IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 16, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2,162 of 3,190
trapped pressure infront of the driver the keeps it from performing propperly

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,163 of 3,190
So is the consensus that the fixed Zenith is better than the R1? Would anyone like to provide comparisons to any other iems in their inventory? More impressions would be great! Thanks!

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #2,164 of 3,190
So is the consensus that the fixed Zenith is better than the R1? Would anyone like to provide comparisons to any other iems in their inventory? More impressions would be great! Thanks!

Second this.
I have the R1 and didnt jump in on Bob's offer as I was waiting to hear other's experiences.
I love the R1, although at times I find it doesn't fit as well in my ear as I'd like.. but is a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make for that sound (which I absolutely love)

That said, if the Zenith offers what is suggested, tighter bass, better mid-range/highs and more soundstage, I may be inclined to grab a pair of B-Stock

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #2,165 of 3,190
Since I bought the R1 B-Stock, they became my favorite iems, I could not believe what they offered for the price. They are very dynamic and detailed, the bass is shocking and the sound scene is insane...

The Zenith improves the R1 in all aspects.

- More detail and clarity.
- Bass is better, tighter and with more control.
- Mid are more present, I would say that right in its place.
- Treble is now softer and more refined without losing resolution.
- Improved scene in all directions.
- Better comfort
- Orientation of the connectors is good now.

Now the R1Z are my favorites, with the pink filters, I feel like I have earphones of 1000 dollars in my ears.
Thanks to Bob for making an excellent product at a price for almost all budgets.

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #2,167 of 3,190
Anyone else finding theirs fatiguing? I feel like my ears really hurt after listening for a little bit.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,168 of 3,190
Impressions after only about 24 hours burn in (they opened up after a day so didn’t see the need to continue). Using regular spinfits as they give a better seal than the stock ones and due to my small ears give them clearance as they’re too big to fit in mine (same with the R1’s). Using the black filters with the port open and stock cables.

Biggest difference is the mids which are more forward giving them a more energetic and engaging sound. Switching between the two, the original R1’s sound a bit boring after spending time with the Z’s.

The bass quantity has been reduced, currently using the black filters which have the same amount as the pinks on the orig R1. Found the black filters too much on the R1 but it’s not so with the Z’s.

Highs seem the least changed a bit more energy higher up but not too much.

Agree with what others have said about the detail retreval, the Z’s are a tad more critical on poor recordings. Detail is a big step up from the R1’s.

It’s easier to determine where sounds are coming from on the Z’s and instrument seperation is also better. Soundstage seems to be bigger not a huge amount though. Prefer them with the port open, gives you a massive wall of sound that wraps around your head. Wasn’t a fan of the original R1’s with the port open felt they lost cohesiveness.

Aesthetically they look great, build feels better too. Haven’t had any paint run off yet which happened with the R1’s time will tell though. My brother compared the porting system to the thing they use in the matrix to plug themselves in. Overall a clear upgrade, think the girlfriend is getting the R1’s

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #2,169 of 3,190
I got called Frankensteins monster by a co-worker when he saw me wearing them :)

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #2,170 of 3,190
Any of you guys that received your replacement Zeniths yesterday located in the US?

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #2,172 of 3,190
Any of you guys that received your replacement Zeniths yesterday located in the US?

nlowran did but that's all I can remember off hand here in the US. I'm still waiting for my mmcx connectors but I imagine that will be a few more weeks since they're shipping from China. I'm not gonna mod mine until I can assess the replacement unit. I'm not sure about the mirror finish either. The anodizing seems alot better on the Zenith and maybe difficult to remove. I may shoot Bob and email and ask him if he's experimented with it yet. I have a bit of driver flex on the left side so I'm hoping the replacements don't have it. They still sound good but I'm worried that eventually the sound will be unbalanced on that side. It's seemed to happen on my R1s on the right side which has driver flex. It's probably due to my triple flange tips or at least it doesn't help. I hear some folks have driver flex on their campfire atlas. It's upsetting enough to happen on 500 dollar iems. I can't imagine how upsetting it would with some that cost 3 times that amount.

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #2,173 of 3,190
A lot of people had noticed problems with strange treble energy, poor sound staging and general out of phase sound with their first units. The replacements fix all that. Try out both and keep the one you like.
Found those issues with my original Zeniths and also the replacements Bob sent. He was excellent about it though and refunded me. My originals had 120 hrs of burn in and didn't sound substantially different to the replacements.
The good news is that I love my R1s so I'm very happy.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #2,174 of 3,190
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #2,175 of 3,190
Patience grasshopper, patience...

I know it, lol. I need to be more patient about many things. It's a work in progress :)

But... I'm about to pick my replacement Zeniths up right now! I'm wondering how much of a difference I might possibly be hear between these and my "fixed" Zeniths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back