IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #662 of 948
My home place is US. Not sure what anyone else sees. Can only speak definitively to my receipts. No one else’s experience.
The website now does list the Halcyon as sold out, with 600 pounds as price. Possibly the 500 pounds was a pre order price... other discrepancies could be the same thing?

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #663 of 948
IMR website shows only 2 left for Semper :D

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #664 of 948
You just couldn't keep it to yourself, could you? :ksc75smile:
:relieved:
Can somebody provide some analysis of the Halcyon since the Opus Mia is pretty much the same driver setup?
Well friends, I sent mine back.

I didn't respond to @NellieG a few pages back when she wrote my description made them sound epic, because epic was starting to feel like the opposite of how I‘d define them. And as it turns out I do find the Halcyon damn reserved.
Epic they may be on vocals. In songs I know well and where I always struggled to understand every word, it’s like someone suddenly handed me the lyrics sheet! And emotion is conveyed exceptionally on vocal-centric music.

But I find the bass a bit smothering, and I don’t enjoy its quality, it’s much less physical than on the Aten, or the R1. Huge but not as satisfying. An overbearing presence on black filters, and too much down to red; a tad clingy still on purple, although that was my personal sweet spot. Not enough sub response below that.
The Rah turned the bass down a bit in quantity and slam, but gave you incredible tonality in return. They sounded so right I have never really heard anything that competes. I’ve heard 6-figure set-ups with big amps and cans that sounded very good, but not that right. The Rah reveal the timbre of strings, voices, percussion, with a natural delivery like you‘re standing next to the musician. Real fidelity, and heightened involvement thanks to it. I’m really sad I had to send them back but the leakage meant I would have enjoyed all that goodness for about 10 minutes per week...

On the Halcyon the black upper were my favorite, I found the red and purple spiky, even a touch sibilant, the green quite unnatural and the blue almost as good but less even. But all in all these just don’t get my music. Emphases are in the wrong place.
It’s always a build-up but there’s often one song that is the last straw on iems I decide not to keep for audio reasons. For the Zenith it was “Beat and the Pulse” by Austra. There’s a point when the singer pushes her voice to enjoin “feel it break” - it is, as I interpret it, quite harsh on purpose, after all you’re supposed to feel it break! But rare are the iems or hps that manage to present that climax with both the appropriate sharpness, and without full-on bludgeoning your ears.
For the Halcyon it was “Before You Snap“ by Yonderboi. The balance is wrong, there’s a tambourine the beat depends on that’s too far back, bass feels flubby, and the plodding rhythm that should be hypnotic becomes a dragging of feet. Unsalvageable on any filter combination.

The driver shows killer promise with its mids retrieval, I would have kept them if I listened more to classic rock, folk, male and female singers. It is great enough that I believe it will bring something special to the Semper, which I have totally ordered :grinning:

As an aside Bob was as always a total class act throughout. When I told him I felt bad sending the Halcyon back he told me he’d rather I be happy. Later on I asked him to keep the refund money and invoice me for the difference with the Semper, but he forgot and refunded me the full amount instead - I hope anyone still under the delusion IMR is a cash-grab or what have you will take note...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #665 of 948
Below are the receipts, edited only to remove the discount codes...

Order summary
IMR-Semper_1_compact_cropped.jpg
IMR SEMPER × 1

discounttag-d1f7c6d9334582b151797626a5ae244c56af0791fcd7841f21027dd44830bcc6.png
£1,100.00
£550.00​
Subtotal
£550.00
Shipping
£35.00
Taxes
£0.00
Total
£585.00 GBP
You saved £550.00

Order summary
IMR_PB_1_3_compact_cropped.jpg
PB ONE × 1
discounttag-d1f7c6d9334582b151797626a5ae244c56af0791fcd7841f21027dd44830bcc6.png
£550.00
£302.50​
Subtotal
£302.50
Shipping
£10.00
Taxes
£0.00
Total
£312.50 GBP
You saved £247.50​

