Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 14, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #5,431 of 17,892
I finally get my Avalon. However my S/N is 095 although I think I ordered within first 50 batch. I disappointed again in IMR.

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #5,432 of 17,892
I finally get my Avalon. However my S/N is 095 although I think I ordered within first 50 batch. I disappointed again in IMR.
But Avalon’s sound is great.

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #5,433 of 17,892
Mar 15, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #5,434 of 17,892
I ordered them like 2 weeks ago and got I guess 120 on that card. I guess Bob is just too busy with all the delays to just deliver the the units in order and look who's first. But most probably you guys who ordered the first batch will get this promised new tuning system not me.
And yes they sound just great, I hope they don't disappoint me after the full burn in is over.

Mar 15, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #5,435 of 17,892
My guess is that the first 50 numbers were for Dark Matters since they were shipped first.
If somebody with a Dark Matter could say what serial number they got on the card, that would clear things up.

Mar 15, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #5,436 of 17,892
Avalon and DM are suposed to be IMRs stock units, no ltd runs.
Just the new tuning system was limited to the first 50 pre orders.
So s/n can be higher 50.
Am i wrong?

Mar 15, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #5,437 of 17,892
My guess is that the first 50 numbers were for Dark Matters since they were shipped first.
If somebody with a Dark Matter could say what serial number they got on the card, that would clear things up.
DM here - number 011

Mar 15, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #5,438 of 17,892
Anyone outside of UK received the free IEM as a gift for the delay to ship Avalon?

Mar 15, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #5,440 of 17,892
20220309_132850.jpg
It feels like the Avalon has settled now as I haven't heard any major changes to the sound signature of late.

While using the black/black filter arrangement, the main changes I observed was the steady increase in the depth and strength of the bass. It got to the point of overflowing into the mid frequency and as a result the vocals and instruments started to lose some sharpness and clarity.

I thought it was time to start playing around with the filters then. I used bass filters ranging from red to black and upper filters from purple to black.
I'm now finally settled with blue/blue. Blue bass filter tames down the bass, but doesn't take away the nice sub bass and detail. The high frequency blue filter gives me nice clarity and reduces the brightness somewhat. Mids sound clear and concise while still retains nice sparkle at the upper regions.

My favourite tips are still currently the Final E-Type (purple) sm . Next favourite is the IMR tip sm. Both tips are comfortable and I can wear them for prolonged periods. IMR bore size is slightly wider in diameter and I will get a little more brightness in the sound with these.

Comparing the Avalons to the Semper, they both produce great detail. Vocals in the Avalon are set much more forward. Semper vocals are set back more and I find that vocals blend in with instruments in the background more. For this reason Avalon has a sound stage with more depth. I feel that there is more distinction and discreteness between instruments and vocals overall with the Avalons. I think sound stage width is similar. If I go for a wider bore in the Avalons the soundstage width increases a little, but it's not "starfield". Perhaps more burn in? Unless starfield is referring to layered depth?

The difference between the Elan to the Avalon and Semper is in the high end detail. The detail in the Elan is there, but I need to keep the volume output relatively higher. For me, at good volume the Elan sounds rich and dynamic. At lower volumes, higher end frequencies start to lose their detail and liveliness.

The low end volume output is where I find the Avalon and Semper work beautifully. In a nice quiet room with little ambient noise interference, I can up the volume on the player by only a wee bit and I still get wonderful detail through the range and still get an adequate warm linger of the lower end bass and sub-bass to accompany.

Avalon is brighter than the Semper. For me, I hear it as an uplifting brightness and it suits me fine. I don't hear sibilance. Elan is perhaps somewhere in between these two.
The soundstage of Semper is more recessed and more like what I'm used to. I think especially nice for instrumentals and electronic.
The forward vocals on the Avalon is growing on me as it does give me a more layered depth to sound stage.
To me, Avalon(~150hrs burn in) is source dependent.

Mar 15, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #5,441 of 17,892
To me, Avalon(~150hrs burn in) is source dependent.
This has been my observation, as well. My Avalon definitely sounds better out of my Gustard stack and Hiby R8 than out of the Shanling M6. The sound is more lively and three-dimensional, but I don't know if it's power- or DAC chip-related.

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #5,442 of 17,892
Bob politely and quickly answers my question. Serial number is shared by Dark matter and Avalon, so the first serial number has been up to 100 total.

Mar 15, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #5,444 of 17,892
Listening with my Dark Matter reminds me of an advert where a guy driving around with a huge stereo has his mate hidden in the back thumping the side panels for added affect :smile:

And this is using the gold lowers. Bass isn't over powering everything else though, but it's there subtly lurking. These have well extended bass, I can hear low notes carry on for a few seconds on some tracks where before I thought they had ended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back