IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,807 of 3,340
The fit is on point, i'm certain the shell is probably the same but with my shortened with scissors Azla sednas and removing the 2 silicone rings from the filters (which also makes removing and splitting them an eternity easier) they do not protrude outside of my ear, i can not tell i'm wearing them, and i had massive fitment issues with the Rah.

Picture added to try and show how much length is removed by shortening the tip and removing silicone. To save any confusion, the filter i installed is a zenith 1 piece demeshed, a zenith filter is the same length as a desiliconed 2 piece set up, this is installed temporarily until they are broken in.

CF56CF7E-1DDB-4E39-A812-4196F28775A8.jpeg

1D9D438E-C421-4162-91A0-9B2F19F71324.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,808 of 3,340
Interesting. A better snugger fit would be the only improvement i'd want to make. Is this the o ring on the filter screw you remove? Also what do you trim off the sednas?

I had a call from my mum earlier saying she had found a bag of gadgets did I still want them. Popped round and it was my old portable set up from nearly 20 years ago with an old pair of e3c's. Will set it up at some point to see how it sounds.

Attachments

• 20200630_164848.jpg
    20200630_164848.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2,809 of 3,340
Interesting. A better snugger fit would be the only improvement i'd want to make. Is this the o ring on the filter screw you remove? Also what do you trim off the sednas?

There are 2 O rings, 1 on the nozzle threads and 1 on the filter threads.

On any tips you wish to shorten you would just cut down the length of the silicone stem which you slide over the filter housing. How much is dependant on your ears and you can easily go too short then the tip is trash, for me I cut off all but 1/2mm of the grey colour before it turns black and then the tip slides all the way down to the start of the shell of the IEM. So if you were using a nozzle to reduce bass it would be covered. Cutting that much off and fitted that way the tip is 1mm away from the end of the filter end. I can also install it to the correct stopping point to gain a little length back. Before doing this you may wish to practice on an old tip that is a size larger than your usual size and on another in your actual size. In doing this I need and wanted to use a larger tip so as to not insert really deeply.

Edit. To add I have mine at the maximum shortness that it is possible to go. If you want a closer fit and deep I would only trim the tip. If you also wish for easier filter separation and even less insertion depth then remove the O rings. Really think about it.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,810 of 3,340

I had a call from my mum earlier saying she had found a bag of gadgets did I still want them. Popped round and it was my old portable set up from nearly 20 years ago with an old pair of e3c's. Will set it up at some point to see how it sounds.

Those Irivers were wonderful players, I'm pretty sure I had mine around 2004 maybe a little later. Used it with Ety er6i and the Shure E2c.

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2,812 of 3,340
Also congtarts all with your PB1 deliveries they look cool.

Also really anticipating for peoples Halcyon deliveries and still very envious of all who managed to purchase one, the PB One is a known entity but the Halcyon is the real deal excitement we're all waiting for, they do look super nice, the best looking ones so far.

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,813 of 3,340
PB One and Halcyon arrived today. It's been a good afternoon. :wink:

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #2,814 of 3,340
In the last 6 months I have told myself the PB One is just a Rah in black. Today on day one I have been listening all day and pretty much agreed they are infact just that, very much all I loved but something seemed different and I could not for the life of me figure out what. Now audio memory doesn’t last 5 seconds never mind 6 months but I simply do not recall the level of detail and separation the PB One has in the Rah, the Rah is way better than the Aten at this but I’ve just listened to some classical pieces I’ve heard a hundred times like it was the first time, hence my earlier comment of trying to offer initial impressions and failing as all my descriptors are just simply over used, yet here I am again doing much the same.

Bob had said the Halcyon are detail monsters and I doubt not, you’re in for a treat with those.

I’m very keen to hear someone’s thoughts on the PB One who also owns Rah simultaneously because as I mentioned for me it has been 6 long months.

I’m in that church, the church is in my room. We are one. There is music everywhere in my room just floating around me 360° far and wide. Absolutely brilliant recording of that rooms acoustics. Everyone is placed in the position they are in, so much individual instrument nuance. My hands were clasped together over my mouth in such amazement.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #2,815 of 3,340
I thought the vents were going to be copper.

