Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 19, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,761 of 17,906
The one thing I've noticed so far is the bass response at this very early stage of burn-in is not as present as previous IMR models, don't get me wrong it's there but not as strong. Using the reference combo the sound was a little tinny, never had that with previous models, even at this stage of burn in.

Im wondering if the 'tinny' sound your hearing is a trait of the hard ADLC driver? I can well imagine that being so hard it would take some time to 'warm up'
Im around 190 hours with the EDP+ and with some combos there seems an area of 'hollowness' like there is a warm heart missing in the music - then with other combos just the opposite! - Ive also heard a 'glass like brittleness' at times which again I can well imagine would be a trait of new ADLC driver?

Im wondering though (just in general) if this is in the arena of what Bob is referring to as 'realism' and that for him a bit less low end and more clarity is what he means / his intentions are? as he has mentioned increased realism a few times now

Every combo Im trying is having very clear differences in tonality and balance of frequencies - Haven't heard this as much from any other IMR - IEM

To complicate things Ive just started using the (just arrived) new 4.4mm cable (Very nice btw)
Still trying different combos - getting there

Weirdly, when I tried again today the sound had changed a lot - very warm and muddy !!!
Anyway, things are getting better - I reckon we are going to have to go for 300+ hours burn in on this one though ! :D

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #2,762 of 17,906
I can't even track my package yet. Does anybody have the same issue? I ordered my Astra Ultraque with international Royal Mail delivery.
I still don't have a tracking number for my ASTRA..

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #2,763 of 17,906
Thats normal - it means that either A, he has printed the label at home and will hand deliver the parcel on Monday OR (more likely) It takes 1-2 days for the first scan. For example - it leaves the LOCAL post office - gets to the main sorting office, then goes to Heathrow Airport sorting office. Its quite possible it get get its first trackable scan at Heathrow

Anyway - its normal to show error / not found for day 1 or 2 :D

Oh and WELCOME to the Head fi forums :) x
Welcome! most likely, I haven't gotten mine. No Monday perhaps.

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #2,764 of 17,906
Im wondering if the 'tinny' sound your hearing is a trait of the hard ADLC driver? I can well imagine that being so hard it would take some time to 'warm up'
Im around 190 hours with the EDP+ and with some combos there seems an area of 'hollowness' like there is a warm heart missing in the music - then with other combos just the opposite! - Ive also heard a 'glass like brittleness' at times which again I can well imagine would be a trait of new ADLC driver?

Im wondering though (just in general) if this is in the arena of what Bob is referring to as 'realism' and that for him a bit less low end and more clarity is what he means / his intentions are? as he has mentioned increased realism a few times now

Every combo Im trying is having very clear differences in tonality and balance of frequencies - Haven't heard this as much from any other IMR - IEM

To complicate things Ive just started using the (just arrived) new 4.4mm cable (Very nice btw)
Still trying different combos - getting there

Weirdly, when I tried again today the sound had changed a lot - very warm and muddy !!!
Anyway, things are getting better - I reckon we are going to have to go for 300+ hours burn in on this one though ! :D
Does the new 4.4mm cable have an angled jack?

My last gen' 4.4mm IMR cable went hard from the split up.
Like, really quite stiff, I can bend shapes into the wire and they persist, almost like there's a memory wire running all the way from the split to the 2-pin connectors.

The other cables supplied are just as supple as they were upon arrival, but I've not used them at all.

How similar does construction of the new cables look compared to the old ones?

I'm currently using a NiceHCK cable, which is fine, but doesn't have an angled jack either, and I really want an angled 4.4mm cable (I love that the new cables have angled 2-pin connectors, but haven't seen any pic's of the jack end yet).

Jun 19, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #2,765 of 17,906
@holsen

I don't think they protrude any more than my Halcyon however they do go a bit deeper into my canal. Fit seems more secure to me than previous IMR models.
The bone conduction is really hard to explain, the best way I think I can describe is this - it feels like you are in the middle of the music, like it's really close. I've often read people describe a sound akin to being front row or further back however this feels like you are next to the music, if that makes sense.

@jon parker

I think your spot on with the thought of the new ADLC driver being the reason for what could be considered a slightly different presentation to the IMR sound. It was what I was thinking myself. Don't get me wrong it has what I term as the 'Bob' sound but it feels even at this very early stage that he has moved the sound on a bit, matured it if you like.
The one thing thing that is standing out early for me is the smooth delivery of mids which I assume is the work of the planar driver.

