IMR R2 Aten Thread
Aug 4, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #226 of 1,305

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #227 of 1,305
Hello,
Received mine yesterday and so far very impressed by the bass out of the box. However, I still don't understand how the filters ad nozzles work. Do nozzles have impact on sound? if the answer is yes, which frequencies are impacted by the filters and which ones by the nozzles?

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #228 of 1,305
Hello,
Received mine yesterday and so far very impressed by the bass out of the box. However, I still don't understand how the filters ad nozzles work. Do nozzles have impact on sound? if the answer is yes, which frequencies are impacted by the filters and which ones by the nozzles?

The main filter seems to affect the lower frequencies mostly.
IEM-Graphic_43f975fe-428d-4ab5-a91d-5e08c850404e_large.png

The nozzles are affecting the higher frequencies mostly. Here is a graph from the IMR website. Sadly there is no higher quality available for now.
UPPER_STAGE_FILTER_388cef0f-2649-499a-ae7e-73614bd47324.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #229 of 1,305
The nozzles are affecting the higher frequencies mostly. Here is a graph from the IMR website. Sadly there is no higher quality available for now.
UPPER_STAGE_FILTER_284775b0-835d-48a4-81a9-226759708dfc_grande.jpg
Is this the graph for the nozzles or the filters? I only have 5 nozzles but I have 6 filters like in the graph. This is confusing for me, I had a RHA in the past that only had filters, no nozzles

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #230 of 1,305
Is this the graph for the nozzles or the filters? I only have 5 nozzles but I have 6 filters like in the graph. This is confusing for me, I had a RHA in the past that only had filters, no nozzles
I added the rest. Refresh the page and you can see ^^
There are actually 6 nozzles included. The blue one is the 6th, which has no 'partner' from the filters.

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #231 of 1,305
Hello,

The way I approached it was that the lower section controls bass/mids, and the upper fine tunes the higher frequencies. Whilst this may not be precisely correct, this "seems" to be the case.

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #232 of 1,305
The way I approached it was that the lower section controls bass/mids, and the upper fine tunes the higher frequencies. Whilst this may not be precisely correct, this "seems" to be the case.
Ideally all of this should have been sorted out, articulated and documented BEFORE the product shipped, surely?

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #234 of 1,305
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the presentation of classical music through the R2, certainly with low hours on them, is sometimes sub-par. For example, violins, playing in the higher octaves and as supporting instruments sound distinctly "plastic". This occurs through my CDM DAC/Amp and my Sony DAP. There would have to be a pretty dramatic tonal shift to fix this - which I guess may or may not happen over time. For me, the blue and green dampers are too shrill, the red to "low/veiled" - so the pink dampers and pink nozzles have it for now. With the R1Z, I use the blue nozzles, although I did use pinks with these for the first 200 hours or so as I found the blues too shrill to start with.

I am still really hoping that the R2 will settle down over time (like the R1Z did) so they become my one and only iem. I suspect if this is going to happen, it will take in the order of 100-200 hours of use. In the meantime, I'm sticking to using the R2 for non classical where they definitely bring something "big" to the table and are without doubt, a "banging" set of iems that really do convey a sense of space, depth and separation.
I'm curious about your feedback on this track:

Check out this track on TIDAL: "Sonate in B Minor, BWV 1030: I. Andante" by Gerard Bourgogne, Chantal, Stigliani https://tidal.com/track/101481154

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #235 of 1,305
I'm curious about your feedback on this track:

Check out this track on TIDAL: "Sonate in B Minor, BWV 1030: I. Andante" by Gerard Bourgogne, Chantal, Stigliani https://tidal.com/track/101481154

It sounded OK - nothing to write home about, but then again, I'm streaming a limited sample over bluetooth - and there is only a piano and a flute! With pinks, the piano sounds a tiny bit off as the notes come down, but that could be the venue in which the recording was made and I've heard pianos sound far worse!

I'm just lining up a sample to show what I mean about violins. Its a K&K Verlagsanstalt recording, which are normally top draw. Listen to the massed violins from about 25 seconds into the Vivace.....

With the R1Z & blue tips, these violins sound fine......

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #236 of 1,305
It sounded OK - nothing to write home about, but then again, I'm streaming a limited sample over bluetooth - and there is only a piano and a flute! With pinks, the piano sounds a tiny bit off as the notes come down, but that could be the venue in which the recording was made and I've heard pianos sound far worse!

I'm just lining up a sample to show what I mean about violins. Its a K&K Verlagsanstalt recording, which are normally top draw. Listen to the massed violins from about 25 seconds into the Vivace.....

With the R1Z & blue tips, these violins sound fine......
Sorry! Didn't realize that was sample only.

I'm looking for air from the flute (treble extension), and consistency down the keyboard in various registers. There's an extra low mid to midbass push in the piano with the red filters, but the air is there and extended on the flute, if a little truncated with the green nozzles.

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #238 of 1,305
Sorry! Didn't realize that was sample only.

I'm looking for air from the flute (treble extension), and consistency down the keyboard in various registers. There's an extra low mid to midbass push in the piano with the red filters, but the air is there and extended on the flute, if a little truncated with the green nozzles.

If you can find that performance on eclassical, I'd happily tell you what I think. ecalssical lets you stream the whole track (with breaks) and they do put stuff out at a reasonable bitrate. The piano/flute is not a combination I listen to at all, so my comments may not be to the level of detail you're after...

Aug 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #239 of 1,305
Are people using the same colour filters and nozzles or mixing them up?

I started off using all one colour to find the bass that worked for me. I then started mixing and matching the dampers to the selected nozzle - and just ended back with pink/pink!

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #240 of 1,305
I found my preferred setting: bottom red and up green
Overall I would say that the R2 are excellent for the price. I like the fact that it comes with a lot of filters and a balanced cable (not all brands do this). I strongly recommend to use the balanced cable with these. The difference is huge with SE cable.
The focus of the sound has been put on the bass. The R2 are fun to listen to. They reproduce very well macro-details, but don't expect to hear all small details of the music (in particular in the high frequencies). Therefore, they are very good for modern music and jazz, but probably not for classic music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back