As per the email offering PB One.
Also I was hoping but deep down knew it wouldn’t be that the cable connectors were black. I also never received the hard portable carry case but honestly I don’t need it so I’m ok with that. I even understand there may have been difficulties in going brass on the ports and whilst it was a nice touch I’m ok with it not being brass too.

“PB stands for Private Build and will only be available to existing customers, so if you don't own a IMR product you cannot buy any.

These builds will be limited to just 50units per time and I expect to do no more than 3 different builds a year. These will also be black (main chassis) and brass colour (ports) and the only models in this colour.”

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #2,816 of 3,340
There are 2 O rings, 1 on the nozzle threads and 1 on the filter threads.

On any tips you wish to shorten you would just cut down the length of the silicone stem which you slide over the filter housing. How much is dependant on your ears and you can easily go too short then the tip is trash, for me I cut off all but 1/2mm of the grey colour before it turns black and then the tip slides all the way down to the start of the shell of the IEM. So if you were using a nozzle to reduce bass it would be covered. Cutting that much off and fitted that way the tip is 1mm away from the end of the filter end. I can also install it to the correct stopping point to gain a little length back. Before doing this you may wish to practice on an old tip that is a size larger than your usual size and on another in your actual size. In doing this I need and wanted to use a larger tip so as to not insert really deeply.

Edit. To add I have mine at the maximum shortness that it is possible to go. If you want a closer fit and deep I would only trim the tip. If you also wish for easier filter separation and even less insertion depth then remove the O rings. Really think about it.

Thanks for this it's much appreciated. Annoyingly I put all the tips I tried with the Rah in the sedna packet and I have no idea what ones are which now. Do the sednas have 2 colours on the stem?

I put some silicon ones on them last night that were a very good match. Sounded a lot better than the foamies I had on them and had a great seal. I'll get a pic up of them later to hopefully identify them.

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #2,818 of 3,340
Those Irivers were wonderful players, I'm pretty sure I had mine around 2004 maybe a little later. Used it with Ety er6i and the Shure E2c.

They really were great. 2004 sounds about right for when I got mine too. I think the 140 was more rated but I loved the 340 it had a lovely sound. One of the 140's I added a bigger battery and a 200gb ssd drive and it was unmatched for years. It was about at this time that I moved from cheap Sony ear buds to shure e2c, found head fi and a life of spending too much on headphones.

When you get to see him. Can you compare 4.4mm of m15 to dx228 please?

Also congtarts all with your PB1 deliveries they look cool.

That is definitely something we will be checking out. He's more into over ears where I'm not so much these days but it will be good to see what the amp8 can drive. I'm also interested to compare amp9 as it is so different.

I picked up the ak4499 zishan in the AE sale and it came yesterday. Only took a week. I have the 4497 one which I use as a burn in device and liked after it had 100's of hours on it.
Anyway on high quality audio setting with turbo mode on that utilises the full 4499 chip it sounds crazy good. Battery drains quick in turbo mode and gets crazy hot but it only needs to be ready when the 220 is charging. I like it so much I've ordered an upgraded version with better chips and will sell this one on. They are very basic devices but I like them.

Attachments

• 20200701_122250_HDR.jpg
    20200701_122250_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #2,819 of 3,340
That is definitely something we will be checking out. He's more into over ears where I'm not so much these days but it will be good to see what the amp8 can drive.
M15 4.4mm is meant for headphones and less sensitive iems. As balanced out is silly 3ohm. And thats a deal breaker for me. As it wont work with My LX and most of my cables 4.4mm. Besides i am not sold on SE...
Though this is no issue for any IMR iems. As they are all 32 ohm.

Jul 1, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,820 of 3,340
M15 4.4mm is meant for headphones and less sensitive iems. As balanced out is silly 3ohm. And thats a deal breaker for me. As it wont work with My LX and most of my cables 4.4mm. Besides i am not sold on SE...
Though this is no issue for any IMR iems. As they are all 32 ohm.

I think I noticed this with ST7(rebadged Shouer EJ07) on balanced out from m15 - they're 17+/- 2 Ohm impedence and seem to get a bit of odd high frequency sibilance/distortion from balanced out sometimes. Shame the balanced impedence is 3 Ohm - think the PB One will live on the m15 now 🥳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back