Jun 19, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2,766 of 17,906
Has anybody tried Apple Music and especially the Dolby Atmos with the Bone Conduction as of yet.

I have tried various and most of the streaming services and i am usually left feeling very underwhelmed and contrary to public opinion i generally get vastly more enjoyment by using Youtube/Music. I'm not interested in numbers so i can say i am listening to the best, i actually listen and decide what sounds the best to me based on the level of my emotional connection to the music.

So i have again tried using Apple Music on another free trial to try out the Dolby Atmos and, well, colour me impressed. It to me sounds better on wired DAC connections as well as bluetooth and how i imagine the Bone Conductors to add i feel i am getting from Apple Music so if the Bone Conduction can add to this then i would be in heaven.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,767 of 17,906
Has anybody tried Apple Music and especially the Dolby Atmos with the Bone Conduction as of yet.

I have tried various and most of the streaming services and i am usually left feeling very underwhelmed and contrary to public opinion i generally get vastly more enjoyment by using Youtube/Music. I'm not interested in numbers so i can say i am listening to the best, i actually listen and decide what sounds the best to me based on the level of my emotional connection to the music.

So i have again tried using Apple Music on another free trial to try out the Dolby Atmos and, well, colour me impressed. It to me sounds better on wired DAC connections as well as bluetooth and how i imagine the Bone Conductors to add i feel i am getting from Apple Music so if the Bone Conduction can add to this then i would be in heaven.
I am currently trying out Apple Music for the first time and like you, I have to say I am impressed even though the Android app is not yet optimised.

I have not taken the plunge on Bone Conduction so I not very helpful in that regard. Hopefully, the Android app will have the full features soon.

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2,768 of 17,906
I am currently trying out Apple Music for the first time and like you, I have to say I am impressed even though the Android app is not yet optimised.

I have not taken the plunge on Bone Conduction so I not very helpful in that regard. Hopefully, the Android app will have the full features soon.

I am on a windows PC and iPhone.
The Dolby Atmos has given me all I ever need in a portable or wire free set up using Bluetooth over the Soundpeats H1.
For windows using iTunes through a DAC all the features still work for when I want a better sound quality. The only thing that sucks is my laptop initially shipped with windows 7 so iTunes is laggy some what but works at least.

How about a DJ live on YouTube for a while, if you have a bass cannon you may as well listen to some bass, right?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #2,770 of 17,906
I ordered both, astra and elysium. I receive the tracking number only for elysium. I think he will send astra after elysium. Next week.
And once you get the tracking number, it usually takes a couple of days before it shows up in the Royal Mail system (scanned in) Its been this way with everyone of my orders including the current one.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,771 of 17,906
I ordered both, astra and elysium. I receive the tracking number only for elysium. I think he will send astra after elysium. Next week.
Hmm, in that case most likely. I did not order the elysium, because of the MEST mk2, but at one point I was considering both.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2,773 of 17,906
I ordered both, astra and elysium.
That's a comparison I'm really looking forward to hearing. I still want an Electrostat in my collection but went with the Elysium even though I've got another planar at present in the RAH. Eagerly awaiting the first impressions to roll in on this and the MoonDrop Variations My next and last (yeah, right... ) will be the Astra, Variations or Mest .....

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,774 of 17,906
Hmm, in that case most likely. I did not order the elysium, because of the MEST mk2, but at one point I was considering both.
I ordered both because I have daps that produces different sound. One warmer , shambling m8, I will use astra with to balance the smooth sound and fiio m11 pro I will use elysium with to balance the more analytical sound. The planar is a very detailed sound, but very smooth.

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,775 of 17,906
That's a comparison I'm really looking forward to hearing. I still want an Electrostat in my collection but went with the Elysium even though I've got another planar at present in the RAH. Eagerly awaiting the first impressions to roll in on this and the MoonDrop Variations My next and last (yeah, right... ) will be the Astra, Variations or Mest .....
I think next year he will produce an astra and elysium with the cnt adlc driver. For me, EST without planar is like an explosion of sound and details everywhere. I am based on r3 halcyon. And only planar brings a more controlled, mature, audiophile sound where all instruments are in their place. I am based on semper, even if it has EST too. I am looking forward to compare both.

I noticed, when it has only EST, the bass from the DD is more present and crisper because of the EST. And when it has a planar, it mixes with the DD and that produces a smoother bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back