary pedalling as part of my usage of it (thinking about the AudioTechnica W1000). Last year I was using a pair of Sony ex71 in-ear but they don't sound as good as the big sized headphones like DT880 or others, specially with the soundstage, I find the earbuds sound too much "in the head".

Now, if you say it's too hot to wear big ones then my problem is not solved either! Good thing I read your post. Maybe I should also consider some better "in-ear" than my Sony ex71 but I'm afraid that as good as they may sound, they will all have this "in the head" sound that I dislike...

Hopefully some others chime in to help us out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonman
I'm looking to buy a pair of in-ear headphones to wear while riding my bike on a trackstand. I love the sound of my DT880s but they're too hot for stationary pedalling. Amplifier will be a home maxed-out PPA. Can anyone give an informed opinion on what would sound good. I'm not too seriously worried about cost, I want really good sound. I would prefer to stay away from the HD600 sonic signature.

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 13
The closest would definitely be the Etymotics phones, nice crisp detail in the high frequencies, and overall more flatter bass. Most of the other canalphones lean toward a warmer sound than what the 880 has.

I'd recommend the Etymotic ER6i

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
Wow, your question is very interesting for me. I was thinking about buying a pair of closed headphones with stationary pedalling as part of my usage of it (thinking about the AudioTechnica W1000). Last year I was using a pair of Sony ex71 in-ear but they don't sound as good as the big sized headphones like DT880 or others, specially with the soundstage, I find the earbuds sound too much "in the head".

Now, if you say it's too hot to wear big ones then my problem is not solved either! Good thing I read your post. Maybe I should also consider some better "in-ear" than my Sony ex71 but I'm afraid that as good as they may sound, they will all have this "in the head" sound that I dislike...

Hopefully some others chime in to help us out.

isn't this just plain old logic? big headphones like the DT-880 have an outside-of-the-head sound (and then some), while smaller "head"phones - that go inside the ear - gets an in-the-head sound. without some kind of sound processing or binaural recordings, you won't get in-ears to sound like "out-ears" (partially because they don't use your outer ear
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jul 8, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 13
It looks like I have to figure out whether to go for the ER4S or ER6i. Thanks for the input. I'll keep you posted on my adventures with in-ear headphones.
If anyone has other recommendations, please chip in.

Jul 8, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 13
Hi Carbonman,

I recommend Etymotic ER4S since you will be using it with an amp. Good resolution, details and treble. I love my recently acquired DT-880 and for all the canalphones I used to own (getting out of the carrying-an-amp-around business), ER4S has more similar characteristics than the Shure line, even the E4c.

Just my two cents,
Overlunge

Jul 8, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 13
I'm not for sure if my opinion is really relevant here, but I thought I'd chime in anyways!
biggrin.gif

I've never heard the DT-880's (I'd love to though!) but I can tell you that am a freakin Gradoholic! They are currently the only phones that I'm truely satisfied with. I've also tried the Shure e3's...severly dissapointed. On Wednesday I met a head-fi friend for some coffee and got to try out his ER-4P's and was TRUELY impressed!
biggrin.gif
They sounded fan-freakintastic, and this out of a Rio Karma to a guy who can listen to nothing but Grado's! The detail was there, very articulate, and the bass was also present and everything was quite balanced. I'm so impressed actually, that I'm going to look for a pair in a month or two (when my tuition is paid off!
tongue.gif
).

I don't know if this helps or not, but IMO you should seriously consider the Ety's. They sound great and were much more comfortable than the Shures and other various buds I've tried. Definitely go and have a listen to them if you get the chance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The closest would definitely be the Etymotics phones, nice crisp detail in the high frequencies, and overall more flatter bass. Most of the other canalphones lean toward a warmer sound than what the 880 has.

I'd recommend the Etymotic ER6i

My 2cents..

The Ety ER6i sounds NOTHING like the DT880. First, the bass is weak and powerless, in contrast with DT880's full impactful bass. Second, the DT880 has a recessed midrange, whereas the ER6i has the opposite problem-- the upper mids are jacked up (when the fat lady sings, your ears are in for serious pain!). Third, the ER6i are overly bright-- significantly brighter than the DT880 and even my SR225-- very clinical and unnatural.

Cross the ER6i off your list, and if the ER4S/P is anything like the 6i's, forget about them too.

