IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #3,196 of 3,340
I've been rolling nozzles and filters for two days now and have settled on three main lower/upper configurations for different preferences:
  • Purple/orange is the closest to a reference sound; bass is not in your face but as a result is very articulate and well-defined. Best soundstage as well. Really digging this combo at the moment.
  • Red/blue seems to be many people's favourite on this thread and I can understand why. Impactful bass with energetic highs - this is more of a slight V-shaped signature.
  • Black/black provides towering bass for when you want your skull to rattle.
20200925_111754.jpg

If you are curious, Crinacle was nice enough to take out of his own time to graph my iem Rah and filters.

https://crinacle.com/2020/05/05/imr-rah-unboxing/

Sep 25, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #3,197 of 3,340
Oct 10, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #3,198 of 3,340
Hi everyone! Are there any owners or former owners of Ibasso DX160 and Imr Rah or Pb One?
What do you think about this pair-up. Is the signature warm and lushy or transparent? What about detail revealIng, soundstage? Is treble peaky?
Thank you in andvance for the answer.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #3,199 of 3,340
@Dron86 Let me check that this week-end I own both DX160 and Rah

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #3,200 of 3,340
Hi everyone! Are there any owners or former owners of Ibasso DX160 and Imr Rah or Pb One?
What do you think about this pair-up. Is the signature warm and lushy or transparent? What about detail revealIng, soundstage? Is treble peaky?
Thank you in andvance for the answer.

I have the DX160, which I use regularly with the RAH. Firstly I think the DX160 is a great compact size and comparatively comes with rather good power output.
I find it drives the RAH very well in both 4.4mm and 3.5mm. I have the first release DX160, but I have had the OpAmp converted by iBasso to the one that the new DX160 currently has. I think the conversion has improved the 3.5mm output significantly.

I am using the Rah with the Grey bass and the Black top. I am very happy with the Bass with this setup and do not find the treble at all peaky. One reason I like IMR is that with the fuller bass I can get from them, it still retains a very good soundstage and I find it does not drown out detail for me. If I compare RAH when using with DX160 and Pioneer XDP-30R it is definately a warmer sound so there is probably some DAC dependency there. If I need to choose if it is lushy or transparent I think I would choose transparent. I listen to a lot of vocal tracks and I think voice and instruments together are well defined. My thoughts are with a lush sound perhaps there may be a little more bleeding or merging between music and vocals.

I also have a pair of Shouer Tapes that has estat. Now if I compare this with the Rah I do hear a crisper extended treble with the Tapes. I guess I'm hearing a little more sparkle with the Tapes. The low to mid range which includes the vocals are more in command with the Rah and for this reason I still think the Rah wins hands down. The Tapes however, have made me decide on getting the Semper.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Semper will compare with the Rah.

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #3,201 of 3,340
I have the DX160, which I use regularly with the RAH. Firstly I think the DX160 is a great compact size and comparatively comes with rather good power output.
I find it drives the RAH very well in both 4.4mm and 3.5mm. I have the first release DX160, but I have had the OpAmp converted by iBasso to the one that the new DX160 currently has. I think the conversion has improved the 3.5mm output significantly.

I am using the Rah with the Grey bass and the Black top. I am very happy with the Bass with this setup and do not find the treble at all peaky. One reason I like IMR is that with the fuller bass I can get from them, it still retains a very good soundstage and I find it does not drown out detail for me. If I compare RAH when using with DX160 and Pioneer XDP-30R it is definately a warmer sound so there is probably some DAC dependency there. If I need to choose if it is lushy or transparent I think I would choose transparent. I listen to a lot of vocal tracks and I think voice and instruments together are well defined. My thoughts are with a lush sound perhaps there may be a little more bleeding or merging between music and vocals.

I also have a pair of Shouer Tapes that has estat. Now if I compare this with the Rah I do hear a crisper extended treble with the Tapes. I guess I'm hearing a little more sparkle with the Tapes. The low to mid range which includes the vocals are more in command with the Rah and for this reason I still think the Rah wins hands down. The Tapes however, have made me decide on getting the Semper.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Semper will compare with the Rah.
While i agree dac affect the sound noticably, amp implementation should affect it even more significantly IMO.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #3,202 of 3,340
While i agree dac affect the sound noticably, amp implementation should affect it even more significantly IMO.

