IMR - R1 Thread
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #811 of 3,190
How is this R1 compared to TOTL iems like, Andromeda, SE846, and PP8? I know it is not a fair comparison because of the price differential. Just need a brief explanation of what R1 is lacking compared to TOTL iems.

I tried Andromeda and SE846 etc before purchasing the R1. I think they are okay, sound a bit dry IMO and bass is mundane compared to the R1. On the other hand, you will need to spend a bit more the cables in order to fully enjoy the R1s.

The 846 and Andromeda have better sealing tho.

Jul 3, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #812 of 3,190
Back on Massdrop $449

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #813 of 3,190
Hello friends

I want to change the serial cable of the R1 for another less rigid model.

Could you give me some direction of some cable model compatible with the R1

I have seen some model in previous pages but I do not know where to buy it.

Thank you

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #814 of 3,190
Well I listened to my R1's for a while and wasn't feeling them. I've never even considered burning in a pair of headphones until now but after looking through the forum and seeing people results after about the 50 hour mark figure I didn't have anything to lose. Found a youtube vid with 8 hours of pink noise and let it loop for two days on 50-75% volume. HOLY crap!!! I am true believer of burn in now! I cannot believe how much fuller the bass sounds and how many more micro details I can pull out of my music, Trebel is so much smoother I can listen to these all day. Only thing I still have issue with is the driver flex and another issue with the left side where I get a slight buzz once in a while. Other than that I have not had so much fun listening to DD iems except for when I was first introduced listening to higher end gear. I love these things now! hoping Bob can take care of the one issue I am still dealing with.

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #815 of 3,190
Before I grab the B- stock through the IMR website at the awesome price of 300, does anyone (preferably in the US) want to let go of there's at that price or better?

Shoot me a PM and I'd love to reserve it when another sale goes through.

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #816 of 3,190
Well I listened to my R1's for a while and wasn't feeling them. I've never even considered burning in a pair of headphones until now but after looking through the forum and seeing people results after about the 50 hour mark figure I didn't have anything to lose. Found a youtube vid with 8 hours of pink noise and let it loop for two days on 50-75% volume. HOLY crap!!! I am true believer of burn in now! I cannot believe how much fuller the bass sounds and how many more micro details I can pull out of my music, Trebel is so much smoother I can listen to these all day. Only thing I still have issue with is the driver flex and another issue with the left side where I get a slight buzz once in a while. Other than that I have not had so much fun listening to DD iems except for when I was first introduced listening to higher end gear. I love these things now! hoping Bob can take care of the one issue I am still dealing with.
Contacted IMR and Bob responded immedietly with help beyond what I would have expected! Will keep updating my progress but I dig how this guy handles his customers!

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #818 of 3,190
I'm still enjoying my R1 so much.

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #819 of 3,190
How is the R1's seal for noisy environments? Anyone use them for commuting?

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #820 of 3,190
How is the R1's seal for noisy environments? Anyone use them for commuting?
I do, they're absolutely fine. Not quite as good as my P-Series tips I used a different pair of IEMs but that's to be expected. I use the foam tips included with the R1s

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #823 of 3,190
I use them for commuting too but have custom sleeves so the isolation is brilliant - I'd highly recommend custom's.

I've tried custom sleeves (Snugs) and didn't really get on with them, I found the opposite, very poor isolation an no Bass which may have been an issue with the impressions or Snugs manufacturing or my ears. After returning my R1 due to faulty filter threads on the LHS I've now decided to try my first and maybe only full custom IEM hopefully it will be a better experience.

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #824 of 3,190
I've tried custom sleeves (Snugs) and didn't really get on with them, I found the opposite, very poor isolation an no Bass which may have been an issue with the impressions or Snugs manufacturing or my ears. After returning my R1 due to faulty filter threads on the LHS I've now decided to try my first and maybe only full custom IEM hopefully it will be a better experience.
Snugs are nothing more than an overpriced middleman and don't actually manufacture the sleeves. There are many a review of similar experiences online.
I have Puretone sleeves from my IE80's and have used Sugru to make them fit the R1's. However on Mon I went to Plugzz (I live close) to have impressions done at their lab for custom plugs for my motorbike and I was very impressed, so much so I'm sending mu R1's to have sleeves done for them.

For a comparison Snugs would charge £200 for custom sleeves, outsourcing to PC Werth. Plugzz make them in the lab I visited in Redcar and charge £70 and keep your impression which usually attracts a fee.

Out of curiosity what CIEM's did you go for?

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #825 of 3,190
Snugs are nothing more than an overpriced middleman and don't actually manufacture the sleeves. There are many a review of similar experiences online.
I have Puretone sleeves from my IE80's and have used Sugru to make them fit the R1's. However on Mon I went to Plugzz (I live close) to have impressions done at their lab for custom plugs for my motorbike and I was very impressed, so much so I'm sending mu R1's to have sleeves done for them.

For a comparison Snugs would charge £200 for custom sleeves, outsourcing to PC Werth. Plugzz make them in the lab I visited in Redcar and charge £70 and keep your impression which usually attracts a fee.

Out of curiosity what CIEM's did you go for?

You are lucky living close to Pluggz JohnRS, very convenient. I wish I wasn't over 4 hours away. Although I could send impressions to them I suppose like I did with Snugs.

I don't actually have a CIEM yet, I'm booked in for impressions and a demo session. 64 Audio N8 is near the top of the list though, the place I'm going to get their universal demo N8 this week so I'm looking forward to trying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back