In ear headphones for a cyclist?
Oct 2, 2009 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pena135

New Head-Fier
I am new when it comes to headphones and the whole audio market.

I am an avid cyclist and are in the market for some nice in ear headphones. Mainly looking for sound quality, durability and it would not hurt if they were a bit nice looking for when I use them at school. I usually ride between 2-5 hours depending on the training day, so I get a lot of sweat going on. I put my Ipod on my jersey's rear pocket and run the cables inside my jersey and up to my ears. Not a lot of movement on my upper body except when I do sprinting intervals which rarely happens.

I was looking into the Skullcandy Holua only because I can get them for around 50 dollars through a friend, or some Beats by Dr Dre. I do not want to spend more than 100 dollars or so on these in ear headphones. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 9
None of the headphones you have listed are in ear.

I wouldn't suggest a cyclist use in-ear monitors or canalphones; you won't hear anything but the music and it could be dangerous.

If you mean over-the-ear, I might suggest the Koss KSC-75. They're inexpensive, reasonable sounding, especially considering the price, and have a lifetime warranty. Koss will replace them if they get screwed up, for any reason for $6 shipping and handling.

Headroom has them at: Sennheiser PXC 450 - Full Size Noise Canceling Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

You can always spend more if you want, but I'd suggest you start there.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 9
the Beats Tour edition are not in ear? nor the Holua? what are they considered then? Maybe I used the wrong terminology to describe them...?....

I have been riding with headphones at high volume for a very long time now and have never had an accident, I also do not ride on the street so its not an issue. I ride the river bed which there are no cars, one or two cyclist and some slight runners but nothing dangerous about it. It takes me about 20 minutes or so to get there from my house and during that ride I don't ride with headphones on due to cars.

Illl look into those for sure, but I already have over the ear ones and they get really uncomfortable after a while and its annoying to have them over my ear with my glasses and helmet strap also on that part of the ear.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 9
Both the Holua and Tour beats are in ear. The problem is that you posted this in the wrong forum. Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors. There are dozens of "best IEM for under $xx" threads there, and also plenty of "best IEM for working out" threads. The type of sound you prefer would also be helpful for those who might make recommendations.

For starters, take a look at the Maximo Im-590. They are very well-built, quite comfortable, come with a bunch of accessories, and have a very balanced sound. A great starter IEM for those who do not yet know their preferences.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 9
That would be helpful if I had posted in the right forum! Thanks for the heads up, Ill search for those threads.

That's excellent advice, I really do not have a clue as what type of sound I prefer. So those might be a good option. So the Holua or Beats are not good options then?

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 9
There is an excellent review of the beats in the portable forum. Basically, it comes down to whether you listen to rap/pop a lot, because their funky sound signature is designed specifically for those genres. The Holua are most likely garbage for that sort of price - the Ink'd are the only earphones that Skullcandy makes that are actually competitive at their price point (and that's only because they cost ~$11).

There are many great options at the $50 price point, all with different sound signatures and other pros/cons.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Depends if you want to have complate sound isolation, or you prefer to still hear sounds around you ...

Beng & Olufsen is good choice if you want to hear sounds around you and still have light earphones on ...

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 9
They're not often mentioned here, but the Sony MDR-AS100W is a set of headphone IEMs and they're actually quite nice. I think they can be found online for about ~$30 or from the Seattle Sony Outlet for ~$19 after tax.

I find that they're great for exercise, they seem fairly durable, stay on my head/in my ears, low cable noise, water resistant, etc, and they sound pretty good on top of all that. I personally think they look pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back