IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #451 of 3,340
Just tried my RAH this evening after a late finish at work.

Straight out of the box with black/black, plugged into the Ifi Audio Idsd black label Dac and so far they sound very very good.

If my old RHA CL2 are anything to go by then the planer will need around 150-200 hours before it really starts singing.

This is pretty spooky. I came back on to say that finally with the Rah I have found a pair of in ears that I like better than the heir audio 4's that have been my favourite pair for years.

I'm pretty sure I bought them off you on avf about a decade ago ha ha. Full circle.

I'm thinking I will preorder the halycon when they come up. I miss read Bobs email and thought the prices included discount. I want to hear in ear electrostats out of interest and had been eyeing up fearless audio Roland as a potential purchase. But for the money and knowing I love the R1 R2 & Rah it makes sense. Then if feel planar will add anything worth £700 have time to save for the semper.

Well I've convinced myself anyway ha ha. One thing I found after I preordered the Rah is that I was able to hold off buying anything else knowing they were coming. For the first time in years I got through 11/11 without buying a boatload of chi fi and cancelled my tin p1 order from drop after the Rah.

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #452 of 3,340
The Tin Hifi P1 has an advantage of not running through a crossover.

It gives the best controlled flat planar bass of any iem I have. And keeps it when EQ'd via my small E1da PowerDac V2.

My Shuoer EJ07 has amazing bass but it is more of a Blon-03 type of bass.

The P1 is a unique experience. That should not be compared to a hybrid. I wouldn't have canceled it.

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #453 of 3,340
Yeah in many ways I wish I'd kept the order for the P1's as they do sound unique. It was them or the Rah though as I couldn't afford both and drop were playing about putting back shipping dates etc.

One day if I see them cheap enough I'll buy a pair. Or the inevitable P2. I do like hearing a driver alone to hear exactly what it can do.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #454 of 3,340
Can you guys give insight on the mids (are they as recessed as with the R1 (was kinda v shaped to me, only IMR i have own), more refined like with the Aten or even better, meaning more balanced). I would put money on the table that the mids are not forward and pronounced with all the bass and treble quantity or have you found a filter combination that works best for vocals and guitars where mids are crucial? All in all, if the RAH can be configured almost with harmonic balance where the bass doesnt overshadow the mids too much while the treble isnt overdone, then we have a winner here, with all the technical capabilities (soundstage, imaging, seperation, bass control) that supposedly come with the RAH. Somebody willing to send them to a reputable reviewer? Not sure if reviewing would make sense as the RAH is quite exclusive and not open for sale so people interested could just go and buy them...
Oh, and what kind of surprised me when putting the R1 against the FLC8 was that the FLC8 made a certain part of a song sound more spacey although those IEMs are not known to have a big soundstage. So all the time i was wondering if the FLCS just have better mids or if the more spacey impression of the sound effect was due to better soundstage height and depth. As R1 totally and without doubt has the wider soundstage.)...
So, i am looking forward to a description of RAH´s soundstage characteristics/technicalities...

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #455 of 3,340
Right so here goes my impressions;

Dap - Sony wm1a
Cable - 4.4mm balanced eros II hybrid copper/silver
Tips - spiral dots

Filter/nozzle choise - As with zeniths i found black all the way to have most pleasant and organic sound for me FOR NOW.
I found red nozzle interesting. I thing red and black keeps mids further out and gives that W signatures.
Blue bass filter is actually in my consideration as it is alot more controlled with slightly less quantity. Still going quite low.

Comparing it to Campfire Atlas;

In few words - they are toe to toe. Similar in signatures with above set up of filters.
It will come down to tip rolling and genre mainly.
Main difference and Rah win is Atlas lacks in Subbass slightly. I think drive size does come into play. Atlas is slightly more midbass forward. I dont listen to rock but i think that would work best for that kind of music.

Mids are a bit more forward on Atlas too but that might be due to tips i was using.
I used dakoni audio tips they tame those bright highs and do not affect soundstage. I could not get spiral dots to stay in ears with Atlas. And foam tips reduce Rah soundstage and muffle midbass.

Upper mid and treble is too early to judge. But i think Altas has just very slight advantage in detail retrieval. But then they are slightly brighter. I think this will be very dependant on person and how they percieve treble.

Rah has slightly wider soundstage. Imaging is similar for me.

And last but not least - Fit.

This is where Rah Improved a lot over zeniths at least.Atlas however is very ear and tip picky. I personally had it quite comfy with dakoni audio foam tips. But could not get silicon tips to stay in ear.

