"in-can" or "hollow" sound in headphones?
Apr 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ixelion

New Head-Fier
I use bookshelf monitors for my everyday computer audio use including music, TV gaming etc. When I switch to headphones (Sennheiser RS180) I am underwhelmed by the "in-can" or "hollow" sound. Is it possible my ears are accustomed to the really flat sound of my monitors or is this an issue with the headphones? Is it the case that it's just not fair to compare headphones and monitors, should I always expect that type of sound? I am using M-audio Bx-5a monitors, which I absolutely love, cant really say the same for the RS180.

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I don´t know about those headphones but I can say that from my personal experience, and from what I have read here too it´s that speakers, and specially monitors are always going to be way better than headphones, no matter how good they are.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 6
That's a very broad statement to make... Do you have other reference points? What other speakers and headphones have you listened to?

Speaking in a very very general sense, headphones will not offer that visceral punch and staging of speakers, but finer details may be more noticeable and the sound while "in your head" might make the staging seem like you're on the stage rather than in front of it (where the mic was placed for recording makes a huge difference here; as counterpoint a proper binaural recording on headphones will blow you away for staging).

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 6
  That's a very broad statement to make... Do you have other reference points? What other speakers and headphones have you listened to?

Alright, maybe it sound too "tough" but you know, headphones only work on your ears, they can be amazingly detailed and stuff but they are noever going to have the imaging of a speaker or the feeling of the air being pushed on your body. Also, the only "good" headphone that I have heard was a SoundMagic HP-100 and I didn´t like it that much, but everytime I heard a studio monitor I was like "Wow".
So, IMO, if you are used to good quality speakers, headphones are almost never going to amaze you that much.

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 6
I should clarify that I don't prefer my monitors because they are speakers, but mainly because of the detail and balance. I also had an in-ear pair of Etymotic HR-5 that were incredibly detailed and balance, and I loved them, that being said IEMs don't have tons of bass which is why I am looking for a headphone equivalent.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 6
Some cans can have a hollow sound, especially closed backs in my experience. The HD 280 Pro do have a bit of a hollow sound for example. I wouldn't put it past the particular headphones in terms of sounding hollow. Internal reflections can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back