IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #526 of 948
Now I can say that IMR R3 Halcyon are better than my ex Sony ier-m7, Sony ier-m9 and my current Raphsodio Solar, which are twice as expensive (even three times more expensive if you take into account the discount from Bob)

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #527 of 948
R3 after 50hrs on Grey nozzle and blue filter:
I feel the sound presentation has stabilised. Bass (drum) has tone down to not as thumping as initial. Mids to treble as usual spacious, tuneful, wonderfully delicious and with the special holo effect on certain well recorded tracks especially those with large Soundstage.

On this combo, I feel R3 a musical and dynamic IEM. Transparent as well as its output is per recording. Some may feel it to be flat, lack of energy or bass respond. But don’t let it disorientate you. It actually distributes more bandwidth to the upper frequencies to shine, and trade off a little of the usual IMR bass thump and impact we so use to with mellowness.

My day was dedicated to my Pink Floyd collections as I feel this combo is made for this Super group. Eric Clapton Unplugged and Me & Mr Johnson, Allan Taylor Colour to the Moon, etc sounds great as well.

Pink Floyd Echoes ( need patience for this track as it is a 23.31 mins Track) and several tracks in The Wall album disc 2 from Comfortably Numb onwards whenever I use it as test track in the past, most of the IEM I heard don’t do justice to it. Rah was neither here or there but still a cut better than what I heard including my existing BA Customs. R3 filled the whole glass for me.

Try out these tracks if you are in these genres and you will know what I mean about transparency and goodness of R3. And the reason why I am using Grey nozzle and blue filter is to complement the raw power of Rah ( Black/ Blue filter) or PB1( still on all black).

PB1 still cooking coz of the pitchy tone of the piano and the strumming part of the Accoustic guitar is yet to refine. Using Eric Clapton Old Love and Running on Faith as test track.

If Semper is tune to accomplish the needed meat to this Grey nozzle blue filter combo of R3, I will be celebrating my end game with this gem.. hehehe..

Btw, due to individual preferences, do take my sharing with a saltiness.
Using MAX as source with my favourite AN/Dueland silver balance cable, playing 16/48 Wav format (am still a caveman ripping CDs).

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #528 of 948
I can give it some time until IMR reaches some serious diminishing returns.
As i am quite happy with what i have and i am not the collector type. I can give it some time until IMR reaches some serious diminishing returns.

I'm not a collector either even if i would like to own all the IMR models. I do however keep what i have purchased and can't say i only need one or two due to multiple reasons i do require quite a few variants. The Semper is probably going to be my last purchase though for a good while and the 5 i will have is enough, and i believe i have reached my limit of diminishing returns and what my budget allows me to spend on luxury items.

So which factors do you require to see diminishing returns or what do you wish to see to click buy on a new variant of Aten driver or model entirely?

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #530 of 948
I'm not a collector either even if i would like to own all the IMR models. I do however keep what i have purchased and can't say i only need one or two due to multiple reasons i do require quite a few variants. The Semper is probably going to be my last purchase though for a good while and the 5 i will have is enough, and i believe i have reached my limit of diminishing returns and what my budget allows me to spend on luxury items.

So which factors do you require to see diminishing returns or what do you wish to see to click buy on a new variant of Aten driver or model entirely?
Well as i am not going to be an owner of Semper. And nobody is so far. So I am in no position to judge latest and greatest of IMR. There is a good chance that Semper is just going to be that one that would tick all boxes for me.

And if Semper does turn out as good as i think it will be. That means that Bob has even bigger plans in further future.

What i am talking about here is iems with Summit-fi level technicalities. Even if price reflects the SQ.

We will see.

Signature wise i like IMR house sound so im good with it.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #531 of 948
Has anyone experimented how the halcyon sounds out of a phone such as a LG or iPhone ?
For the iPhone I don't know, but my V30 drives the Halcyon as well as all other IMR iems, that is superbly. No need for high-power tricks (60 out of 75 is loud no matter the track). I like it better as a source than either the Qudelix-5K balanced, or my $450 tube hybrid desktop DAC/amp. It brings the clarity and vividness that the Halcyon can lack, which may not be the case for the smoother Meridian-tuned V40/50.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #532 of 948
if B-stock counts towards getting you “loyalty” status. It might be worth your time to purchase the Red for kicking around and then get the discount for the new realeases.
Thats a GREAT idea for anyone, lurking, contemplating, pondering an OPUS or Semper....
Yes, buying B stock direct will get you a code.....

