IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2019 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 948

bezlimitchyk

New Head-Fier
Here is fresh announcement from IMR for 2020:

... So today I am writing to you to let you know what I have in store for you in 2020.

I am limiting my special builds to a maximum of 200 units and limiting it to just 3 models due to the complexity and significant costs.

All 2020 models will have a new design architecture for better fit, comfort and isolation.

I will also be changing the pre order model to allow you keep your initial outlay lower.

Below is the details, specification and launch timing and costs excluding any loyalty bonus.

R3 Halcyon

Triple hybrid electrostatic
The hybrid array consists of a 15mm Aten hybrid ceramic driver + a dual electrostatic driver
Frequency response: 7- 70000Hz
Ship date March 2020
Pre order launch December 2020
Price £600.00 + Shipping
Pre order deposit £100.00 with balance payable in Feb 2020
Limited to 200 units and won’t be made again.

R3 Phase

Quad ceramic hybrid Aten array
Apposing chassis mounted driver configuration for ultra smooth presentation and removal of distortion artefacts.
Frequency response: 10 - 50000Hz
Ship date July/August 2020
Pre order launch May/June 2020
Price £450.00 + Shipping
Pre order deposit £100.00 with balance payable month prior to shipping
Limited to 200 units for 2020

R3 Semper

Quad hybrid array
The hybrid array consists of 15mm Aten hybrid ceramic driver + dual electrostatic driver + Planar magnetic
Frequency response: 7- 70000Hz
Ship date November 2020
Pre order launch September 2020
Price £1100.00 + Shipping
Pre order deposit £300.00 with the balance payable month prior to shipping
Limited to 150 units and won’t be made again.

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 948
Just pre-ordered the R3 Halcyon. Love my Zenith's, and I'm hoping these will provide a little bit more of everything.

R3-HALCYON-BLACK-1200x1028.jpg

LIMITED TO 100 EXCLUSIVE PIECES!

The 2020 R3 range marks the beginning of a new way to further customise your sound.

The R3 Halcyon not only allows you to tune your preferred sound signature via the twin part filters but will also allow you to adjust the rear porting from fully isolated to fully open and damped response. This will allow you to alter the diaphragm speed which in turn will alter the FR response. For example, you can have a beautiful natural decay or change the port and keep the same sound but change the speed and decay.

Combining the high performance Aten 15mm driver with a electrostatic driver with its own internal transformer (no additional special power supply required), the R3 Halcyon is for those who want the best bass response in the business combined with detail and placement levels usually the preserve of 8+ driver iems.

The tuning offers ultra detail retrieval and placement while retaining the wonderful organics you are used to with an IMR in-ear monitor. Mids and treble will satisfy the most hardened audiophile while providing an exciting listening experience full of body and soul.

The R3 Halcyon is part of the IMR special build series and is strictly limited to just 100 units and won't be made again to offer a truly exclusive in ear monitor.

They will ship at the end of March 2020.

https://imracoustics.com/products/r3-halcyon-quad-hybrid-electrostatic

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 948
I didn't hear the Zeniths but have the R1 and Aten. I feel the Rah was a big upgrade on the Aten despite less bass slam. The Halcyon should be at least as good as the Rah and could be better so imagine it would be a big step up from the Zenith. The R1 to the Rah is a huge jump.

As has been said though they all have their strong points.

Dec 30, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 948
I didn't hear the Zeniths but have the R1 and Aten. I feel the Rah was a big upgrade on the Aten despite less bass slam. The Halcyon should be at least as good as the Rah and could be better so imagine it would be a big step up from the Zenith. The R1 to the Rah is a huge jump.

As has been said though they all have their strong points.

I'm hoping the bass frequency on these delivers, I'm a total sub (like HEAVY SUB) bass-fiend - the Zenith's are great, but I always feel they could go a little bit lower. 7Hz on the Halcyon has me very interested.

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 948
Have you tried the copper filters that came with the R1? I love slam but they were too much bass for me.

The Aten were pretty much perfect for me. More slam than the R1. I think I prefer the more textured bass of the Rah though.

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 948
In terms of how far along Bob is in designing the R3 line-up, the Halcyon seems well-defined, as I quoted in the Rah thread (the signature bass of the Aten and Rah but with greater emphasis on the mids than the Rah, comparable treble although a touch more detailed).

Beyond that, the Phase he describes as “a work in progress”. So the Semper is a ways off... many things could change in the meantime since Bob likes to keep us on our toes :imp:

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 948
I'm hoping the bass frequency on these delivers, I'm a total sub (like HEAVY SUB) bass-fiend - the Zenith's are great, but I always feel they could go a little bit lower. 7Hz on the Halcyon has me very interested.
Hmmmmmm
Looks like there will be same DD as r2 and Rah have responsible for the bass,
It probably will be not smth too different

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 948
Hmmmmmm
Looks like there will be same DD as r2 and Rah have responsible for the bass,
It probably will be not smth too different

The Planars specialize in mids. It will definitely be different.

Also 1 planar driver is nice in that it can do all its stuff without muddying itself.

The electrostatics can handle mids. But electrets? Other companies only seem to buy them for the highs.

So we'll have to wait and see. Or maybe the dynamic driver will be handling the mids?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 948
Ordering is now extended to 31st January. I guess so people can get their paycheck/bonus and get these.

I feel these will be special. 7-70000Hz range with an IMR product? Yes please. I really hope they are good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back