IMR Acoustics EDP (Every Day Planar)
Aug 22, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #481 of 698
It has been a few weeks since I have listened to my EDP... been listening to the Rah, PB1, and Halcyon. Today I had to spend several hours doing yard work and thought to myself what better task to listen to the Every Day Planar than an every day task like yard work. The EDP are not the most detailed, nor the most rumbling IEMs I have. But, wow, they are just so easy to listen to, and to my ears so well balanced, that I’m asking myself why’d I wait so long to put them back in my ears...
Agree with that. They are effortless to listen to ... No fatigue whatsoever.

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #482 of 698
I'm very fortunate to have several sets of very good IEMs, yet I want the the OPUS, I want the Semper and I'll likely want whatever is going to be announced next. But I have come, to the conclusion that if for some reason I could only have one set of IEMS, it would be the EDPs that are in my ears right now. They've now got about 160hours on them and they are superb. They dont reach down as low as the RAHs or reach up to sparkle as high as my Fusions and M3s. But they've got beautiful tone, texture and deep rumble with lots of detail and crispness and are incredibly balanced with no congestion or sibilance. I could listen to these things all day with no fatigue. All that in a small, travel friendly comfortable package. They are so good in so many ways and have given me everything that I was hoping for in them and more. Thank you, Bob
I agree with all of that except Fusion, that I didn't hear. Thanks for this. This is my more "efficient" way to answer another question:
I am considering a stock B R2 Red or a second-hand EDP (if lucky) as my next IEM, and also, as an initiation to the IMR sound.
My music genres are rock, prog rock, fusion jazz, and some Pop and R&B and acoustic jazz once in a while
I am not a bass-head but like my music full, and looking for a transparent midrange and great dynamics.
Actually, I would love to have an improved version of the planar Tin P1, which clarity and transparency I love, but missing the bass!!
Now, it would be awesome if you could give a comparison of both EDP and Red 2 in regards to the H40, and that would give me an idea of what to expect from both contenders.
I am also intrigued by the RAH, but you have mentioned the fit is not great, and also worried by the semi-open design (sound leakage)
To make things harder for me, there is a rumour of a new Tin Hifi model, the P2, supposedly being an upgrade to the P1o.
Anyhow, I do much appreciate your comments, which might help me decide what model to get
I'm going to say that, while I like EDP, and it's currently the best planar IEM in my collection, but unless I'm relaxing and don't mind falling asleep, - I would take R2 Red over it every time.
I was impressed finally to see a good implementation of planar IEM but must say that Be DD in R2 Red does an awesome job reproducing mids, and I agree with BGGAR and many other reviewers, that there is something about that Beryllium DDs that makes tonality so delicious. I have to assume that Bob made the best attempt to make the famous IMR house sound in EDP, but alas, not quite there. Red has excellent bass, warm, inviting mids and very airy, extended treble, helping that famous massive soundstage.
Sadly, EDP doesn't have it.
Jose, if you love ISN H40 sound, then R2 is an upgrade, while EDP more like a mellow sound presentation side-grade.
Red does better everything H40 is famous for: Bass, Stage, thick mids, resolution...
EDP has similarity to Cupid in the way it's reproducing treble and mids, but it's L shaped rather than Cupids big V. Unlike Cupid, however, EDP has recessed treble. I found Jazz sounding very good on Cupid, while EDP IMHO lacks resolution @ the top. (Note, I moded my Cupid to reduce the bass)
Fit is absolutely a safe bet for EDPs concha style shell, but Red is smaller and at least my ears it also fits acceptably well with Xelastec and SpinFit.
As I promised, I've replied @ EDP thread, as I think, that good folks here may have more experience, and you can get different opinions. Let's have a conversation here...

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #484 of 698
EDP has similarity to Cupid in the way it's reproducing treble and mids, but it's L shaped rather than Cupids big V. Unlike Cupid, however, EDP has recessed treble. I found Jazz sounding very good on Cupid, while EDP IMHO lacks resolution @ the top.

Hopefully PB2 should address the highs.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #485 of 698
Dual 9mm Titanium DD
10mm Planar
Dual Electrostat
If it is a new design, may as well redesign it I guess.
Hopefully PB2 should address the highs.
If this is PB2, that has 2DD, Planar & 2EST, - then sure treble should be great, Rah has no problem, and all it took is 1 Piezo driver to fix planar top roll-off. 2EST is an overkill, if you already have Planar, as planar already does lower treble with excellence. IMHO 1EST should suffice.
I'm actually impressed by Red, that, without planar, it's not far behind Rah in pretty much everything, and that's in much smaller better fitting housing. EDP has met expectations, didn't exceed them.
All of that said, I nonetheless couldn't resist and have ordered Semper. I hope that the new shell fits better than Rah.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #486 of 698
If this is PB2, that has 2DD, Planar & 2EST, - then sure treble should be great, Rah has no problem, and all it took is 1 Piezo driver to fix planar top roll-off. 2EST is an overkill, if you already have Planar, as planar already does lower treble with excellence. IMHO 1EST should suffice.
I'm actually impressed by Red, that, without planar, it's not far behind Rah in pretty much everything, and that's in much smaller better fitting housing. EDP has met expectations, didn't exceed them.
All of that said, I nonetheless couldn't resist and have ordered Semper. I hope that the new shell fits better than Rah.

That was actually me being me saying the new chassis with red surround and no rear port could have all those drivers thrown in because reasons lol. It’s neither a model that exists in form, colour and driver config.

The PB2 is as it turned out 1x10mm titanium DD, 1x12mm planar from PB1 and not the 10mm planar from Rah & EDP, 1x dual electrostat. So basically the Semper set up with smaller titanium DD rather than the 15mm beryllium DD.

