Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 7, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #646 of 17,876
At last! I found the setup which works perfectly for me on the Opus Mia and in my view they are just Magnificent!

Wow, weighty rich bass, lush mids and highs which reveal every crispy tingle and sparkle.

I am off to spend more time with Opus Mia.
When you come back, maybe you could share your revelations with the rest of us :nerd:
:beerchug:

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #647 of 17,876
When you come back, maybe you could share your revelations with the rest of us :nerd:
:beerchug:

Absolutely, with pleasure.

To start with I had closed back, and black filter on black nozzles. I found the bass excessive with that setup, regardless of the tips I used.

I then opted for open back (which slighty tamed the bass). I then went through various nozzle and filter setups.

I eventually settled on grey nozzles with blue filters (only to find afterwards that it is one of the suggested setups in the enclosed booklet) capped off with Misodiko silicone sheath foams.
-539257628266603259.jpg
20201107_163636.jpg

-539257628266603259.jpg

The clarity and detail is fantastic, without compromising the bass, which is extremely potent but no longer overwhelming.

Unintentionally taking a cue from you, I happened on a reggae compilation, with a huge variety of bass heavy tracks. I could not believe the details which I noticed for the first time on tracks many of us have heard numerous times (regardless of whether we like reggae or not).

Screenshot_20201107-165255_Poweramp.jpg

I then moved on to jazz and nothing was lost in the treble, mids also shone beautifully.

I envisage many hours of re-discovery of music I already have in my collection.

Let us know if this setup works for you, if not, tell us about your setup.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #649 of 17,876
I'm at about 50+ hours on the Mia, there nicely coming along, WOW! very nice open big soundstage like the PB1, actually bigger, thunderous, cavernous like a cavern but all nicely filled in! WOW! I am liking how it sounds, not sure how to explain it, no peaky mids or spikey treble, WOW! but it's a mighty big sound! WOW! it will be interesting to see where the sound winds up? but where ever it is I'm sure I will enjoy it, WOW! fun fun fun! with a different cable, no need for any tape, lol,

thanks Bob!

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #650 of 17,876
I'm at about 50+ hours on the Mia, there nicely coming along, WOW! very nice open big soundstage like the PB1, actually bigger, thunderous, cavernous like a cavern but all nicely filled in! WOW! I am liking how it sounds, not sure how to explain it, no peaky mids or spikey treble, WOW! but it's a mighty big sound! WOW! it will be interesting to see where the sound winds up? but where ever it is I'm sure I will enjoy it, WOW! fun fun fun! with a different cable, no need for any tape, lol,

thanks Bob!

I second that! The Opus Mia are just Magnificent!

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #651 of 17,876
I second that! The Opus Mia are just Magnificent!

I third that! :relaxed:

Hey Chris, what gear have you listened to so far? not that I have a wide variety of experience, but if your new to audio gear, you came in at the right time with the right co. mainly Bob, cuz you won't have to look much further than IMR's gear, and make your wallet hate you, nothing better at his price point, hands down, well the Semper might beat the Opus, which I'm sure it will, but with good recordings, and the right source and amp the Opus Mia are just what you said, Magnificent!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #652 of 17,876
I third that! :relaxed:

Hey Chris, what gear have you listened to so far? not that I have a wide variety of experience, but if your new to audio gear, you came in at the right time with the right co. mainly Bob, cuz you won't have to look much further than IMR's gear, and make your wallet hate you, nothing better at his price point, hands down, well the Semper might beat the Opus, which I'm sure it will, but with good recordings, and the right source and amp the Opus Mia are just what you said, Magnificent!

Hi, I am not sure if you are, Andy from your handle. To answer your question, I have been around the block a few times but only recently became a member of Head-fi. I preferred to look in from outside but gave in eventually.

In terms of gear, I have a fair few headphones and IEMs, the usual endless pit. I am due my fourth IMR in the Semper, so I am with you, in terms of value for money and dependable sound quality, Bob does it every time.

Current discussions about the LZ A7, which I am sure is a very good set, but I see it as competing with the Aten, if at all, for Opus Mia money (after loyalty discount of course). I love my Red. Also much though I like Tin Hifi, I am not sure the P2 will match the Semper, granted they are in different price brackets. I echo your opinion, you cannot get better for the price when it comes to IMR sound quality and build quality. Fit used to be an issue and the EDPs had their issues but generally the build quality is very good.

If you are getting the Semper, you may want to watch Zeos' latest on the Tin P2. He talks about the 12mm planar (which I suspect is similar to, or the same as, the 12mm planar in the Semper) as best driven my a powerful amp to get the best out of them. Maybe worth noting for those of us getting the Semper.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #654 of 17,876
Hi, I am not sure if you are, Andy from your handle. To answer your question, I have been around the block a few times but only recently became a member of Head-fi. I preferred to look in from outside but gave in eventually.

In terms of gear, I have a fair few headphones and IEMs, the usual endless pit. I am due my fourth IMR in the Semper, so I am with you, in terms of value for money and dependable sound quality, Bob does it every time.

just goofey name I picked, my name is cecil, lol, just kidding, but well welcome LTL, nice that you've been around the block, than your appreciation for the IMR's gear isn't wasted, thanks for the info on more wallet crushing audio gear I'll check them out? but I am trying to climb out of the pit, but you can get tangled up in all cables, but that planar is a nice one for sure, and yes Bob does it every time, in hands it is a star, and he is the maestro of audio!

I was in line for the Semper, but pulled out after spots for the Mia opened back up, as I was more interested in them, I had the Halcyon, but sold that after I signed up for the Mia, taking a chance that they would be an improved version of the halcyon, it was a good long shot, because as you know it paid off,

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #656 of 17,876
Halcyon vs MEST
I used the same Norne Audio Silvergard S3 cable/foam tip combo on both iems for a quick test.

Filters on the Halcyon are the green bottoms with blue top. This combination was the closest I could get to the MEST's sound sig.

Not being wordy and straight to the point, everything on the MEST is much cleaner and better detailed than the Halcyon. When I listened to the MEST and went to the Halcyon, the MEST made the Halcyon sound muddy with an added veil. It's crazy as this is something with the Halcyon I've never noticed!!.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #657 of 17,876
Halcyon vs MEST
I used the same Norne Audio Silvergard S3 cable/foam tip combo on both iems for a quick test.

Filters on the Halcyon are the green bottoms with blue top. This combination was the closest I could get to the MEST's sound sig.

Not being wordy and straight to the point, everything on the MEST is much cleaner and better detailed than the Halcyon. When I listened to the MEST and went to the Halcyon, the MEST made the Halcyon sound muddy with an added veil. It's crazy as this is something with the Halcyon I've never noticed!!.
Well for a price Mest has to be capable. Thay price bracket is fairly competetive as is, without involving comparisons to cheaper iems.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #658 of 17,876
Well for a price Mest has to be capable. Thay price bracket is fairly competetive as is, without involving comparisons to cheaper iems.
And besides, a comparison with the Semper (whenever that will be possible) would be more meaningful.

Nov 12, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #659 of 17,876
Mest uses the bone conduction for mids, I wonder if it does not compete with the rest of the sound to give you mid details. Or it is all the same when it reaches the inner ear.

But either way, the veil could just be you used to another sound signature. Different emphasizes in different areas.. Remember to enjoy what you have and it is convenient to use.

Though the MEST has a following behind it that it probably is worthy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back