IMR - R1 Thread
Apr 6, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #242 of 3,190
I might need to try some comply tips for these. Loving the sound but right ear piece keeps slipping, its a common problem for me with some iems.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #243 of 3,190
I might need to try some comply tips for these. Loving the sound but right ear piece keeps slipping, its a common problem for me with some iems.
What tips are you currently using? I don't know about Comply, I guess depending on the filter you are using but I certainly wouldn't want to impede the treble extension in any way. I am using copper filters and Lg JVC Spiral Dot tips.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #244 of 3,190
Aargh! Comply tips are the last resort. They mess up the lows AND the highs. It took me FOUR weeks of experimentation to get the right setup: A new cable with memory wire and SpinFit CP100 tips. The stock cable is so springy that it kept pulling the R1s out of my shallow ear canals. And, don't assume that your ear canals are the same size. Perfect seal was achieved only after using a large for my left ear and and a medium for my right. The SpinFits actually opened up BOTH the low end and the top end versus the stock silicone tips.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #245 of 3,190
Just have to chime in and say brilliant service and help all-round by Bob.
:ksc75smile:

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #246 of 3,190
What tips are you currently using? I don't know about Comply, I guess depending on the filter you are using but I certainly wouldn't want to impede the treble extension in any way. I am using copper filters and Lg JVC Spiral Dot tips.

Aargh! Comply tips are the last resort. They mess up the lows AND the highs. It took me FOUR weeks of experimentation to get the right setup: A new cable with memory wire and SpinFit CP100 tips. The stock cable is so springy that it kept pulling the R1s out of my shallow ear canals. And, don't assume that your ear canals are the same size. Perfect seal was achieved only after using a large for my left ear and and a medium for my right. The SpinFits actually opened up BOTH the low end and the top end versus the stock silicone tips.

Thanks for the advice folks, did worry about the impact of the comply tips on the outstanding treble.

I’m trying Symbio W tips at the moment and they seem to be doing the trick without losing any detail.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #248 of 3,190
@McCol what would you say about R1 versus Flare Gold?

That’s a tricky one to answer but ultimately I would choose the Flares overall, however at the price of £190 for my B stock against the £650 discounted price of the Golds then it’s trickier to choose.
On those prices the R1 offer more bang for buck, at the normal price of £500 v £1000 then the Flares still sound better but again the R1 offer better value.

I’ve only really tried the blue and copper filters so far but would say that the Flares offer depth and soundstage and a deeper more impactful bass response. Mids and highs are harder to judge though, the mids on the Flares are smooth and lush but I’d say the highs on the R1 are maybe more detailed and upfront than the Flares.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #249 of 3,190
That’s a tricky one to answer but ultimately I would choose the Flares overall, however at the price of £190 for my B stock against the £650 discounted price of the Golds then it’s trickier to choose.
On those prices the R1 offer more bang for buck, at the normal price of £500 v £1000 then the Flares still sound better but again the R1 offer better value.

I’ve only really tried the blue and copper filters so far but would say that the Flares offer depth and soundstage and a deeper more impactful bass response. Mids and highs are harder to judge though, the mids on the Flares are smooth and lush but I’d say the highs on the R1 are maybe more detailed and upfront than the Flares.
Now that you have a good seal with the Symbio tips, I would be interested to hear your comparison using the pink filters. To my ears, the blues don't have enough low-end... pink is perfect:)

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #250 of 3,190
I'm really liking the fit and sound of the Symbio W mediums with these. I tried using spiraldots and CA foams but they just weren't doing it for me both fit and sound. Foams really killed the treble on the blue filter and sounded very dull in comparision.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #251 of 3,190
So bobs cable is circa £150 for the balanced. In similar price range I guess you could get something like the lavricable reference, wa cables gin etc. Hence my original question for anyone who owns or has reviewed the r1 and knowing what It is like, what cables may bring out the best in it.

I guess it is a tricky question because already there is different sound signatures available via filter use. So I guess that is dirt area to tune and the cable to enhance whichever filter is preferred?

I just bought a cable as I bought a b stock R1 without it but want to use it with my EarStudio bluetooth receiver and that offers a balanced connection. As I never used a balanced connection before I am excited how it will alter the sound. I did not pay 150 :wink: Just send Bob a message for a quote and I think you will be surprised how affordable it is for a "custom" cable.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #252 of 3,190
These are three times the ASG 2.5's in my opinion. Add an after market cable (mine is from Norne Audio/Silvergarde S) and it will be times four in a half, plus louder!

Got my B stock delivered today. That’s 7 days from UK to US west coast - much faster than I have expected! The ergonomics of the stock cable is just like everyone said about it. It can be wear cable down though. When you had your Norne cables made, which connectors you asked from Trevor? Mine works on my other two-pin iems like 64audio A8, Aethers and asg2.5 but doesn’t seem to fit the R1.

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #253 of 3,190
About what I received for my B stock order. The box was open (plastic seal stickers were pealed off) but the iems and everything else appears new so this may be a coustomer return. Arrived well packaged.

The sound is big with highs brighter than I expected (blue filter) and some songs sounded somewhat unnatural to me. After some tinkering of the PMEQ on my LPG now it sounds better.

Oh BTW the reflex is no where nearly as bad as my Vega-actually I don’t think I hear any reflexes at all

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #254 of 3,190
Got my B stock delivered today. That’s 7 days from UK to US west coast - much faster than I have expected! The ergonomics of the stock cable is just like everyone said about it. It can be wear cable down though. When you had your Norne cables made, which connectors you asked from Trevor? Mine works on my other two-pin iems like 64audio A8, Aethers and asg2.5 but doesn’t seem to fit the R1.
Mine were terminated two pin/3.5mm trrs and work for both my R1's and ASG 2.5's! They should fit, it takes me a while to line them up, but afterwards, working like a charm!

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #255 of 3,190
Mine were terminated two pin/3.5mm trrs and work for both my R1's and ASG 2.5's! They should fit, it takes me a while to line them up, but afterwards, working like a charm!

Thanks. There seems to be many different versions of the .78 two pin connectors. The ones works perfectly on my A8 will not fit in the R1. The plastic part next to the pins are too thick to go in R1’s socket. Probably i’ll Take a file to file off a bit on the plastic part of my Norne cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back