Order summary
R2_RED_3_compact_cropped.jpg
IMR R2 RED × 1
2.5MM BALANCED
£300.00
£195.00​
Subtotal
£195.00
Shipping
£10.00
Taxes
£0.00
Total
£205.00 GBP
You saved £105.00​

Order summary
R3_HALCYON_BLACK_compact_cropped.jpg
R3 HALCYON Quad hybrid electrostatic × 1
£500.00
£325.00​
Subtotal
£325.00
Shipping
£35.00
Taxes
£0.00
Total
£360.00 GBP
You saved £175.00​

Order summary
rah_6_compact_cropped.jpg
IMR Rah triple hybrid planar magnetic × 1
£400.00​
Discount
-£140.00
Subtotal
£260.00
Shipping
£10.00
Total
£270.00 GBP
You saved £140.00​
I appreciate the info. Helps those of us in the second hand market.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #669 of 948
Bob put out another email to existing customers this morning that he's considering another run of the EDP and he provided a survey link to register expressions of interest. These EDPs (at £160) are a steal. Mine took a solid 150 hours to develop and they are sensational. They don't extend quite as high as, let's say the the RAH, but the balance he's achieved with that Planar and DD is really quite something. Plenty of sparkle, beautiful mids - vocals, strings and pianos are superb, and there's plenty of grunt down low. Because of their form they are far more versatile than any previous or current offering (I can sleep with them and they've got moderate isolation) and I will be travelling with them. If you are not yet an IMR customer, I'd write to Bob and encourage him to do another run and grab yourself a set. And there's no loyalty discount on them so you can join the family at the same price everyone else paid for them and get yourself a code like the rest of us.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #670 of 948
Bob put out another email to existing customers this morning that he's considering another run of the EDP and he provided a survey link to register expressions of interest. These EDPs (at £160) are a steal. Mine took a solid 150 hours to develop and they are sensational. They don't extend quite as high as, let's say the the RAH, but the balance he's achieved with that Planar and DD is really quite something. Plenty of sparkle, beautiful mids - vocals, strings and pianos are superb, and there's plenty of grunt down low. Because of their form they are far more versatile than any previous or current offering (I can sleep with them and they've got moderate isolation) and I will be travelling with them. If you are not yet an IMR customer, I'd write to Bob and encourage him to do another run and grab yourself a set. And there's no loyalty discount on them so you can join the family at the same price everyone else paid for them and get yourself a code like the rest of us.

This. The EDP is a amazing value. The sound is superb and the comfort and fit is the best in any IMR IEM. I answered the survey link and hopefully Bob can build another run for those who missed it.

Also he suggested a new model between Opus Mia and Semper. Unfortunately I had to miss the Semper, not the best time to invest in new gear, I would need the approval of my wife.😅

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #671 of 948
This. The EDP is a amazing value. The sound is superb and the comfort and fit is the best in any IMR IEM. I answered the survey link and hopefully Bob can build another run for those who missed it.

Also he suggested a new model between Opus Mia and Semper. Unfortunately I had to miss the Semper, not the best time to invest in new gear, I would need the approval of my wife.😅
I also missed Semper. This C19 garbage destroyed my business and the cashflow that goes with it. A whole year of contracts wiped out. I've started pivoting in new directions and there's light shining into this tunnel but we're not there yet. I've got an expression: If you think you're going through hell, just keep going.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #672 of 948
I also missed Semper. This C19 garbage destroyed my business and the cashflow that goes with it. A whole year of contracts wiped out. I've started pivoting in new directions and there's light shining into this tunnel but we're not there yet. I've got an expression: If you think you're going through hell, just keep going.

Hopefully all this will be over soon but I still have some concerns with the winter period. We just need to keep going day by day.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #673 of 948
I actually envy people like you who just dont give up even when massive pile of crap hits the turbine.
Got many friends who went down financially by this unexpected madness.
And many need to start from square one from 15 years back.

Its moments like these when you see what people are made of.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #674 of 948
I actually envy people like you who just dont give up even when massive pile of crap hits the turbine.

There needs to be a +1000 button.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #675 of 948

Thanks for that .... Just keep on keepin' on or as Churchill said, Never Give Up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back