Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 23, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,157 of 17,889
While we're on the subject of the Elysium, I wonder what people's impressions of it have been. I've recently snagged a cheap unit locally and I wonder if others share what I think of them.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #4,158 of 17,889
While we're on the subject of the Elysium, I wonder what people's impressions of it have been. I've recently snagged a cheap unit locally and I wonder if others share what I think of them.

FWIW - I liked the Elysiums so much that after a lot of A/B tests with the Semper, I kept the Elysium and sold the Sempers.

They both have their individual strengths, but on balance I just found the Elysiums to be more fun, more immediate and got the old head bobbing more than the Sempers. I also have a 1-in-1-out policy so couldn't keep both.

What's your take on them?

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #4,159 of 17,889
I'm still making up my mind and actually discovering it.

I was thoroughly dissatisfied when I put it in my ears for the first time. My early impressions were that it's good for female vocals, not so much for male, as it's a toss up whether the vocals will be normal or recessed. At times sibilant while at others fricatives just aren't there at all (e.g. can't hear the /f/ phone in Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" at all). Outstanding, absolutely spectacular for jazz, while pretty bad for busy songs where a lot is going on: it loses coherence and resolution especially in the percussion track. Treble also seems rolled off and songs lack detail even with the blue filter on.

Then I just decided to give it time to burn in, as I had no idea how much the previous owner really used it. Now, after a week and a half of nearly constant playback, I feel it has improved in some areas and I'm liking it better. It's very different to the Semper, more analogue, made for relaxed rather than critical listening. It's still definitely the most troublesome IEM in my collection, but I'm not longer of a mind to get rid of it.

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #4,160 of 17,889
This for sure... "more analogue, made for relaxed rather than critical listening". And the burn-in is definitely real on these iems! I left mine on the burner for almost a week straight and they really improved and became much better balanced. The bone conduction motor really adds a three dimensional element to the sound and provides some impressive low-end grunt. The planar driver makes those mids sound extremely analog and organic sounding. Overall this is am extremely engaging, analog sounding iem with a gentle w-shape that provides fantastic balance and cohesion between the driver types. Vocals on the Elysium are really special to my ears as they seem to do everything so well! This is with the purple-purple filters, which I think provides the best balance between low end and treble detail for my preferences.

The only real negative for me with IMR iems is the fit. I just can't seem to get a consistent long lasting seal and find myself constantly having to adjust them. Foam tips seem to solve the problem but I just can't do foam!

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #4,161 of 17,889
I solved the fit problem by using the Azla Xelastec tips. They just stay where I put them due to their weirdly sticky surface.

And yeah, the pink-pink combo was what saved the Elysium initially for me. When I got it, I immediately put it on my usual red-blue and was less than impressed. Now, I've moved up to pink-red and I'm going to continue tinkering with the combinations from time to time as burn-in continues. It should be good to go a week from now, and then I'll decide how to proceed.

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #4,162 of 17,889
I like the red as well. Both the red and the pink/purple I think provide very good balance across all frequencies. I strongly disliked the stock configuration with black filters. I guess I'm not a bass-head!

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #4,163 of 17,889
Now, I've moved up to pink-red and I'm going to continue tinkering with the combinations from time to time as burn-in continues. It should be good to go a week from now, and then I'll decide how to proceed.
Pink is probably more purple, right?

I'm currently blue lower and green upper on the Elan and like it a lot, but want to try some other combos before having a primary combo.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #4,164 of 17,889
Pink is probably more purple, right?

I'm currently blue lower and green upper on the Elan and like it a lot, but want to try some other combos before having a primary combo.
Yes, pink = purple. though to me the colour is more pink than purple.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #4,165 of 17,889
Yes, pink = purple. though to me the colour is more pink than purple.
Yeah, it's kind of an in between. On the Azla Xelastec tips, what size are you using? Seems like the advice is to go a little smaller than usual with them.

I tend to have a large tip for right ear and medium for left. Been that way for many years and a good handful of IEMs.

Thanks...

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #4,166 of 17,889
I only had medium, but I've ordered MS and S sized ones to get deeper fit and better contact of the shell with my ear to get more out of bone conduction.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #4,167 of 17,889
Yeah, it's kind of an in between. On the Azla Xelastec tips, what size are you using? Seems like the advice is to go a little smaller than usual with them.

I tend to have a large tip for right ear and medium for left. Been that way for many years and a good handful of IEMs.

Thanks...

All Azla tips seem to be sized half a size larger than typical which means you need to size down half a size than your usual size. So your large would be a M/L and your medium would be a M/S.

