Improvement over GR07
Jul 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Spaz115

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am currently using some Vsonic GR07's and I am loving them, however as these IEMs introduced me to the audiophile world I am wondering about getting something that gives me even better sound quality. Seeing all the positive reviews of the GR07, I'm wondering how high up in terms of price would I have to go to get something that is, quite simply, better than the GR07 in terms of SQ? (Talking about IEMs only, of course). I've been looking at the EX-MDR-7550, and they do look quite interesting as the EX1000's younger brother, but I have no means of trying them out. I'd say my budget is under $250 usd. 

I'm also wondering if it would be easier for me to get an amplifier and/or a DAC as the means of improving the SQ? I've tried out the E17 briefly today (~15 mins) and although I don't feel a massive difference, it does feel like the mids do come out more, without touching any of the bass or balance settings. However it really doesn't feel like a massive improvement for ~150USD.. should I gradually expect myself to realize the difference the amp makes? What I mean by that is, if I use the amp for a longer period of time I would begin to appreciate the difference it makes, and once I go back to without an amp I would distinctly feel the differences. I also have some Grado SR80's, and I'm wondering would an amp+dac be a bigger difference to these headphones? 

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 23
I also have the GR07 MK2 and love them!

For under $250, any IEM's you find may be more of a sidegrade than an upgrade. I don't think the MDR-EX7550 will be much of an improvement at all. Is there anything specific you would like to hear more of in your music such as more microdetails, or a wider soundstage?

There have been reports of the GR07 appreciating a better source, but it should be relatively easy to drive, meaning an amp isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. The amp would definitely improve your SR80's though.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 23
By source we mean your player. (your music device)

I use Cowon players for my GRO7 MK2, something like S9, J3, D2+, C2 could be something to look into. There's a 'big' difference between the Cowon players and my ipods / Sansa Clip+ to my ears. Depending what you're using now this could make a lot of difference. All I can recommend as a side step purchase would be TF10 which offer better separation, placement and senitivity due to the lower 32ohm impedance. Bassically you have a nice set of IEM's already, possibly another earphone purchase might not be the answer to better sound rather than a better source.

(check my profile for sources I own)

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 23
Most IEMs you try will be a side-grade. The only one that I've tried and find to be clearly better than the GR07 is the Aurisonics ASG-1 ver 1.2, but that's only after boosting the treble. Without the boost, they're nearly equal. The ASG-1 has more bass while keeping the same great texture, a huge soundstage that destroys the GR07 in depth and height (equal in width), and just as good instrumental and vocal timbre (the ASG-1 has more forward mids). The difference gets bigger when you EQ up the treble presence on the ASG-1.

Another option may be the EX1000.

Nothing does a snare drum or cymbal like the GR07 though.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 23
Hm...going to go for a FiiO E10 for my DAC, Amp combo then. Just another question.. how does the Cowon player have better sound quality than say, some iPods? Also, how is the user interface on the cowon? 

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
Hm...going to go for a FiiO E10 for my DAC, Amp combo then. Just another question.. how does the Cowon player have better sound quality than say, some iPods? Also, how is the user interface on the cowon? 

Good choice 
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

A DAC would also be considered a source. Like different cars have better or worse engines, Digital audio players have different quality DAC's and amps.

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 23

Better DAC for one, higher powered headphone out that can drive your 50ohm GRO7 easier. Detailing, clarity, sound stage, timbre, plus you have Mach3bass, BBE+, Viva settings, true 3D surround, stereo enhance, the list goes on. Unlike an ipod - Cowon players have REAL eq systems which are fully customizable. To be honest my GRO7 sound like an FM radio through my older ipods, they're main stream focused players. If you want to get serious about sound you need to upgrade your weakest link, always start there. That for you would be your player. User interface on Cowon players is their weak point, though I have no problem running around on my S9 and D2+. I think the talk of that is a little far fetched. "internet blah blah"

Anyway, I have an E10, it's ok I guess for GRO7, the problem is I find it colours the sound slightly.

It's really up to you - but when upgrading always work on the weakest part of your set up.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 23
Hm, yeah, I'm using an aging iPod nano atm. so probably looking to upgrade that soon. Other than Cowon, what other "mainstream" manufacturers make music players that are entirely focused on the SQ of the player...?

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 23
Hm, yeah, I'm using an aging iPod nano atm. so probably looking to upgrade that soon. Other than Cowon, what other "mainstream" manufacturers make music players that are entirely focused on the SQ of the player...?

Sony, Samsung and Sansa also make decent sounding players though you won't find the same enhancements, Cowon really excel in this area. There's actually a pretty good deal going on ebay atm for C2 (4GB). Use a 32GB Micro SD, you have a very nice 36GB player for $111.00 US. Read up on some reviews regarding Cowon C2.

But again, I'm not telling you to buy one, (although I think the difference would be considerably more than noticeable) merely offering you options my friend.

Most of the research must be done by you.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Nothing does a snare drum or cymbal like the GR07 though.

We talked about this in a PM thread once.  Since then I traded my TF10s for the GR07 MKIIs.

I can now say that nothing does a cymbal like the GR07 AND the TF10.  I actually think that the TF10 reproduces cymbals a little (just a little) better than the GR07. 

Both IEMs are great, yet different.  I'm going to buy another set of TF10s as I don't think I can live without them.  The UEs and the Vsonics make for a great one-two punch combination.

I would perhaps chose the TF10s for pure sound, but when you add the cable and fit issues, then the GR07s come out ahead.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

We talked about this in PM thread once.  Since then I traded my TF10s for the GR07s MKIIs.

I can now say that nothing does a cymbal like the GR07 AND the TF10.  I actually think that the TF10 reproduces cymbals a little (just a little) better than the GR07. 

Both IEMs are great, yet different.  I'm going to buy another set of TF10s as I don't think I can live without them.  The UEs and the Vsonics make for a great one-two punch combination.

I would perhaps chose the TF10s for pure sound, but when you add the cable and fit issues, then the GR07s come out ahead.

Nice. I just find the TF10 to be the stereotype for the BA sound, which I don't find natural at all. It's a good performer though, I'll give it that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back