IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 8, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #2,057 of 3,190
I sold my R1 once I received the tracking number (I should have kept it); having said that, the unit I got, even after flipping the right connector (it was definitely out of phase) idoes not sound as good as my R1 did, imo. Psychoacoustics? Maybe. I'll just wait for the replacement to compare the two, and then I'll send the first one back to Bob.
I did something similar (selling R1 prior to getting Zenith). My Zenith is in phase and can sound good with good recordings. However, I feel like I'm missing something compared to the R1. If the replacement unit is exactly the same as the one I have now, I may send them both back for a refund and try to snag a B stock R1 again. BTW, I have some driver flex with the Zenith but not as bad as my old R1.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2,058 of 3,190
I can for sure say the bass lacks fullness, everything sounds like an upper-mid soup with no presence.
Sorry for the self-quote, but that sure sounded like the textbook definition of the downgrade you suffer with a faulty seal - oh wait, that's because it was :expressionless:

I couldn't find the right screwdriver to open the earpiece, so pissed and impatient I thought I'd give the Zenith one last spin before setting them to rest until the replacement unit arrived. In my haste to audition my new toy I had put on the large foam tips that come in the box - I had noticed the fit wasn't perfect but thought what the heck, I'm at home not moving around, it'll be alright. Yesterday I replaced them with the wide large Symbio I have on the R1, more out of annoyance at the fiddly fit than in the hope it would improve things. But improve things it did, quite immensely!

Like most who received a good unit or flipped the connector themselves, I find the bass slightly less present with the black filter compared to the R1. I can definitely see myself gravitating towards the bassiest filters this time around, which I haven't even tried yet on the R1 (I know, I know :frowning: it's just so good out of the box). And the upper-mids are indeed more forward, electric guitars can even grate a bit depending on mastering. That combination can easily evoke out-of-phase sound from what I read, but in my case I believe it's just the proper tuning that's more "audiophile", with crazy detail retrieval capability, instead of the R1 sig that I'd describe as "mainstream with a plus". Imaging is wonderful; on Tigran Hamasyan's "Lilac" you can really tell the mic was quite directional and placed in front of the piano, not above or behind it. I also pick up on lots of subtle new cues in songs I routinely use to evaluate gear, well-produced or otherwise. Lastly I find the open port brings excellent extension to the stage, the difference is more noticeable than on the R1 where I tended to keep the ports closed to extract all the slam of that physical bass. This and the pinpoint imaging has more than once created a remarkable illusion of space, with sounds from the Zenith making me check that my puppies hadn't gotten up behind me :wolf::wolf:

Fits perfectly with my plan to use the R1 outside or at the gym and keep the Zenith for the desktop.
So that's it, if my unit does turn out to be out of phase, there goes my audiophile street cred, you'll all know I have two left ears :laughing: But to those underwhelmed, maybe check your tips? I know you are all aware of the power of tip rolling, but so am I and I still assumed the unit was faulty instead of making that simple fix.

If the replacement unit sounds about the same I'll return the first, as it seems the replacement batch will be scrutinized by Bob personally and it's possible the polarity is fine but there's a slight flaw with the filters or ports or what-have-you like he wrote to us after his initial round of inspection.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,061 of 3,190
Got my replacement pair today and done a quick test - WOW! These are incredible! No doubt there was something wrong with the first pair he sent, but I'm still not sure what it was. Either way...

The sound stage is big now like the R1, and deep sub bass is generous and WIIIIIIIIIIIIDE like the R1. Fantastic.

There is a more clinical sound in the mids and upper, I'm not experiencing the same harshness.

Pretty sure these are something a step up from the R1 but going to burn these bad boys in hard for the weekend, then test again.

Thanks Bob!

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #2,063 of 3,190
Got my replacement pair today and done a quick test - WOW! These are incredible! No doubt there was something wrong with the first pair he sent, but I'm still not sure what it was. Either way...

The sound stage is big now like the R1, and deep sub bass is generous and WIIIIIIIIIIIIDE like the R1. Fantastic.

There is a more clinical sound in the mids and upper, I'm not experiencing the same harshness.

Pretty sure these are something a step up from the R1 but going to burn these bad boys in hard for the weekend, then test again.

Thanks Bob!
Sounds good I'm listening to the original Zenith's on my DX200 and vocals are sounding rough. Hope the new ones sort it out

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,064 of 3,190
My replacement Zenith was waiting when I got home from work. Just amazing customer service!

Quick question the new silver cable isn’t keyed it just has tiny coloured dots. Do you know which way round should they should be inserted so they are in phase?

Thanks

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #2,065 of 3,190
My replacement Zenith was waiting when I got home from work. Just amazing customer service!

Quick question the new silver cable isn’t keyed it just has tiny coloured dots. Do you know which way round should they should be inserted so they are in phase?

Thanks
If you have a multimeter you can test both cables to find out which pin is which. Other than that you'll have to wait until someone on here owns it and can comment. Or contact Bob via email and he usually gets right back to you.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #2,066 of 3,190

Thanks
You usually put the coloured dot facing in towards the driver. Either way you won't damage anything.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #2,070 of 3,190
Does the replacement unit come with silver cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back