Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 25, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #10,411 of 17,892
I am another on t the last of where is the bass in DM. Even got really expensive dacs, tips, cables. EDP Ace and cheaper IEMs have rumble.. The bass is tight bust seems to really fall off below 50hz..

Once I get my BC and compare that I may talk to Bob again about the DM.
Audiosense AQ0 , CCA CRA, FAAEAL Hibiscus, TD02, TD10mk2 Reecho gy-20, Floaudio Calla, Nicechk DB1, and Vmoda Zn are now or in the mail.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #10,412 of 17,892
I am another on t the last of where is the bass in DM. Even got really expensive dacs, tips, cables. EDP Ace and cheaper IEMs have rumble.. The bass is tight bust seems to really fall off below 50hz..

Once I get my BC and compare that I may talk to Bob again about the DM.
Audiosense AQ0 , CCA CRA, FAAEAL Hibiscus, TD02, TD10mk2 Reecho gy-20, Floaudio Calla, Nicechk DB1, and Vmoda Zn are now or in the mail.
I mentioned this when i got the dm,
i think the rumble is there now? Its very odd coz its appears on only some songs

Its not what i expected , like u said the ace has that satisfying rumble that the dm dont have

Has anyone taken the back cap off the dm ? Any photos? Want to c how the 2nd dd is mounted

The main dd looks complete different to all other iems i have ( has a brass shell and small hole ) i guess thats for the bass purposes

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #10,413 of 17,892
I mentioned this when i got the dm,
i think the rumble is there now? Its very odd coz its appears on only some songs

Its not what i expected , like u said the ace has that satisfying rumble that the dm dont have

Has anyone taken the back cap off the dm ? Any photos? Want to c how the 2nd dd is mounted

The main dd looks complete different to all other iems i have ( has a brass shell and small hole ) i guess thats for the bass purposes
Don't quite get those who say the DM has no rumble, or little rumble. My version of the Ace cannot compete for rumble. With L Spiral Dot's and using 4.4mm, my DM's have RUMBLE in it's most rumbelicious sense.
I know IMR talk about doing hand assembly. Perhaps that leads to variability????

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #10,414 of 17,892
My Ace are in the Classifieds if anyone is hunting for a Black Friday offer.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #10,415 of 17,892
Don't quite get those who say the DM has no rumble, or little rumble. My version of the Ace cannot compete for rumble. With L Spiral Dot's and using 4.4mm, my DM's have RUMBLE in it's most rumbelicious sense.
I know IMR talk about doing hand assembly. Perhaps that leads to variability????
Maybe there is some differences between sets but there really shouldnt be
Not sure when u got your ace but i was one of the first to get theres so i got an early unit yet my dm is from the new batch ( serial number 272 i think ?)

Bob said all new iems since and incl the ace + zenith 2 r made in Germany now
So im guessing my dm is made in germany yet yours was made by bob in the uk?

Im loving the dm tho
Its the only imr i have ever managed to love from out the box with out no filter or tip change

Im running black black stock tips and all my iems run on 4.4mm

I will change tips on the dm

Spiral dots v1 didnt like v2 were my go too for my avalons but didnt like them on the ace

Will see if they make a difference

Nov 26, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #10,417 of 17,892
Interesting experience today clearly hearing different characteristics of some IMR's (all 4.4mm balanced)
Just making a note to remind me as its rare to hear how different each one sounds so clearly

Started with Zenith II - profoundly smooth, buttery clean mids and highs, superbly balanced low end. Very 'comforting' listen, Such a unequally sounding warm yet detailed & clear sound

going straight to Splash of Gold >
More V shaped - Low end sharper, quicker transients, hit and decay - Highs clearer and cleaner with more clarity and noticeably better separation and positioning whilst also going out further with the transients. Room reverb more easily heard
Mids seem more integrated with the highs.
Recently they showed some profound - [maybe the best of ALL the IMRs] ability to show separation and layering of instruments, especially with particularly 'pure' sounding mastered albums. Surprisingly excellent - A real Treble head TOTL sound (just coming off a 500 hour burn in)

going to ACE >
Lows, Mids & Highs all noticeably separate yet equally balanced in weight of presentation. Weirdly over all slightly more mid centric sound and yet more natural sounding, more true to life!! (just needs a bit of 'edge' taken off to be spot on)
The separation and imaging is exceptionally equal across all frequencies. Its a pleasure to hear the CNT and planar each doing their own thing working so well together.

Going back to the start with Zenith II - a completely different sound than the ACE - seems like instruments and vocals are presented so differently, spatially, width and depth and the sound itself - its like going to a completely different album. Doesn't sound like the same song at all o_0

Its such a treat to have such completely different sounding IEM's all offering something very different from each other yet all equally excellent :)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #10,419 of 17,892
The seperation that the Zenith 2 offers is really good. To my ears it seems that the TSMR Sands has an even better instrument seperation. The Sands also has a more analytical sound with a neutral bass and a treble that doesn't extend in to the highest frequencies. That makes the Sands both an upgrade and a sidegrade to the Splash of Gold.

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #10,420 of 17,892
Just noticed the Ace page on IMR site now says "500+ hrs run in time required to sound at its optimum."

Based on the PDF we have from @jon parker, that wasn't there with the original description.

500 whole hours! I know some have spoken about getting the Ace right at a high number, like 600. Don't recall other IMR units specifying this many.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #10,421 of 17,892
Just noticed the Ace page on IMR site now says "500+ hrs run in time required to sound at its optimum."

Based on the PDF we have from @jon parker, that wasn't there with the original description.

500 whole hours! I know some have spoken about getting the Ace right at a high number, like 600. Don't recall other IMR units specifying this many.
Avalon required more than 500 hours of burn in. Dm as well if I'm not wrong

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #10,422 of 17,892
Avalon required more than 500 hours of burn in. Dm as well if I'm not wrong
Mine settled really quickly. I gave it 200+ hours but there wasn't any change beyond the first 24 hours.

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #10,423 of 17,892
Mine settled really quickly. I gave it 200+ hours but there wasn't any change beyond the first 24 hours.
My ace settled after 200 hours circa. Didn't listen to them a lot lastly, because Astra came back at home, and they are so damn good. I made to listen to them to other three audiophiles around the world and they all felt in love with them.
On Avalon as I said mids popped up after 600 hours. From our imr community came out a few cases with dm opened up after 500-600 hours too

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #10,424 of 17,892

Mine had the final big change at 700+. I think Jon Parker said so too.

Nov 28, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #10,425 of 17,892
Mine had the final big change at 700+. I think Jon Parker said so too.
For me is was over the 600 hour mark that they finally settled down
I also suspected that the new CNT/ADLC driver would take much longer to settle in. Just finished 500 hours burn in with the SOG and the change is profound from OOTB :)
Makes sense considering it made from material that is essentially as hard as a diamond !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back