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #533 of 948
For the iPhone I don't know, but my V30 drives the Halcyon as well as all other IMR iems, that is superbly. No need for high-power tricks (60 out of 75 is loud no matter the track). I like it better as a source than either the Qudelix-5K balanced, or my $450 tube hybrid desktop DAC/amp. It brings the clarity and vividness that the Halcyon can lack, which may not be the case for the smoother Meridian-tuned V40/50.
I find Sabre sound to work well for me too as it is ussually quite airy and open sounding. This works with my typeof iems as i ussually go for warmer type. I have v30 which as a phone is extremely good. Then dx228 takes it to another level. Specially when amp8 beefs lower end well.
I am definately going with ess9038pro for my desktop dac :ksc75smile:

Btw anyone ordered Thieaudio Monarch or Clairvoyance?
Just curious how they compare to IMR sound. as they seem to be similar tuning.
At least looking at graphs briefly

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #534 of 948
I asked Bob about the difference between Halcyon and Opus Mia, and he said: "The differences are rather small between the two.... There is tiny differences in staging and bass but again small differences". So, since I'm very much enjoying the Halcyon, I'm currently resisting the urge to get the Opus Mia, and trying to restrain myself until my Semper arrives at the end of the year. Since they (Opus Mia) haven't yet sold out, though, I may still weaken....

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #535 of 948
I asked Bob about the difference between Halcyon and Opus Mia, and he said: "The differences are rather small between the two.... There is tiny differences in staging and bass but again small differences". So, since I'm very much enjoying the Halcyon, I'm currently resisting the urge to get the Opus Mia, and trying to restrain myself until my Semper arrives at the end of the year. Since they (Opus Mia) haven't yet sold out, though, I may still weaken....
The only thing that might make a difference would be the new shell.

So at least if you like halcyon but cannot get them to fit. You can try Mia. Option options..

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #536 of 948
Now I can say that IMR R3 Halcyon are better than my ex Sony ier-m7, Sony ier-m9 and my current Raphsodio Solar, which are twice as expensive (even three times more expensive if you take into account the discount from Bob)

Thanks for sharing that, I've always wondered how IMRs sound against top tier IEMs such as the Sony ier-m9, IER-Z1R, 64Audio 12Ut...
I have the Rah and enjoy listening to it a great deal. I am aware however that it probably doesn't come close to TOTL IEMs.
I was thinking of one day getting the Sony IER-Z1R and to be done with this all but if the Semper can be close to or as good as for a fraction of the price, I'd rather do that.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #537 of 948
Holy Smokes, here we go again! Better figure out what I'm selling and better figure out what Im buying! I haven't even received the EDP yet and I'm already giddy with excitement over the next gen from Bob. If I love the RAH as much as I do, (and I do) and Halcyon is that much of a step up from the PB One, which is now confirmed as step up from RAH, will I be happy with the OPUS? I guess the answer is yes BUT with Semper poking it's head out I'm close to pulling the trigger on it but I'm going to have to sell off a few in my collection to finance it.. This Covid thing wiped out my entire year and I haven't had a paycheck since November, so I've been reinventing my biz and everything around it since March...... Oh, decisions, decisions.....

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #538 of 948
I find Sabre sound to work well for me too as it is ussually quite airy and open sounding. This works with my typeof iems as i ussually go for warmer type. I have v30 which as a phone is extremely good. Then dx228 takes it to another level. Specially when amp8 beefs lower end well.
I am definately going with ess9038pro for my desktop dac :ksc75smile:

Have you considered an R2R DAC at all?
I had the Massdrop Airist R2R and the only amps i had at that time were the Fiio A5 and a stereo amp yet it put an ungodly amount of lifelike realism and depth to the music, i cant quite recall what i was using but i may have just bought the Zenith and Aten and i had the 58X headphones. I now use the Grace SDAC balanced version with AKM and also the Fiio BTR5 with ESS, the best way to describe the R2R is it took the best parts of both AKM and ESS. When i can afford a new DAC that is next and probably the Denafrips Ares ii.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #539 of 948

If the differences are small then the choice comes down to do you want Gold or Black (Black as it is super nice on the PB One) or some extra money for something else by buying the cheaper but cooler named Opus Mia. I declare we hereby from this day forth call the semper the Opus Semper Edition and the Opus Mia the Opus Mia edition.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #540 of 948
Has anyone experimented how the halcyon sounds out of a phone such as a LG or iPhone ?

Can't say for iPhone but listening to them on my LG v40 right now and they sound very good. It does the Halcyon justice.

I tried them on my v40 a week or so ago and wasn't impressed but realised today i had it set up for listening to audio books in bed so it was on a custom eq with everything at minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back