• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 12, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #661 of 17,889
Halcyon vs MEST
I used the same Norne Audio Silvergard S3 cable/foam tip combo on both iems for a quick test.

Filters on the Halcyon are the green bottoms with blue top. This combination was the closest I could get to the MEST's sound sig.

Not being wordy and straight to the point, everything on the MEST is much cleaner and better detailed than the Halcyon. When I listened to the MEST and went to the Halcyon, the MEST made the Halcyon sound muddy with an added veil. It's crazy as this is something with the Halcyon I've never noticed!!.

I haven't heard the Halcyon, but I own the MEST.
As has been alluded to by others, you're not always going to be able to get the clearest picture of a comparison between two IEM's by simply A/B testing them immediately one after another. This is a technique I do use, for sure, but experience has shown me that it's also necessary to enjoy extended listening sessions (ideally whilst making notes) for each IEM in isolation.

To illustrate this, when I switch from the MEST directly to my Empire Ears Phantom, I feel the Phantom sounds very veiled and muddy.
However, if I have an extended listening session with the Phantom, that veiled/muddy feeling will disappear in 10mins or so as my brain adapts to the different sound signature.
I may not even notice any veiled feeling if I listen to the Phantom having not listened to any other IEMs that day.

Similarly, when I go from Phantom directly to the MEST, I feel the MEST sounds a bit thin and lacking in body and richness.
Again, a lengthier listening session will disabuse me of this notion :)

And the key point here is that, for me at least, both of these IEMs are extremely good, just in contrasting ways.

The MEST is outstanding I feel, but I'd certainly encourage you to give the Halcyon some extended listening, away from the MEST to help you get a better feel for its strengths and weaknesses. Anyway, hope this is helpful to you, or others :)

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #664 of 17,889
He did a comparison because I was interested in the Mest and I asked him if he would. :)

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #665 of 17,889
Now I don't know how close the signatures are with green nozzle and blue filter, but this setup is not to my taste on Opus Mia. It's bass light and too bright for me. So I don't know if I want the Mest or not. Thank you for the comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #666 of 17,889
I haven't heard the Halcyon, but I own the MEST.
As has been alluded to by others, you're not always going to be able to get the clearest picture of a comparison between two IEM's by simply A/B testing them immediately one after another. This is a technique I do use, for sure, but experience has shown me that it's also necessary to enjoy extended listening sessions (ideally whilst making notes) for each IEM in isolation.

To illustrate this, when I switch from the MEST directly to my Empire Ears Phantom, I feel the Phantom sounds very veiled and muddy.
However, if I have an extended listening session with the Phantom, that veiled/muddy feeling will disappear in 10mins or so as my brain adapts to the different sound signature.
I may not even notice any veiled feeling if I listen to the Phantom having not listened to any other IEMs that day.

Similarly, when I go from Phantom directly to the MEST, I feel the MEST sounds a bit thin and lacking in body and richness.
Again, a lengthier listening session will disabuse me of this notion :)

And the key point here is that, for me at least, both of these IEMs are extremely good, just in contrasting ways.

The MEST is outstanding I feel, but I'd certainly encourage you to give the Halcyon some extended listening, away from the MEST to help you get a better feel for its strengths and weaknesses. Anyway, hope this is helpful to you, or others :)

yes I agree 1000%, I went down the same path, and came to the same conclusions on trying to A/B IEM's, quickly going from one to the other made both sound off? but if I casually started with and listened to anyone one for a period of time, then for hours I could fall into a wonderful audio experience,

