Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 24, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #2,911 of 17,713
I just received my Elysium, and was floored by the bass. I actually forgot it had bone conduction, and was wondering how on earth did they manage to get that bass out of IEMs - without it being overwhelming or boomy. That's just from initial testing.

As these are my first IMRs, I'm quite confused about the tips. Is there a guide for them? Not my first tunable IEMs, but the schematics in the instruction booklet aren't very helpful, and the handful of sample pairings isn't comprehensive, either. Any recommendations for rock and metal, something with solid bass, and taming the highs due to my sensitivity to sibilance? Black bottom ring and green tip worked well in my short testing session.

And does the backplate have any impact on audio, or is it just cosmetics? Disappointed there was no torque (?) wrench, not sure if I have such a tiny wrench lying around.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,912 of 17,713
I just received my Elysium, and was floored by the bass. I actually forgot it had bone conduction, and was wondering how on earth did they manage to get that bass out of IEMs - without it being overwhelming or boomy. That's just from initial testing.

As these are my first IMRs, I'm quite confused about the tips. Is there a guide for them? Not my first tunable IEMs, but the schematics in the instruction booklet aren't very helpful, and the handful of sample pairings isn't comprehensive, either. Any recommendations for rock and metal, something with solid bass, and taming the highs due to my sensitivity to sibilance? Black bottom ring and green tip worked well in my short testing session.

And does the backplate have any impact on audio, or is it just cosmetics? Disappointed there was no torque (?) wrench, not sure if I have such a tiny wrench lying around.

Have fun with them BUT they NEED at least 200 hours burn in / use before they will truly show what they can do. Personally I swear by NewBee Foam tips but there any many recs on recent pages - just go back and read the comments for the last week or so :) I dont think they are tuned to be used with an open back so the plate changes are only for cosmetic value

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #2,913 of 17,713
Have fun with them BUT they NEED at least 200 hours burn in / use before they will truly show what they can do. Personally I swear by NewBee Foam tips but there any many recs on recent pages - just go back and read the comments for the last week or so :) I dont think they are tuned to be used with an open back so the plate changes are only for cosmetic value

I tried the NewBee tips after reading your posts, arrived today. They are a great match with the Elysium, good seal and comfortable

Good find👍

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #2,914 of 17,713

And does the backplate have any impact on audio, or is it just cosmetics? Disappointed there was no torque (?) wrench, not sure if I have such a tiny wrench lying aro
Glad you enjoy your first IMR.
You have to let your own ears be the judge on what setup you prefer as it boils down to individual hearing , tips and sources being used and preferred music genre. I personally like wide bore tips like Sedna and Spiral Dots on them.
The nozzles that control the bass in order from least to most:
green,silver,pink,red,grey,blue and black . Not sure about the gold but it’s a lot.
And ffilters order for treble : green,pink,red,black and blue. Again not sure about the gold as it makes the sound weird to me.
You have to experiment to find your ideal setup. The open back makes the sound slighty diffused and a touch wider in stage. Be aware that they do go through changes with burn in so you may want to hoid off experimenting too much right now.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,915 of 17,713
I tried the NewBee tips after reading your posts, arrived today. They are a great match with the Elysium, good seal and comfortable

Good find👍

Glad to hear it :D - They are tough, last for ages and well...as I say they are all I use now

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #2,916 of 17,713

After experimenting with my Elysium for the last few days, I think I have settled on a Red lower/Red upper combo. The Elysium sounds incredible with many combos but This one works best for my tastes.

It’s my first IMR purchase as well and I have to say I am mighty impressed by what Bob has achieved in the Elysium.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #2,917 of 17,713
everybody is getting their new bone conduction headphones (hope to read about the opus melius too)

today i got the "knight"

last of the "budget" trio, i was expecting the edp+ bass and some mids in between, maybe a cute little on the go headphone...

oh man... was i wrong...

VERY

WRONG

this thing hits LOOOOOOOOW, im amazed by this little 6mm driver, im on blue/ blue (my standard config for IMR) and it pushes some serious air, mids are fun, detailed and a wee forward but the bass balances everything, highs feel a bit metalic right now, but im guessing they will settle with a couple of hours of playing,OOTB sound left me speechless, for the price, they are a serious bargain. King Crule - Baby blue has this amazing guitar in the beggining with the voice coming to stage in the most present way, i was in awe by the quality of the guitars, and then BOOOOOM, that bass hits... detailed, bold, big... BOB!!! why didnt you give us that in the EDP+ (i get it, its the "neutral" one)

im impressed with the knight, it surprised me just like the ie800 did, its a small iem (size wise) but has a brutal potential, and the sound quality its mesmerizing, i feel this is a EDP (first version) thing, where it was a budget headphone that blew out of the park all the expectations and exceeded them. IMR red, EDP and this are the little enginge that BLASTED THE HECK OUT OF EVERYTHING and could...