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
I'm not for sure if my opinion is really relevant here, but I thought I'd chime in anyways!
biggrin.gif

I've never heard the DT-880's (I'd love to though!) but I can tell you that am a freakin Gradoholic! They are currently the only phones that I'm truely satisfied with. I've also tried the Shure e3's...severly dissapointed. On Wednesday I met a head-fi friend for some coffee and got to try out his ER-4P's and was TRUELY impressed!
biggrin.gif
They sounded fan-freakintastic, and this out of a Rio Karma to a guy who can listen to nothing but Grado's! The detail was there, very articulate, and the bass was also present and everything was quite balanced. I'm so impressed actually, that I'm going to look for a pair in a month or two (when my tuition is paid off!
tongue.gif
).

I don't know if this helps or not, but IMO you should seriously consider the Ety's. They sound great and were much more comfortable than the Shures and other various buds I've tried. Definitely go and have a listen to them if you get the chance.
smily_headphones1.gif

welcome to the DARK SIDE..... ETYMOTICS and GRADO RULES!!!!

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
My 2cents..

The Ety ER6i sounds NOTHING like the DT880. First, the bass is weak and powerless, in contrast with DT880's full impactful bass. Second, the DT880 has a recessed midrange, whereas the ER6i has the opposite problem-- the upper mids are jacked up (when the fat lady sings, your ears are in for serious pain!). Third, the ER6i are overly bright-- significantly brighter than the DT880 and even my SR225-- very clinical and unnatural.

Cross the ER6i off your list, and if the ER4S/P is anything like the 6i's, forget about them too.

I disagree, I have the 225's, the ER6i's and have heard the 880's.

The 225 are the brightest to my ears followed by the 880 and then the ER6is. Methinks you never got a good seal with them, as the bass to mids transition is quite flat, in fact, the bass is actually quite prominent and linear. When I first tried the ER6i's, I didn't have a good seal, and they were really shrill and bright.

Few canalphones have really impactful bass, so that's a given except the dual driver models.

He ask was asking which canalphones are the *closest*. I would say that none of the Shures qualify, and the cheaper Superfi's are lacking in the high end, so those don't qualify....so the Ety's are the closest especially the 4S/4P (a bit weak on bass, but very much appromixate the midrange and treble) and maybe the 6 followed by the 6i depending on whether you want more treble or more bass

Which one do *you* suggest then?

Jul 9, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

The 225 are the brightest to my ears followed by the 880 and then the ER6is. Methinks you never got a good seal with them, as the bass to mids transition is quite flat, in fact, the bass is actually quite prominent and linear. When I first tried the ER6i's, I didn't have a good seal, and they were really shrill and bright.

I do have a good seal with them. The ER6i is only decent when you listen in a quiet room. Outside they are nothing but shrill tweeters except when EQ'ed and they distort easily. I'm also a low volume listener and the ER6i is pathetic at low volumes.

Anyway, I was happy when I got my ER6i at first, but the novelty of Ety's detail and clarity wears off quick. The ER6i beats Grados only in how quick they can give you tinnitus.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Few canalphones have really impactful bass, so that's a given except the dual driver models

To me, bass that can be heard but not felt is called a "hum."
tongue.gif

Quote:

Which one do *you* suggest then?

I don't know. The ER6i is the only canalphone I have, and to me, they sound nothing like the DT880-- not even close. You can say they're closest, just like alpha centauri is the closest galaxy to Earth... but it's still far away.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Well, I find the Ety's anything but shrill. The ER6i is like a Sennheiser HD600 compared to my Grado's. In fact, when I need a break from the etchy Grado highs, I turn to my ER6i's. I find the Ety far closer to the 880 than my Grado is. As I said, when the ER6i's aren't sealed properly, they sound shrill, but once I use the Ety Large 2 Flange tips, the sound smoothens right out, and the bass is actually very solid and deep.

All canalphones sound very different from full sized phones. There are no canalphones that comes close to the impact and versatility (soundwise) that a headphone has. You have to make some compromise in highs, lows, dynamics or something. There is always a compromise.

I think everybody hears something different when it comes to canalphones, so I'm beginning to think that the only way to find out is to try one for yourself. I've even heard people call the Shure E3C shrill, which to me is probably the least bright headphone made on this planet as far as I am concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back