Luckily you can buy them in a multi size pack of various offerings.

Azla Xelastics

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #4,168 of 17,889
20211125_135823.jpg

IMR Splash Of Red vs. Dunu Falcon Pro:

So I got the Falcon Pro today for a quick listen. The unit was well burnt-in I believe, whereas my SOR was a fresh out of the box unit.

Firstly, I could not settle for anything less than the Transparency nozzle and the Whirlwind L sized tips. Yup, I am a treble-head. But honestly, this combo sounds the best. I’m not saying the other combos are bad, but just not to my preference.

On Splash Of Red I chose the Grey Nozzle and Blue upper filter combination - moderate bass and most treble.

Now, coming to the sound, I am going to note it down pointwise:

• Low end is slightly fuller on Falcon Pro. Slams feel a tiny bit more physical and decay is slightly slower. Subbass rumbles stay longer in the scene. However, SOR is not far behind. Bass slams equally hard, just feels a tiny bit leaner and cleaner, decay is slightly faster. On Falcon pro the bass sometimes may hint at colouring the mids, but on SOR it absolutely stays out of the mids’ way. Make no mistake, Splash Of Red has a quite physical low end with a very satisfactory thump - it is certainly not weak.
  • Lower mid is a bit fuller on Falcon Pro with polished upper mids. The details are well reproduced, however, the notes are quite smooth. Smooth and comfortable listening is Falcon Pro’s motto it seems. Separation is nice for the price and for a single DD. On occasions the mids may sound a bit veiled and dark. However, Splash Of Red is polar opposite - it brings life into the music! Lower mid has a very nice and full body, whereas the upper mids are sparkling and energetic! Male vocals sound equally impressive on both Falcon Pro and SOR, but female vocals are preferred to a larger extent on SOR. SOR plays the female vocals with considerably more energy and emotions. In general, SOR has noticeably higher transparency and air in the mid region than Falcon Pro - which aids in the perceived separation as well. Splash Of Red is most definitely aiming for an active listening session where the listener feels engaged and enlivened, whereas Falcon Pro has its modus operandi set on providing the listener a comfortable listening session - to kick back and relax with a healthy dose of music and nice bourbon. SOR notes have a sharper edge to them compared to Falcon Pro, which might introduce occasional peaks in harsh or sharp passages - but it never becomes noticeably uncomfortable. Falcon pro obviously handles these passages better by smoothening the edges, but it also eats the air. Acoustic string instruments sound incredible on both - slightly cleaner on SOR, slightly more organic and fuller on Falcon Pro.
  • Treble is where I prefer Splash Of Red more than Falcon Pro. It took me the transparency nozzle to bring out a treble that at least hints at my preference. I prefer a sparkling and airy treble - which the Falcon Pro does not have either with reference or atmospheric immersion nozzles. Transparency nozzle makes it brighter, but still not as much as I would like, but better than the others. Dunu tuned the treble of Falcon Pro a bit too safely to complete the comfortable presentation. Splash Of Red has no such constraints - it goes with its guns blazing in the high frequencies also. Bright, sparkling, airy treble that makes the listener go WOW from the very onset. However, in case I want to smooth it down, the other upper filters are at my disposal, but I certainly prefer it this way. The extension is very good, notes are crisp and details are not held bac Well, frankly, in spite of the smooth treble, Falcon Pro also does not lack in the details section of treble. Just the extension and air are compromised a bit.
  • Stage is where there is a distinct difference between the Splash Of Red and Falcon Pro. Whereas Falcon Pro has more stage height, SOR wins in width. Depth is mostly comparable on both, however, due to the laid back treble, stage of Falcon Pro mightbe perceived having a bit more depth. Splash Of Red has a noticeably more clean and transparent presentation, which, coupled with the wider stage makes it a pretty impressive experience from the get go. Separation feels to be better as well. Falcon Pro is not lacking much behind though - the experience is not very muffled, but compared to SOR the feeling of less transparency definitely lingers there.

So, that’s all. Both Splash Of Red and Falcon Pro are equally impressive, but it seems SOR is most certainly favoured by my preferences more. Also, I might be biased to it as well since it is my personal unit, so cut me some slack there.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #4,169 of 17,889
SOR and SOG is really very special. Practically nothing can match it at this price point.

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #4,170 of 17,889
SOR and SOG is really very special. Practically nothing can match it at this price point.

I've SOR and interested in purchasing SOG. Is SOG just like SOR with more bass or are there other differences (briefly)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back