End line

Atlas and Rah are very similar. But Bob did such an amazing Job here + gives you versatility with filters. And my personal is IMR base is unmatched so far. It is just fuller deeper and that is my vote for Rah.

Atlas is officially for sale. Lol

Hoping to hear someone elses thoughts if you own both.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #457 of 3,340
Could tip rolling for even wider nozzle tips reduce the bass and help the rest of the spectrum step for you guys?

Surprised nobody requested Bob make an additional wider nozzle to add to the set.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #458 of 3,340
Spiral dots are by far the best tips. For Rah and zeniths. Shallow fit and wide bore improves soundstage. And thicher silicone makes bass controlled and punchier.
Best Sq upgrade for money by far.
Downside is getting it fit and might not work well with very bright iems but that goes to most silicon tips

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #459 of 3,340
Could tip rolling for even wider nozzle tips reduce the bass and help the rest of the spectrum step for you guys?
Surprised nobody requested Bob make an additional wider nozzle to add to the set.

I think this is the good and 'bad' of it - Just tried spiral dot and made the sound markedly worse [with the current set up] (using New Bee foam tips)
In general though Spiral Tips are my go to for silicon tips but these days almost every IEM I use have the NewBee foams on them...they just work for me
To my ears Bob has created a 'Michelin Star' type of quality IEM - In the sense that a master chef has added a number of ingredients in such a way that an award winning final dish has been perfected and offered. No matter how great that dish is though,
if you don't like the flavour no amount of seasoning or trying to adjust it will help to change that 'perfection' into something else that would become your own 'perfection'
In other words - I find Bob's tuning of his IMR's works best the nearer to keep it to how he himself tunes and loves the house sound of his IEMs
I think its fair enough to say that Bob likes Bass! So I find I can get an approximation of a 'balanced sound' but if I try to get too far away from that mighty low end the tuning starts to not really work
I found myself using the pink/or purple and gold tops...same as with my Atens. Works perfectly for me with my set up / tips etc but when I try to tweak away from this it never seems to quite work :)

To answer your question though - You just gotta find what works for your own ears / DAP / Music tastes etc etc.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #460 of 3,340
I remember being floored with the Zenith then the Aten at how much more these IEM’s were more like a full size open back headphone. I’d like to claim we’re entering the near field monitor phase now. I can’t wait for the full sized tower speaker versions in the future.

Yours faithfully

Still discovering my music

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #461 of 3,340
The Tin Hifi P1 has an advantage of not running through a crossover.

It gives the best controlled flat planar bass of any iem I have. And keeps it when EQ'd via my small E1da PowerDac V2.

My Shuoer EJ07 has amazing bass but it is more of a Blon-03 type of bass.

The P1 is a unique experience. That should not be compared to a hybrid. I wouldn't have canceled it.

P1 is definitely a keeper for me. Also love the P1 and 9038s combo. I love the Tapes too, but prefer the mid vocal tones on the P1. Did you get caught up in the T4 hype? If you have that too, try the cable that comes with it on the Tape.
Am hoping the Rahs will add a little more bass extension compared to the P1. My Rahs appear to have left UK shores. Hopefully won't be long now.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #462 of 3,340
Your item is due to leave Nottingham Mail Centre to go to Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre. More information will be available as it travels through our network.

It's been like this since Wednesday. Very frustrating...

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #463 of 3,340
Been listening to Rah till 1am yesterday.

And they are in my ears now and will stay for another 9hrs now. Burn in in progress:)

And it definitely is geting better and better when your ear adapt to it.

I have tried black zenith filter on yesterday just out of curiousity. And Rah went back into that untamed bass machinegun as Zs were, or close to it, while having better upper end.

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #464 of 3,340
So based on the Rah which are spectacular, what exactly would adding a dual electrostatic do in the Semper TOTL, as of right now I can’t imagine what so ever how it can get better than the Rah. With the Aten I called them amazing but still could hear how they could be improved and the Rah fix every tiny issue I had with Aten.

@EWASS I thought the same, i own R1 zenith and i'm waiting RAH.
So I bought Shuoer Tape to understand low voltage electrostatic driver "taste" and compare it with RAH

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #465 of 3,340
@EWASS I thought the same, i own R1 zenith and i'm waiting RAH.
So I bought Shuoer Tape to understand low voltage electrostatic driver "taste" and compare it with RAH
I did exactly the same, only it appears that even though I ordered it a week ago, the Tape will land before the Rah :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back