IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #1,141 of 3,340
You just made me be reminded of this lol
:D Yup, just change the accent and that is pretty much me and my mates psychedelic bicycle riding days adventures
Those were the days

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #1,143 of 3,340
OMG such a beautiful tune! Thank you. I'm a huge Olafur Arnalds fan and never heard this before. I come to this forum for (excellent) headfi advice. Other than IMR, this is the best thing I've discovered here! Thank you.
You're right, that's exquisite. Thats going on the purchase list....

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #1,144 of 3,340
And now for something completely different George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Herbie Hancock...... Also perfect for RAH

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #1,146 of 3,340
Yes! I love this album. It's brilliant, a reworking of a brilliant set of songs!

A personal favourite of mine from Max Richter:
For me: 'Memory house', 'Blue Notebooks', 'Infra', and 'Songs from Before' are just as about as perfect as you could ever wish for!

Dec 30, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,149 of 3,340
RAHs are in the house! Finally got them and all I can say is holy cow, these are amazing! Out of the box with Black / Black and the stock silicone, I was pretty blown away... I moved over to Black / Red with foams and my my my... Wow. Deep lush & expansive bass moving into those buttery Smooth mids and all that deliciousness of clarity, detail and sparkly resolution up top with nothing crowding anything else out. But you already knew that. I too have dropped a small fortune on various IEMS this past year in particular but these are far more than I was hoping for. They are everything I loved about the Zeniths with even more detail in the bass with all the harshness and metallicness removed. I wouldn't call myself a bass head, but if the black lowers produce a slam like that with all that texture and detail then perhaps I am. I was pretty convinced I would never sell my P1s (which IMO blow the CL2s away) because of the detail and clarity they produce but with the RAHs Bob has done it. The Planar in there does everything I was hoping for and that massive DD + Piezo back fill and round it all out. I know they change and morph with a few more hours but I think I'm in love.

you guys have to stop this...besides R2 and Rah I bought the EELX and the wm1a ... I can’t stop thinking I agree with what you and others just said about Rah and now thinking about buying the PB one just for the hack of it- such unbelievable steals we have with Bob’s IEMs! But seriously I don’t need 15 sets of IEMs...

Dec 30, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #1,150 of 3,340
Interesting. I usually don't like Classical music and until now I did not bother listening to it on the RAH. But God damn there is so much emotion in this piece and it sounds absolutely brilliant with these IEM's. A real joy to listen to, especially at such a late hour. Didn't even notice how time went by haha.
Don't read the YT comments

"This is in the running for worst music I have ever heard. It makes the kitsch of Tchaikovsky sound like beautiful dissonances of Schoenberg. Your bookshelf of poisonous literature is fitting for this pretentious background irritation that Richter has shat into the world."

Dec 30, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,151 of 3,340
Question, do I need to preorder the Halcyon again or do I just wait to get an email for me to fulfill the rest of the price?

I love my RAH and so the Private Build 1 seems interesting. However, the bass is not handled by the Planar driver, so what is the point of a bigger planar?

Is it for Soundstage or seperation? And by that I mean, there is literally more area on the planar driver for the sound to come from. That is about a 44% of increase in size if it was a 16:9 TV screen.
(I don't mean tuning things like 10kHz+).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #1,152 of 3,340
OK... I am confused... let’s dumb it down grade-school style... If we take the Rah or the Aten as baselines, how will the sound signature of the Halcyon and the PB One compare to the baseline? What about the Semper? Tech is great and interesting, but we enjoy how an IEMs sounds... Of course none of us have ears on these, but maybe some educated guesses...

Right now I don’t need another IEM - this year I have picked up the Rah, Aten, Zenith, MS4, TSMR-3 Pro, S8F, DM7, T3, T4, HA-FD01, KPE, BL-03, Cardinal, and others I forget. So, of course, I will buy another one. But which?

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #1,153 of 3,340
Time to get out of your comfort zone and sell some. I need to do so too.

From the last email
Combining the high performance Aten 15mm driver with a electrostatic driver with its own internal transformer (no additional special power supply required), the R3 Halcyon is for those who want the best bass response in the business combined with detail and placement levels usually the preserve of 8+ driver iems.

The tuning offers ultra detail retrieval and placement while retaining the wonderful organics you are used to with an IMR in-ear monitor. Mids and treble will satisfy the most hardened audiophile while providing an exciting listening experience full of body and SOUL.

There is nothing quantitative to the description, but it sounds like how I would describe the Rah. (Which more often I am using over my Shuoer EJ07 and Lcd-i4.)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #1,154 of 3,340
I love how the Rah sounds. I have sold most of my IEMs and will be buying a few of the IMR R3 models.

Current IEM:
IMR RAH
Oriolus Forsteni

IMR Halcyon (Pre ordered)
IMR Semper (Will order when available)

Sold:
IMR R1 (Fit issues)
IMR Zenith (Fit issues)
JVC HA DF01
Noble K10U
EarSonics S-EM9
Campfire Audio Dorado
Clear Tune Monitors VS-4
AKG 3003

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #1,155 of 3,340
I really like Bob's engineering and his customer services has been unbelievable however I would say he seems a bit impulsive at times.
“Impulsive” or whatever set of character traits passes for it is probably the reason we’ve got this crazy innovative, boundary-pushing line-up in the first place though! It’s difficult to follow sometimes, and nothing is ever set in stone, but as you say customer service is at an exceptional standard so the rough edges are smoothed over. Bob replied to me individually before sending out the collective e-mail - a small detail that illustrates his dedication to each and every customer before marketing concerns. And I was writing to request a refund!
Top Of The Line Vintage Tube amp system - This is how the R2 RED's sounds. Relaxed, smooth, warm, luscious
Sounds good... a pretty different take on the IMR house sound then. How is tonality? The Zenith was a bit grating for me, the Red seem like a polar opposite. IMR drivers have it in them to sound tubey, and respond well to tube amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back