The PB1 really smooths out the Rah.
The EDP is like half Rah and half Zenith.
The Opus Mia is like the ultimate Aten, maybe Red but I don’t own that or have heard it.
Semper is on order too, the Rah was a terrible fit for me but the PB1 fits like a glove and is my best fitting pair, I love the smaller size of Zenith and Aten but they fit too good and go deep causing me occlusion as I’m susceptible to that. Opus Mia is like a half way between Aten and PB1 for fit, slightly shorter which I need but my ear shape causes a slight push out from where I would call my ideal place but that’s the joy of universal, EDP I can just throw in anytime.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #487 of 698
That was actually me being me saying the new chassis with red surround and no rear port could have all those drivers thrown in because reasons lol. It’s neither a model that exists in form, colour and driver config.

The PB2 is as it turned out 1x10mm titanium DD, 1x12mm planar from PB1 and not the 10mm planar from Rah & EDP, 1x dual electrostat. So basically the Semper set up with smaller titanium DD rather than the 15mm beryllium DD.

The Opus Mia is like the ultimate Aten, maybe Red but I don’t own that or have heard it.
Semper is on order too, the Rah was a terrible fit for me but the PB1 fits like a glove and is my best fitting pair, I love the smaller size of Zenith and Aten but they fit too good and go deep causing me occlusion as I’m susceptible to that. Opus Mia is like a half way between Aten and PB1 for fit, slightly shorter which I need but my ear shape causes a slight push out from where I would call my ideal place but that’s the joy of universal, EDP I can just throw in anytime.

Opus mia is like an improved R2 Red. I must also say that €126 for R2 Red (B-Stock) it's a theft for its price. A great value!

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #488 of 698

Always thought the pb1 shares exactly the same shell with Rah just different colors. Then I was shocked hearing you say the Rah has a terrible fit but pb1 fits like a glove, until I hold both in my hands comparing them side by side and realized that pb1’s shell is actually smaller LOL

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #489 of 698
Always thought the pb1 shares exactly the same shell with Rah just different colors. Then I was shocked hearing you say the Rah has a terrible fit but pb1 fits like a glove, until I hold both in my hands comparing them side by side and realized that pb1’s shell is actually smaller LOL

I've never had them both simultaneously and were 6 months apart but i thought that the PB1 was larger especially as it has a larger planar. The Rah didn't know when to stop inserting which caused me pain in my ears and the PB1 seems to have a stopping point of it wont insert more which i had assumed was a larger diameter.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #490 of 698
I've never had them both simultaneously and were 6 months apart but i thought that the PB1 was larger especially as it has a larger planar. The Rah didn't know when to stop inserting which caused me pain in my ears and the PB1 seems to have a stopping point of it wont insert more which i had assumed was a larger diameter.

Now after some closer examinations I’m convinced they are indeed the same shell. I thought pb1 was a tiny bit smaller earlier but that looks rather my misperception due to different colors. See the pictures I took. Not sure why you experienced differences in fitting- it could be due to different tips used, or maybe slight difference in nozzle angle?
E370CBD3-18D3-4EE5-9AD6-DA5673EC4327.jpeg
FFB71636-E3A3-40FA-98DB-D67262E14218.jpeg
09AF1EF0-D442-4EFB-A75A-C6708F2D044E.jpeg
B63E2655-A791-4672-81C9-FE7BB0323957.jpeg

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #491 of 698
Now after some closer examinations I’m convinced they are indeed the same shell. I thought pb1 was a tiny bit smaller earlier but that looks rather my misperception due to different colors. See the pictures I took. Not sure why you experienced differences in fitting- it could be due to different tips used, or maybe slight difference in nozzle angle?
Your comparison or rather your comments about the similarities in the shells of PB1 and RAH are interesting if not validating. But you've peaked my interest with the insertion of the Opus image. How does it fit in the ear relative to the other two? Is it more flush fitting than Rah/ PB1?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #492 of 698
Your comparison or rather your comments about the similarities in the shells of PB1 and RAH are interesting if not validating. But you've peaked my interest with the insertion of the Opus image. How does it fit in the ear relative to the other two? Is it more flush fitting than Rah/ PB1?

Yes, Opus Mia definitely Fits more flush to the ears than the other two. When I put opus in one ear and Rah in the other at the same time, the small vent cap of the opus probably has similar intrusion compared to the Rah body, but the main body of Opus is thinner and fits more flush to the ears, and for that reason the fit also feels noticeably more secure than that of the Rah/pb1.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #493 of 698
Finally received my EDP. I'll be starting the burn in process tonight.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #494 of 698
Finally received my EDP. I'll be starting the burn in process tonight.
Wow. That's unbelievable. I hope you'll find that they were worth the wait and I'm not trying to mitigate the frustration in the delays. I'd be beyond disappointed, but they really are very good. Be patient with them. Mine came fully alive at 150 hours and now I'm very happy to have them in my collection. I've been using them more than anything else for the last couple of weeks, nice detail and very easy to listen to.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #495 of 698
Wow. That's unbelievable. I hope you'll find that they were worth the wait and I'm not trying to mitigate the frustration in the delays. I'd be beyond disappointed, but they really are very good. Be patient with them. Mine came fully alive at 150 hours and now I'm very happy to have them in my collection. I've been using them more than anything else for the last couple of weeks, nice detail and very easy to listen to.
Yeah. I was thinking over the weekend that i'd just send them right back to Bob and buy something else because of the frustration but after reading more of peoples impressions I'll give them a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back