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #2,918 of 17,713
Imr customer service email
It’s in their website, fb works as well. Bob always replies. Even for the smallest question. The items will
Get to you or you can ask for a refund. Whatever fills your needs. It’s being said about the problems in the postal office and it’s been said that this takes time. Please chill
yeah i just mailed Bob and he said I'm one of the unlucky guy whose package was lost. He said he's assembling extra units for me and unfortunate others.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #2,920 of 17,713

There are two basic things about IMR filters.
1. Lower Filter (Bass) with tiny hole and without tiny hole : There is a minuscule hole in the circumference. No hole means maximum bass. And Bass will decrease as the hole size increases.

2. Upper Filter(Treble): All these upper filters differs in terms of the weight of the dampening material inside them. no dampening material means full treble. as the weight of the material increases, treble decreases proportionately. You can even try your own dampening material in case you don't like the IMR provided ones.

The next most important thing is the selection of right eartips. If you can't achieve proper seal, then selection of filters will not help you much.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #2,921 of 17,713
everybody is getting their new bone conduction headphones (hope to read about the opus melius too)

today i got the "knight"

last of the "budget" trio, i was expecting the edp+ bass and some mids in between, maybe a cute little on the go headphone...

oh man... was i wrong...

VERY

WRONG

this thing hits LOOOOOOOOW, im amazed by this little 6mm driver, im on blue/ blue (my standard config for IMR) and it pushes some serious air, mids are fun, detailed and a wee forward but the bass balances everything, highs feel a bit metalic right now, but im guessing they will settle with a couple of hours of playing,OOTB sound left me speechless, for the price, they are a serious bargain. King Crule - Baby blue has this amazing guitar in the beggining with the voice coming to stage in the most present way, i was in awe by the quality of the guitars, and then BOOOOOM, that bass hits... detailed, bold, big... BOB!!! why didnt you give us that in the EDP+ (i get it, its the "neutral" one)

im impressed with the knight, it surprised me just like the ie800 did, its a small iem (size wise) but has a brutal potential, and the sound quality its mesmerizing, i feel this is a EDP (first version) thing, where it was a budget headphone that blew out of the park all the expectations and exceeded them. IMR red, EDP and this are the little enginge that BLASTED THE HECK OUT OF EVERYTHING and could...
Nice!
So is the Knight closed back or open, or both?
The IMR site pic's show both, but the written description doesn't mention the stock config'.

Jun 25, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #2,922 of 17,713
....and after a few hours later...

Elysium is amazing. I though bob will do a neutral IEM. but the basses.... still plenty of and this time, they are very controlled. Subbasses follows the same way. For me, it is a basshead IEM too.and everything stay clear. The voices are heaven. The planar still shows his incredible details and sweet sound capacity. With blue/pink combination, harshness has settle down. The BC driver brings the music in the head. It's like the singer is in stage with me. The music sound so real and natural. I love the color, designe of the shell. It is very comfortable and the new cable will not go out. Each new model always impresses me more. I am discovering my playlists again and that gives me a lot of emotions.Like Bob said, if it's the last IEM I have, I will be more than happy.

Again, well done Bob and a very big thanks!!🤩💓💓

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #2,923 of 17,713

today i got the "knight"

oh man... was i wrong...

VERY

WRONG

this is a review full of enthusiasm and commitment. it makes you want to order them. 🤩🤩🥳💓

Jun 25, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,925 of 17,713
After spending a little more time with the Elysium, I can’t stress enough how extraordinary they are. Every now and then there are IEMs that just sound so ‘right’ whilst also having a very distinct flavour of their own and, as such, go on to be hugely well regarded amongst head-fiers.

In my experience, in just the last few years I’ve had the great fortune of owning the Oriolus Trailli, EE Odin, EE Legend X and the criminally under-hyped Penon Volt and Penon Globe, all at very different price points but all sharing that ‘special sauce’ element that make them truly stand out.

For me, the IMR Elysium is absolutely in the same bracket and, even compared to these incredible IEMs, stands out with very much it’s own flavour. If it’s not clear enough already, I absolutely LOVE the Elysium and I’m not even at the end of the suggested burn-in period yet. Definitely a keeper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back