Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,608 of 17,893
My left Semper unit gives me driver flex and needs to be worn looser than my right unit. My right unit, no matter how I handle it putting it into my rught ear, never driver flexes.

Is there a way to know if its my ear canal that is weird and causing a vacuum for the dd or the left unit needs repair?

Oh, this is with the open tuner; not using the closed one.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,609 of 17,893
My left Semper unit gives me driver flex and needs to be worn looser than my right unit. My right unit, no matter how I handle it putting it into my rught ear, never driver flexes.

Is there a way to know if its my ear canal that is weird and causing a vacuum for the dd or the left unit needs repair?

Oh and this isn't then open tuner. Not the closed one.
For me, with my Xelento, RAH and EDP I get flex on the right but not on the left. Because I get it with all three, I've concluded it's my ear. DDs are notorius for producing Flex and there's a big one in there. My Driver Flex issue only surfaces when I'm using silicone tips, its a non issue with foams. Try a foam on the left and see what happens. That may answer your question.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #1,610 of 17,893

Driver flex is primarily caused by your ear anatomy + eartip used. It's not a symptom of your IEM being faulty, though IEM design can lend itself to driver flex coupled with the two aspects (I get driver flex in my right ear on the IT00, in my left ear with the Starsea, and in the right ear with the Aten). In the case of IMR, the nozzle choice can also cause some driver flex. My Aten flexes with the black nozzle, but not the red one.

There are several ways to alleviate this:
1) As @holsen said, use foam tips, as being porous they don't trap air to the same degree as silicone tips. In my case using foams is the only way I can use the Starsea without driver flex and a sensation of pressure in my left ear.
2) Use smaller size tips than usual
3) Open your mouth and pull your earlobe up with your free hand to expand your ear canal when inserting the eartip. Then slowly release your earlobe and close your mouth to let your ear canal close around the eartip, allowing more air to escape without pushing it wards your eardrum
4) Insert the eartip slowly to allow air to escape around it

There is no consensus whether driver flex can result in your IEM getting damaged. I had flex in my FH3 and it broke after just one day of use (though it looks like there are a lot of broken FH3s out there), but IT00 and Aten have been fine all this time.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,611 of 17,893
I'm not worried about them breaking, drivers can take way more abuse then the vacuum my ears give them.

I guess my left ear, needs foamies that remain pinched as I insert them.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,612 of 17,893
I'm not worried about them breaking, drivers can take way more abuse then the vacuum my ears give them.

I suggest the Tennmak foams. They don't affect the mids as much as other foam tips I've tried.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,613 of 17,893

Try the Tennmak Foams I've written fairly extensively about. They are super comfortable, slow rebound, fit like comply but don't muddy the bass or kill the treble. They are tough as nails, wear like iron and cheap as chips... Everyone who has tried them have been pretty impressed; many have written thanking me for the recommendation. $7 for 6 pair is worth rolling the dice Tennmak Foams

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,614 of 17,893
I got the set of EPro ear tips in today (thanks Amazon for 1 day Prime delivery...). I just couldn't get a good seal with them. The silicone was a bit too soft and didn't have the body to form a seal, and without that good seal it was like a thief stole my Opus Mia's DD, lol. So back to the Azla Sedna Earfits for me.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #1,615 of 17,893
Try the Tennmak Foams I've written fairly extensively about. They are super comfortable, slow rebound, fit like comply but don't muddy the bass or kill the treble. They are tough as nails, wear like iron and cheap as chips... Everyone who has tried them have been pretty impressed; many have written thanking me for the recommendation. $7 for 6 pair is worth rolling the dice Tennmak Foams
Are the black foam tips included with Opus Mia Tennmak tips?

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #1,617 of 17,893
Jan 22, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #1,618 of 17,893
My video about PB2, Semper is in progress :)

Another great review! Thank you. I watch everything you do, I really like your style. When I looked at PB2 as they were released I basically called them EDP with Electrostat. I was curious though if the bass was different on the PB2 vs EDP. You touched it briefly in your review but I'd love a difinitive statement as to how differnent the PB2 is from EDP. I know we are both EDP fans and we are both RAH fans. My question is really this: Since we seem to have similar IMR tastes and given the fact that I've already got an EDP I love, should I keep my radar up for a PB2, is it that different?

Anyway, looking forward to your Semper Comments.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,619 of 17,893
Driver flex is primarily caused by your ear anatomy + eartip used. It's not a symptom of your IEM being faulty, though IEM design can lend itself to driver flex coupled with the two aspects (I get driver flex in my right ear on the IT00, in my left ear with the Starsea, and in the right ear with the Aten). In the case of IMR, the nozzle choice can also cause some driver flex. My Aten flexes with the black nozzle, but not the red one.

There are several ways to alleviate this:
1) As @holsen said, use foam tips, as being porous they don't trap air to the same degree as silicone tips. In my case using foams is the only way I can use the Starsea without driver flex and a sensation of pressure in my left ear.
2) Use smaller size tips than usual
3) Open your mouth and pull your earlobe up with your free hand to expand your ear canal when inserting the eartip. Then slowly release your earlobe and close your mouth to let your ear canal close around the eartip, allowing more air to escape without pushing it wards your eardrum
4) Insert the eartip slowly to allow air to escape around it

There is no consensus whether driver flex can result in your IEM getting damaged. I had flex in my FH3 and it broke after just one day of use (though it looks like there are a lot of broken FH3s out there), but IT00 and Aten have been fine all this time.

This happens cause black nozzles are not vented as the other colours are..... 😄

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #1,620 of 17,893

Don't worry, all my IMR iems except EDP are showing driver flex on my left hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back