IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #736 of 948
Mmmm.... I personally doubt it based on how things have gone so far, but we'll see...

Hope he focus now on the production of the already paid units(Semper) and not another special build and then a special-special build.........
Would be nice to get the Semper earlier, but...??

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #737 of 948
Can anyone enlighten me what are the strengths of each pokemon :p. Already have the RAH and ordered the Semper, what Genre music will benefit from bass light PB Two?
The finger is itchy, but the brain requires a nudge
I guess the best thing you can do is to read through the EDP thread. Should give you an impression of how the titanium driver will sound compared the the beryllium one.
Personally I would guess, that the PB2 will be better for anything that relies more on fast paced instead of heavy hitting bass.
I mostly prefer the EDP with most kinds of rock and metal and sometimes fast paced electronic music.

Mmmm.... I personally doubt it based on how things have gone so far, but we'll see...
He announced this a while ago, so I think he will focus on full size headphones for sure. Also I believe he has kinda reached the limit of what he can do with that driver tech.
So yea, in 2 years or something I am sure there will be a new IEM, but for now he will do a break. That's why there are 3 new models at once.

Hope he focus now on the production of the already paid units(Semper) and not another special build and then a special-special build.........
Would be nice to get the Semper earlier, but...??
I am sure that IMR has seperare rnd and manufacturing processes. So i doubt a break in research would speed up the waiting time at all.

Also I don't understand why people complain about the amount of special builds that we see. Just buy what you like, when you want it. If you think it's too much, just ignore it...
So far all models have been delivered, a bit of waiting time is completely normal with any pre-order.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #738 of 948
Been away for a couple of weeks come back and find out Bob has a new model.

Does sound interesting as the first time we have the planar & electros together. At first I was thinking I didn't need this and to wait for the Semper but have been thinking today to maybe sell Halcyon for this as will compliment the Semper better. Hmmm.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #739 of 948
Also I don't understand why people complain about the amount of special builds that we see. Just buy what you like, when you want it. If you think it's too much, just ignore it...
So far all models have been delivered, a bit of waiting time is completely normal with any pre-order.

Because people pre-pay for an exclusive model, but oh surprise!, right after you receive your exclusive IEM it turns out that another spin-off was in the works and launches, this understandably can make people doubt about their purchase decision. It's great to have multiple options but IMR's marketing model also has a clear downside.

Also, I still believe we'll see a rehash sooner rather than later...

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #740 of 948
I guess the best thing you can do is to read through the EDP thread. Should give you an impression of how the titanium driver will sound compared the the beryllium one.
Personally I would guess, that the PB2 will be better for anything that relies more on fast paced instead of heavy hitting bass.
I mostly prefer the EDP with most kinds of rock and metal and sometimes fast paced electronic music.

I myself am on the fence of cancelling my Semper order and get the PB2 instead, as I mostly listen to prog rock and metal music, and I'm wondering if that titanium driver would be better suited for the task. :thinking:
Also, being "cheaper" makes them more appealing to me!

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #742 of 948
We should be buying a model because we like that model, and not because it is exclusive, it is still exclusive regardless of a new spin off. All i can think when i hear regret of a purchase based on a new model coming out is you really like the new model and if liking a new model is a bad thing then that's basically anti choice and improvements in evolution.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #744 of 948
Because people pre-pay for an exclusive model, but oh surprise!, right after you receive your exclusive IEM it turns out that another spin-off was in the works and launches, this understandably can make people doubt about their purchase decision. It's great to have multiple options but IMR's marketing model also has a clear downside.

Also, I still believe we'll see a rehash sooner rather than later...
Months ago Bob pointed out that he would be doing a couple of special builds. Not a surprise,

Also, the introduction of something new does not detract from how good your current IEM is. Enjoy what you have :)

My wife’s advice to me rings true... buy it if you want it (and can afford it). Don’t think about if something new and better will be coming along, because the answer to that is always yes!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #746 of 948
I can kind of see both sides. I'm very happy with the Halcyon but my friend who got them too was annoyed the Opus came out straight after as he would have waited for that had he known. It has kind of devalued them in his head. He still ordered the Semper.

For me I got a great pair for a great price and that is what I ordered but I would rather have the Opus if they fit better.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #747 of 948
I saw that many people are listing their RAH and I think it is a mistake. For those people that do not have EDP and sometimes drive their IEM from their mobile phone, RAH is the perfect compliment.
The electrostats treble has been inferred from previous post to require more power to sound good. For me, I will keep RAH for using with mobile phone and Semper for DAP.
Will only sell the RAH if there is RAH driver configuration in the new shell with the original sensitivity.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #748 of 948
I saw that many people are listing their RAH and I think it is a mistake. For those people that do not have EDP and sometimes drive their IEM from their mobile phone, RAH is the perfect compliment.
The electrostats treble has been inferred from previous post to require more power to sound good. For me, I will keep RAH for using with mobile phone and Semper for DAP.
Will only sell the RAH if there is RAH driver configuration in the new shell with the original sensitivity.
Can confirm the estats require more power to sound good.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #749 of 948

It’s a mistake selling any model. They all have a use.

Now you have requested the Rah/PB1 in the new shell it shall come to fruition. I’m ok with this, the more there are the less I need to buy them all and can pick and choose the ones which really peak my interests.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #750 of 948
I think as a power user I disagree that the estats require more power to sound good. I find myself listening to the Opus Mia at lower levels on the volume dial, with a decreased sensitivity in the IEM on paper and yet have more detail and an apparent louder sound than what I usually would have for the same volume dial position. Now, they may sound even better with more power but they already sound good in the first instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back