IMR - R1 Thread
Mar 16, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,432 of 3,190
Well I have copper on and it’s still as harsh as black. Something must be wrong. And I like bright iems

Presently listening with the Orange filters and have way to much distortion, just like the Black filters.

UPDATE: I must have gotten the R1 Zenith that was supposed to be delivered to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I changed the direction of the mirrors in all the bathrooms in the house to face inwards and now my Zenith sounds just as great as when first receiving it.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #2,433 of 3,190
Well, I'm a metalhead and I absolutely love the Zenith, so it's rather preference. I dig the additional smoothness in the highs, as I had a bit trouble with that in the original R1 (can't stand any spikes).

That's something :)

I tend to prefer sparkly treble for metal, and well, R1 Zenith is super smooth :)

I guess I can't accept metal in a smooth state because I used to be in a band, and well, I had the drummer playing the drums 1-3 meters from me, and well, at that distance a cymbal crash can be even nauseating the first time, so I simply am not used to smooth cymbals in metal, and cymbal energy is essential for most metal listeners.

Any Zenith owners tried them with a chord mojo? Using mine straight from an iPhone 8 dongle wondering if it’s worth looking into.

Yes. and Yes. I'd also put xDSD and FiiO Q5 on that list.

R1 Zenith is already very smooth, Mojo is also smooth, not sure if you want to pair smooth with smooth, this is why I'd suggest Q5 or xDSD, both of which are more natural and more neutral :)

Mar 16, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,434 of 3,190
Thanks for your information. Previously to receiving my R1 Zenith, I had been solely listening to music with my iBasso IT04 for the past 8 months, and really enjoying it in balanced mode with my Pono Player. Should have the Fearless Audio 8S Freedom delivered within the next month for something different.
Veriy interested in your impressions of the Fearless Audio 8s Freedom IEM! Hawaiibadboy posted that it was the best of the Fearless lineup he had heard....and he had
been waxing poetic about the S6....

Mar 16, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #2,435 of 3,190
Veriy interested in your impressions of the Fearless Audio 8s Freedom IEM! Hawaiibadboy posted that it was the best of the Fearless lineup he had heard....and he had
been waxing poetic about the S6....

As it took about a month to receive my BGVP DM6 through Amazon from Linsoul. I figure to have the S8 sometime next month. Did not purchase from Amazon as they increased the price by $60 from what Linsoul is charging. Also price of all Fearless Audio IEM’s have increased in price on Amazon. Was considering the S6 until I watched BGGA YouTubes of the S8.

Still experimenting with my R1 Zenith to get the sound I prefer for Rock and Metal. Does not sound too good through my iPhone XR, but for the most part does through my Pono Player.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #2,436 of 3,190
Presently listening with the Orange filters and have way to much distortion, just like the Black filters.

I had some strange distortion with my V1 - especially in the bass region and some kind out of phase. Something's definitely wrong with your unit.

I tend to prefer sparkly treble for metal, and well, R1 Zenith is super smooth :)

I guess I can't accept metal in a smooth state because I used to be in a band, and well, I had the drummer playing the drums 1-3 meters from me, and well, at that distance a cymbal crash can be even nauseating the first time, so I simply am not used to smooth cymbals in metal, and cymbal energy is essential for most metal listeners.

Haha, yeah, we're coming from two different metal worlds :wink: I'm using earplugs on concerts, cause I can't stand that high pitched live guitars and cymbal crashes.

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #2,437 of 3,190
P
As it took about a month to receive my BGVP DM6 through Amazon from Linsoul. I figure to have the 8S sometime next month. Did not purchase from Amazon as they increased the price by $60 from what Linsoul is charging. Also price of all Fearless Audio IEM’s have increased in price on Amazon. Was considering the 6S until I watched BGGA YouTubes of the 8S.

Still experimenting with my R1 Zenith to get the sound I prefer for Rock and Metal. Does not sound too good through my iPhone XR, but for the most part does through my Pono a Player.
Penon Audio sells them also and they are superb to deal with. Have to try my Pono with Z!

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #2,438 of 3,190
I had some strange distortion with my V1 - especially in the bass region and some kind out of phase. Something's definitely wrong with your unit.

Yeah, some encounters with products I have are reversed from most people. When I first got my R1 Zenith, they sounded great with Black and Pink filters. Only have about 100hrs burn-in, so think might be part of my problem.

Haha, yeah, we're coming from two different metal worlds :wink: I'm using earplugs on concerts, cause I can't stand that high pitched live guitars and cymbal crashes.

Mar 17, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #2,440 of 3,190
I’m finding that I get loads more driver flex using my R1 Zeniths with the Black filter and final E tips than any other filter! My preference is for the Pink filter, which thankfully give less flex with the final E’s.????
Edit - this is my right ear only !!!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #2,442 of 3,190
One more question before I place my order for an upgrade cable: everybody here raves about the Effect Audio Ares II. Anybody tried the Ares II+? If so, is it worth the 70 $ difference in price tag, or is the Ares II better for the Zenith?
Thanks
It might offer tiny improvements but I didn't want the extra weight. I personally can't see it making that much difference. More wires just mean less resistance and its not like it needs a lot of current to drive an iem anyway.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #2,443 of 3,190
It might offer tiny improvements but I didn't want the extra weight. I personally can't see it making that much difference. More wires just mean less resistance and its not like it needs a lot of current to drive an iem anyway.
Thank you for the input, I'll likely go the Ares II route then.
Speaking of current, though, I find the Zenith (after burn-in) sounds immensely better SE with an amp (FiiO X7mkII -> FiiO A5) than balanced (FiiO X7mkII with AM3A amp module); I think they hugely benefit extra current.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #2,444 of 3,190
Speaking of current, though, I find the Zenith (after burn-in) sounds immensely better SE with an amp (FiiO X7mkII -> FiiO A5) than balanced (FiiO X7mkII with AM3A amp module); I think they hugely benefit extra current.
Yeah but not to the point where a few extra wires will impact it is what I meant. It will get plenty of juice with a normal cable.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #2,445 of 3,190

The quality of the amp design makes much more of a difference than whether it is balanced or unbalanced, I'm my limited experience.

Regarding the Ares II+, that is a different sounding cable to the Ares II (if you believe in such things), not just an 8wire version of the II. So, while it is the more expensive, it may not give the same tonality as the II, which is what people on the thread here are praising. I had the II+ on my Zeus for a while, but preferred the II when I compared them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back