Improving my system
Oct 25, 2005 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dthiep

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was looking through other threads but could not find the answer to my problem I have:

sourse: laptop - Echo indigo, sony D-303
Amp: go-vibe
headphone: hd 565 (I think the sound quality is close to hd580), shure e2c

It has been while since I last time I bought anything new and now I am looking for some changes. What would you recommend me to do? new amp, new source, or new headphone first?
I listen to mostly rock and classical any my budget is around $200 (can be stretched a little).

Right now I am looking at:
DT 770/80
K 501
Gilmore Lite
Rockhopper M3
M-AUDIO Audiophile USB

Btw, I ve tried Grado 60 before. but it wasnt my cup of tea.

Thank you for your help.

Oct 25, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 4
I would suggest a new headphone. You can always buy a new amp later, when you know what's missing in the sound. I've heard many great stories bout the beyerdynamic. Take a search on that one. The akg 501 needs a good amp to shine (from what I've heard), so that is a no-go, unless your budget is a bit higher.

Oct 26, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Changes - would be good to know what kind should be achieved here. The current setup looks fairly workable already. The HD565 was the top model of the old HD5x5 line, and indeed regarded to be fairly close to the HD580 overall, but easier to drive. Its main weakness, apart from connection problems, apparently were very slightly metallic highs, along with the bass being a touch on the weak side. I'd take a look at the HD600, you should be able to get one from the for sale forum in good condition. (For a fun project, you could wait for HD580/600 drivers to come up - they are mechanically interchangeable with the old HD5x5 ones. --> Link. The earpads are the same too btw.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back