I was trying to go thru, IMR's Zenith, R2 Aten, and Red, PB1, Halcyon, my ASG's, Oriolus MK1, and finally the Opus! but don't go from the what to the what, or else this n that, each one is there own wonder, just like going from eating a steak to eating a PBnJ, leaves me not wanting either, but each one is delicious on it's own,

but until I got to that point, UGH!!!!!! my head would spin 😵, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything? and I would frantically go back and forth trying to figure out what was happening? but VERY very slowly, I came to realize that it was my own audio ineptitude coming to the surface, and that my ears aren't as discerning as I thought? and that I would have to get settled into my audio therapy sessions more casually, and lower my expectations/not have any, and then I could listen for hours and know that I had some pretty awesome gear at my fingertips,

but hubba hubba, quickly going from one IEM to the other was hard on my brain 🤣, and after pinpointing the cause of my dilemma's, a rare, well look around, I guess not so rare, lol, form of incompetus mentas 🧐😱, and not defective audio gear, so now I could get back to my audio therapy, and all became right with the world again 😇! well at least I voted against fascism?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #668 of 17,889
"I feel the MEST sounds a bit thin and lacking in body and richness."

This is Layman 1's statement that I totally agree with!

My aim was just to give you a quick idea...
I appreciate it. It helps a lot actually, I think It would not be to my preference based on what you said. Maybe Penon Volt is the way to go for me, I don't know, I'm also waiting for Semper.

Nov 13, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #673 of 17,889
"I feel the MEST sounds a bit thin and lacking in body and richness."

This is Layman 1's statement that I totally agree with!

My aim was just to give you a quick idea...

Hi, and thank you!
Whilst it's an honour to know that people are listening to something I've said - and I appreciate the quote - this is not exactly what I was saying! :)

I do need to clarify this, as this statement has been quoted somewhat out of context! :)

I said that when I A/B compared the MEST with the Empire Ears Phantom, switching immediately from one to the other, that the MEST would sound a bit thin and lacking in body and richness.
I am not drawing a conclusion saying that the MEST is in fact thin and lacking in body and richness though :sweat_smile:
The Phantom is a very dark, rich, intimate and warm IEM; almost the polar opposite of the MEST.

Indeed, I could take pretty much any IEM that didn't have a thick, rich, warm tuning, listen to it back to back with the EE Phantom, and that other IEM would sound thin and lacking in body and richness in comparison.

I also added that this perception of a lack of body and richness would disappear after 10-15mins of listening, as it was just caused by my brain adjusting to a very different signature to the Phantom.

So that's to clear up my specific comment posted recently regarding A/B testing the MEST back to back with another IEM with a different tuning.

Finally, to address more generally my thoughts on the MEST tuning, I would add that there are many people who would not find the Phantom (or my Stealth Sonics U4) to their tastes at all.
This is the subjective part of the audio hobby.
I personally love those IEMs, and as such, my taste has evolved somewhat.
I do enjoy a bit of neutral reference now and again, but I find that I tend to want a bit more body/weight/richness/warmth in my IEMs than I did previously.
Again, this is purely based on my own preferences and it may change and develop again in future. The joys of being an audiophile; it's a wonderful journey :)

So yes, with my personal taste, that can range quite far from 'neutral reference' into warm/rich etc, I sometimes wish for a little bit more warmth/richness/body in the lower mids.
But this is not the same as making a declaration that the MEST - for most people - is going to feel lacking in warmth/richness/body.
I hope you all understand my meaning!
I may not have explained myself clearly enough originally, so I do apologise if I've unintentionally given an impression that was not my intention, and I hope this post serves to clarify matters :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #674 of 17,889
I appreciate it. It helps a lot actually, I think It would not be to my preference based on what you said. Maybe Penon Volt is the way to go for me, I don't know, I'm also waiting for Semper.

owning Volt I can confirm, Anyway Opus Mia scale a lot with right tips and c...e!
I can’t say this word😂
Anyway my favorite Azla on Opus mia are earfit short, but I’d try JVC later.

94979F76-6536-49DC-95C5-BB787BC6A891.jpeg

Nov 13, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #675 of 17,889
owning Volt I can confirm, Anyway Opus Mia scale a lot with right tips and c...e!
I can’t say this word😂
Anyway my favorite Azla on Opus mia are earfit short, but I’d try JVC later.

94979F76-6536-49DC-95C5-BB787BC6A891.jpeg
Lol, I agree the Azla short works great with OM.

Thanks for your input, based on the reviews the Volt is really tempting to me. I wonder how is the clarity and soundstage compared to Opus Mis , especially height?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back