IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #3,153 of 3,340
3. Getting a good seal since I got the Azla Xelastic tips.

I decided to tip roll back to the Xelastec and it became boomy mid bass and lifeless, I was on black nozzle blue filter de-meshed. Switched the nozzle to grey which marginally helped the boomy mid bass, switched back to a super cheapo no name silicone tip and the life is back again as much as it can be with the PB One and a narrow bore where as normal Azla Sedna widebore tips will give some more energy back more than these tips. I do use the Xelastec on the Aten and Zenith to good effect though. So maybe it’s your tips, I liked the Xelastec on the PB One when I was still burning in but switched not because of the sound but I was tip rolling for other reasons and now I have come back to it I do not like it and whilst not as drastically as bad sounding as your descriptors it is in that direction for sure.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #3,154 of 3,340
Finally got my PB1 today.
First thing I noticed was the socket didn't fit any of my cables.
Had to start using a nail filer to round the edges in order to fit in the socket.

Changed out the filters to purple bottom and green top, since that's what I enjoyed on the RAH.

Pairing with my ZX507 on high gain and i'm enjoying it so far.

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #3,155 of 3,340
Finally got my PB1 today.
First thing I noticed was the socket didn't fit any of my cables.
Had to start using a nail filer to round the edges in order to fit in the socket.

Changed out the filters to purple bottom and green top, since that's what I enjoyed on the RAH.

Pairing with my ZX507 on high gain and i'm enjoying it so far.
Do you listening to a specific type of music that complements the purple/green combo?

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #3,156 of 3,340
Do you listening to a specific type of music that complements the purple/green combo?
I listen to a lot of different music. I have a preference for more balanced signature.

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #3,157 of 3,340
2. I've tried black/blue (which I use on my Aten) purple/gold, grey/green, silver/purple, blue/red. They just sound...I don't know. Not exciting? Kind of hollow and muffled at the same time?

With your Xelastec tips, try purple lower blue upper. Infact just keep the blue upper with all combos as everything you have tried in that list always tips the balance towards being bass heavy which will darken the sound. With these Xelastec tips my sweet spot is Red lower blue upper without mesh.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #3,159 of 3,340
Pairing the PB1 with the M15 DAP today.
I think I've put on about 5hrs on the PB1 now. Initially, it sounded warm but now it's a bit less. Treble has opened up as well, which is probably why it's sounding less warm.

Not bad for the $350 I paid for it :)

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #3,161 of 3,340
Short background on me: I have previously owned the IMR R1, IMR R1 Zenith, IMR R2 Aten, and IMR Rah. My reference IEM is the Sony MDR-EX1000.

I will offer up my mini comparison of PB1 vs. Halcyon.

I've only just just broken in each for my preferred crazy duration (16 days for Halcyon, 14 days for PB1) playing pink noise. I may want to append or adjust these impressions later since at this point I'll only be going on about two hours of listening on each.

I'll skip over all of the build quality, dimensions, driver configuration, etc. that everyone reading this thread should be aware of. All of this listening has been done using a Fiio X7 Mk. II using the Fiio AM3D THX AAA amp. Also, the filters are purple/purple and the cable is a Plussound X Series pure copper. Tips are MandarinEs Symbio W.

Bass: More midbass for the Halcyon. The PB1 is more balanced. I won't say that the Halcyon is "bloated," but I will say that I prefer the better relative extension and balance of the PB1. The Halcyon has more "thump" in a mainstream way, but I don't like it as much as the PB1's balance. Granted, I'm sure the Halcyon has every bit as much extension as the PB1, but I think it has a midbass bump that masks that.

Midrange: PB1 has a planar driver and the Halcyon doesn't. The PB1's midrange is more forward and has abilities that the Halcyon doesn't possess. This will probably make most people prefer male vocals on the PB1.

Treble: This is where things diverge greatly.

Halcyon: First off, I tried purple/blue, which was my preferred combination with the Rah. But, wow, that was a lot of treble. Not harsh, just too much. I backed down to the green top filter since I knew gold would be too dark, but it was also a bit too shy on bite. I switched to purple, and that was sweet spot of amplitude and dynamics (I listened to the Halcyon first, which is why I also used the purple/purple combo on the PB1 as well, to make an apples-to-apples comparison).

The treble on the Halcyon with its "electrostatics" (maybe they're the Sonion electrets, who knows but Bob) just annihilates the PB1. In passages with complex material, the PB1 just sounds like "shhhhhhhhhhhh," while with the Halycon you can actually hear the individual instruments.

