• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #5,596 of 17,914
Effff it, i went down the rabbit hole, Avalon purchased
You will not be disappointed. The Avalons are terrific and, of the five IMRs I own (Elysium, Semper, BC, Ozar being the other 4), I would say they are the best, which is no small feat given the quality of the other 4. I’ve said it many times before and I say it again - Bob is doing some of the most interesting work in this sector and he’s a really great guy who cares deeply about his customers, as many here will attest.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #5,597 of 17,914
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #5,598 of 17,914
I appreciate the collective wisdom of the IMR group, so I'm requesting some tip feedback for my Elans.

Despite their shortcomings (not holding their shape) the Azla Exelastec work really well with my ears. I'm thinking of ordering another set, but welcome other suggestions. The reason I like the Xelastec is they provide the best seal for my ears (ever, in fact). Spinfit CP360 didn't quite match.

Specifically wondering about seal, comfort, and sound performance of:
  • Azla Crystal
  • Azla SednaEarfit
  • JVC Spiral Dot
Tips that gently augment the lower end are OK, but don't want more treble.

Vielen Dank in advance, my friends.
Comply works a treat for me.

Mar 25, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #5,600 of 17,914
I tried SOG with TRN BT20S and connecter fit weel.
But it doesn't sound so nice... Too harsh and maybe not enough power.
So next step TRN BT20S PRO , but unfortunatly connector is not recessed. So I can't connect it on SOG.
It's too bad.

Mar 25, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #5,601 of 17,914
I tried SOG with TRN BT20S and connecter fit weel.
But it doesn't sound so nice... Too harsh and maybe not enough power.
So next step TRN BT20S PRO , but unfortunatly connector is not recessed. So I can't connect it on SOG.
It's too bad.
You can try the UTWS5 MMCX with OE’s 2-pin adapters!

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #5,603 of 17,914
Increasingly tempted to upgrade to the Dark Matter instead of the Zenith II. Does anyone have any impressions on how it sounds (bass-quality compared to the Solaris 2020, staging/imaging, mid-range resolution and how resolving it is)? Any input would be deeply appreciated!
This is going to be VERY hard to judge until Zenith 'll is released due to the fact each one has a different advantage over the other!
The advantage Dark Matter has over Zenith l is 2 separate dynamic drivers & BC which is "probably" going to bring better detail & texturing?
On the other hand Zenith 'll has one large 14.2mm Dynamic Driver in comparison to DM's 10mm Dynamic Driver meaning Zenith ll might have the edge when it comes to bass depth,punch and dynamic's?
Anything else is just speculation until Zenith ll is released?
One aspect of the Zenith ll that could have a great advantage over the DM is treble response, extension & detail due to a dedicated piezoelectric driver? If implemented properly which which can be very hard these drivers can exhibit a phenomenal high-end but, if implemented poorly can be harsh & biting which has the potential to mess the whole presentation up! But to be fair to Bob, other than the 4-5k peak issue in the original Zenith he has been quite successful in his implementation of his piezoelectric ceramic drivers and I'm 99.9% sure the Zenith ll will be his best to date?
But to answer your question in short? Knowone will know until Zenith ll is released?
P.s you can also email Bob for some impression's? His replies to these sort of question's regarding sound comparisons are normally pretty spot on..

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #5,604 of 17,914
This is going to be VERY hard to judge until Zenith 'll is released due to the fact each one has a different advantage over the other!
The advantage Dark Matter has over Zenith l is 2 separate dynamic drivers & BC which is "probably" going to bring better detail & texturing?
On the other hand Zenith 'll has one large 14.2mm Dynamic Driver in comparison to DM's 10mm Dynamic Driver meaning Zenith ll might have the edge when it comes to bass depth,punch and dynamic's?
Anything else is just speculation until Zenith ll is released?
One aspect of the Zenith ll that could have a great advantage over the DM is treble response, extension & detail due to a dedicated piezoelectric driver? If implemented properly which which can be very hard these drivers can exhibit a phenomenal high-end but, if implemented poorly can be harsh & biting which has the potential to mess the whole presentation up! But to be fair to Bob, other than the 4-5k peak issue in the original Zenith he has been quite successful in his implementation of his piezoelectric ceramic drivers and I'm 99.9% sure the Zenith ll will be his best to date?
But to answer your question in short? Knowone will know until Zenith ll is released?
P.s you can also email Bob for some impression's? His replies to these sort of question's regarding sound comparisons are normally pretty spot on..
Oh my mistake! I meant the dark matter in comparison to the Solaris 2020! I should've specified clearly, my bad! But I appreciate your thorough response! 😊

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #5,605 of 17,914
Oh my mistake! I meant the dark matter in comparison to the Solaris 2020! I should've specified clearly, my bad! But I appreciate your thorough response! 😊
No worries not a problem👍
As far as CA Solaris v DM is concerned i unfortunately i have not personally heard either so i would just be giving you second hand impression's which you can probably get yourself!
The one thing i do know however is? Both are fantastic monitors that anyone would be happy to own. Sorry i couldn't be of more help but i always feel uncomfortable giving advice on monitors i have not personally heard so always stay away from it👍

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #5,606 of 17,914
No worries not a problem👍
As far as CA Solaris v DM is concerned i unfortunately i have not personally heard either so i would just be giving you second hand impression's which you can probably get yourself!
The one thing i do know however is? Both are fantastic monitors that anyone would be happy to own. Sorry i couldn't be of more help but i always feel uncomfortable giving advice on monitors i have not personally heard so always stay away from it👍
No worries 🙂. I ended up paying the difference, and my dark matters are on the way! I'll post my first impressions and initial comparisons with my Elans 😊

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #5,607 of 17,914
No worries 🙂. I ended up paying the difference, and my dark matters are on the way! I'll post my first impressions and initial comparisons with my Elans 😊
Good man Congrat's👍
And yeah I would be VERY interested in your comparison between DM & Elan.

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #5,609 of 17,914
Yes, I had already the Ozar, I actually laughed so hard when I got the package cause I thought "oh man, I'm half drunk and getting little gifts, this was such a good day"

A couple of days ago I told Bob "hey, so just wanted to ask you about sor" and he was like "you already have Ozar, you ainr missing much" now I see why he did it hehehehe
Alright, so now can you tell how different the SOR is than Ozar? And which one is better in terms of resolution?

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #5,610 of 17,914
Alright, so now can you tell how different the SOR is than Ozar? And which one is better in terms of resolution?
Don’t know if its a burn in thing, ozar sounds better, more clear, more open. SOR its really alike but there’s just something about the bass that keeps me scratching my head, its better but not clearer. It’s bigger, more punchy, mids are the same, soundstage as i just said SOR feels a bit more intimate, not in a bad way, just more enclosed.

Though mids and treble are on par, ozar having a bit more resolution in upper mids, but not like night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back