IMR - R1 Thread
Mar 13, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #2,386 of 3,190
It's always good to see an announcement of new model from Bob. However, in my opinion Bob is committing the same mistake what he did earlier with Trinity by quickly announcing new models.
Zenith is still not stable; there are quality issues even with the replacement units as reported by some members here.

I agree, this has a similar MO to the Trinity path - in that it appeared that they were overtrading which subsequently ended them, although they're still active and the only active business at the address used by IMR on Companies House. It certainly plausible this is going down a similar route though which is a shame if it happens.

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #2,387 of 3,190
I believe IMR have moved now, if I remember the return address on the last thing Bob sent me. Not far, but think they may be at a different unit?

Compared to the Trinity releases, I'd say this is definitely a lot more slow and steady. Remember talking to Bob about 12 months ago, and he was already working on the planar prototype, and he'd already got plans in motion to tinker with the R1 (which became the Zenith). Sounds like the Rah is a fusion of the planar and the Zenith from the description, so it makes sense that both models could be developed in tandem.

As you say, hope nothing end up repeating like with the other firm, bit I think this is a much more thought out strategy. Bob wanted to refine the R1 and keep it as the mainstay of a small line of products, which providing the manufacturing issues don't reappear, he seems to be on course for. Adding a lower price and a higher price model to the lineup allows IMR to compete in different price segments - just having one model in a niche market like the audiophile marketplace wouldn't keep the lights on for more than year or two unless you were going after the mass consumer (<£100) crowd at the same time. I think if this is managed right, it could set IMR up for the long haul. Given how much I'm enjoying the Zenith, I really hope it pans out that way for all concerned.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #2,389 of 3,190
I need to check mine. As much as I like them (my replacement), there is still something a tiny bit odd about them. I get driver flex on the right driver and it has a different sound / dynamic to the left that I noticed at first but didn't give much thought to. Music sounds good but there is something I can't put my finger on.

Did you get a replacement set? Maybe switch the right side original with the replacement? After checking the wires. You could write Bob if all fails.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #2,390 of 3,190
Listening to a FLAC rip of "The Essential Aerosmith" via the balanced out of my Cayin N5IIs at the moment. Black filter, stock 2.5mm cable, Flare Audio audiophile foam tips.

Superb.

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #2,391 of 3,190
Did you get a replacement set? Maybe switch the right side original with the replacement? After checking the wires. You could write Bob if all fails.

Yeah I might do that. Sadly I sent my first pair back, I should have kept them a bit longer.

One thing I'm curious about is the driver flex. I can hear it on the right ear when inserting it, but what does it indicate? I.e. does it imply a fault or does it affect the sound in any way?

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,393 of 3,190
He put it on Instagram yesterday and suggested some sort of competition. The bit I took note of was the cable, it has the IMR connector but certainly isn't the rubbery tat the R1 comes with.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,396 of 3,190
D835196F-E875-496B-908A-9B35C960D2C5.jpeg

He put it on Instagram yesterday and suggested some sort of competition.

Did I ever show you guys the phones I got from his first IG contest? He pulled my name out of a hat, btw. Here is a Zenith prototype. Bob said the sound isn't as good as the R1 and he was right. They still sound pretty darn good though. The venting system does nothing on these.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,400 of 3,190

Did I ever show you guys the phones I got from his first IG contest? He pulled my name out of a hat, btw. Here is a Zenith prototype. Bob said the sound isn't as good as the R1 and he was right. They still sound pretty darn good though. The venting system does nothing on these.

That's pretty cool! I remember the artwork for those prototypes. The venting system is still primitive compared the Zenith. I even went as far as to drill out the vents on the R1 to twice the size of the original. Helped with the driver flex but the sound change was barely distinguishable if at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back