I don't think I can put a finer point on it than that. While the PB1 has better bass, and better midrange, the treble articulation that the Halcyon can produce makes it the better choice for most people, if you listen to music as loudly as I do. If you listen to music relatively quietly, the PB1 might be the better choice. At moderate to high volume, or with complex passages, the PB1's ceramic piezo gets saturated and things can sound blurry. The PB1 can have improved treble articulation at lower volumes, but it still won't match the Halcyon. I don't know what the ceramic piezo's role is with the Halcyon, but it's quite diminished.

Yes, I listen to things loud. Not hearing loss in five minutes loud, but pretty damn loud. IMR products need medium to high levels to sound their best, and some reviewers out there should understand that. Wink, wink, ahem. Throwing your "four watts" of micro iDSD Black Label at a set of IEMs if you don't turn the volume knob past "Is this loud? I can still hear my heartbeat, so maybe not? I'm not sure."

Anyhow, I look forward to feedback, criticism, and people telling me I'm deaf or I don't know what I'm talking about.

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #3,162 of 3,340
For anyone thinking about jumping on the iBasso iT00 train, The IMR acoustic dampers fit.
iBasso iT00 wIMR filters.jpg

In comparison the iBasso filters (highlighted w/arrow) are shorter.
iBasso tip vs IMR tip.jpg

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #3,163 of 3,340
For anyone thinking about jumping on the iBasso iT00 train, The IMR acoustic dampers fit.
Isn't this a surprise! It may be fun to try once they are fully burned in.

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #3,164 of 3,340
Short background on me: I have previously owned the IMR R1, IMR R1 Zenith, IMR R2 Aten, and IMR Rah. My reference IEM is the Sony MDR-EX1000.

I've only just just broken in each for my preferred crazy duration (16 days for Halcyon, 14 days for PB1) playing pink noise. I may want to append or adjust these impressions later since at this point I'll only be going on about two hours of listening on each.

I'll skip over all of the build quality, dimensions, driver configuration, etc. that everyone reading this thread should be aware of. All of this listening has been done using a Fiio X7 Mk. II using the Fiio AM3D THX AAA amp. Also, the filters are purple/purple and the cable is a Plussound X Series pure copper. Tips are MandarinEs Symbio W.

Bass: More midbass for the Halcyon. The PB1 is more balanced. I won't say that the Halcyon is "bloated," but I will say that I prefer the better relative extension and balance of the PB1. The Halcyon has more "thump" in a mainstream way, but I don't like it as much as the PB1's balance. Granted, I'm sure the Halcyon has every bit as much extension as the PB1, but I think it has a midbass bump that masks that.

Midrange: PB1 has a planar driver and the Halcyon doesn't. The PB1's midrange is more forward and has abilities that the Halcyon doesn't possess. This will probably make most people prefer male vocals on the PB1.

Halcyon: First off, I tried purple/blue, which was my preferred combination with the Rah. But, wow, that was a lot of treble. Not harsh, just too much. I backed down to the green top filter since I knew gold would be too dark, but it was also a bit too shy on bite. I switched to purple, and that was sweet spot of amplitude and dynamics (I listened to the Halcyon first, which is why I also used the purple/purple combo on the PB1 as well, to make an apples-to-apples comparison).

The treble on the Halcyon with its "electrostatics" (maybe they're the Sonion electrets, who knows but Bob) just annihilates the PB1. In passages with complex material, the PB1 just sounds like "shhhhhhhhhhhh," while with the Halycon you can actually hear the individual instruments.

I don't think I can put a finer point on it than that. While the PB1 has better bass, and better midrange, the treble articulation that the Halcyon can produce makes it the better choice for most people, if you listen to music as loudly as I do. If you listen to music relatively quietly, the PB1 might be the better choice. At moderate to high volume, or with complex passages, the PB1's ceramic piezo gets saturated and things can sound blurry. The PB1 can have improved treble articulation at lower volumes, but it still won't match the Halcyon. I don't know what the ceramic piezo's role is with the Halcyon, but it's quite diminished.

Yes, I listen to things loud. Not hearing loss in five minutes loud, but pretty damn loud. IMR products need medium to high levels to sound their best, and some reviewers out there should understand that. Wink, wink, ahem. Throwing your "four watts" of micro iDSD Black Label at a set of IEMs if you don't turn the volume knob past "Is this loud? I can still hear my heartbeat, so maybe not? I'm not sure."

Anyhow, I look forward to feedback, criticism, and people telling me I'm deaf or I don't know what I'm talking about.
I agree with your comparison, however, I don't own the PB1. And I much prefer the signature of the Rah!! It sounds more complete to me...

Aug 9, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #3,165 of 3,340

If your are deaf, I will be next. I listen loud as well. Loud is where the sweet spot always is.
If Low, channel imbalance likely and based on our gear it make no sense and might as well just get a earbud....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back