This is true.
I have a portable vaccum amp and another portable amp, which allows me to switch opamps that I connect the dx160 to.
It gives me many different permutations between hardware and IEM.

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #3,203 of 3,340
Hi guys, I just got the Rah, what filters do you guys use. I use the red and black and the sound is enjoyable. I only wish a bit more separation of instruments

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #3,204 of 3,340
Hi guys, I just got the Rah, what filters do you guys use. I use the red and black and the sound is enjoyable. I only wish a bit more separation of instruments
Try dialing down the bass to Blue Lower (1 notch down) and go to Blue Top (more open) and try a wide bore tip. You should get more air and more separation with plenty of bass.

Nov 9, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3,205 of 3,340
What's up guys? Just thought I'd toss a question out here. I just got my Fusion CIEMs (7 months later but finally!) They look gorgeous, sound fantastic and the fit is perfect....
BUT honestly, my RAH is still my favorite IEM of them all (I do love the EDP too) so, I was just wondering if anyone here has ventured to have theirs reshelled as a custom? I'm thinking about it ..... But of course Id lose tuneability and Customs typically deepen the bass. So I tried a little experiment this weekend. I pulled the upper and lower filters off and inserted the tips that came with a set of Nobles into the opening and they sounded pretty good.
Given that Itsfit Lab started as a resheller and still performs this service, I've been thinking about it, because honestly, the only shortcoming of the IMR range is the isolation.
Any thoughts of pros / cons from any of you?

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,206 of 3,340
What's up guys? Just thought I'd toss a question out here. I just got my Fusion CIEMs (7 months later but finally!) They look gorgeous, sound fantastic and the fit is perfect....
BUT honestly, my RAH is still my favorite IEM of them all (I do love the EDP too) so, I was just wondering if anyone here has ventured to have theirs reshelled as a custom? I'm thinking about it ..... But of course Id lose tuneability and Customs typically deepen the bass. So I tried a little experiment this weekend. I pulled the upper and lower filters off and inserted the tips that came with a set of Nobles into the opening and they sounded pretty good.
Given that Itsfit Lab started as a resheller and still performs this service, I've been thinking about it, because honestly, the only shortcoming of the IMR range is the isolation.
Any thoughts of pros / cons from any of you?
Hmm Rah in custom. That is really interesting idea. Though i think you would need large vents anyways for such size DD and then planar.
But if only you could get Rah sound with good fit that would be win win situation.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #3,207 of 3,340
Hmm Rah in custom. That is really interesting idea. Though i think you would need large vents anyways for such size DD and then planar.
But if only you could get Rah sound with good fit that would be win win situation.
I'm going to write Kien and see what he has to say.... My only hesitation is overblowing the bass with no tuning capability, But I will say that until they fully burned in, the black lower was too much for me .... but now that they've got 100s of hour on them, I tried black and stayed there with the blue filter, so..... Customs should be OK....

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #3,208 of 3,340
I'm going to write Kien and see what he has to say.... My only hesitation is overblowing the bass with no tuning capability, But I will say that until they fully burned in, the black lower was too much for me .... but now that they've got 100s of hour on them, I tried black and stayed there with the blue filter, so..... Customs should be OK....
I just wonder if going custom and changing housing and nozzle geometry wont affect soundstage.

Let us know how it works out.

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #3,209 of 3,340
I
I just wonder if going custom and changing housing and nozzle geometry wont affect soundstage.

Let us know how it works out.
If I actually do it, I sure will. Your questions are essentially the same as mine. haven't heard back from Kien as yet. I'll keep you posted. It's probaby a question I should ask of Bob as well. Just as a matter of interest, here's what he came up with for my fusions.

Fusion CIEM.jpg

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #3,210 of 3,340
I

If I actually do it, I sure will. Your questions are essentially the same as mine. haven't heard back from Kien as yet. I'll keep you posted. It's probaby a question I should ask of Bob as well. Just as a matter of interest, here's what he came up with for my fusions.

Fusion CIEM.jpg
Oh yeh Bob will have an idea as he was(still is?) planning to make customs.

Obviously he might not be able to tell you much if hes still planning on doing customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back