Improved sound for jazz pianist for small gigs - discrete headphones / earphones?
Aug 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jt7757

New Head-Fier
Hello there, first time post. I play piano in small jazz bands. Normally just used a small stereo PA.

I have always found that when I practise at home the piano sounds amazing through my Grado (or indeed any other) headphones.

When live my Yamaha Stagepas 300 PA doesn't sound as fresh or clean. So I was wondering, what are the best discrete headphones to let me enjoy the lush sound of my Nord Piano 88 without looking too obtrusive?

I don't want to isolate the sound of the rest of my group, so is there a good skin coloured non-isolating product that can increase my pleasure of playing? Basically when the sound quality is good I can play much better than I do when the sound is bad. I always feel I play better at home with headphones on, and I want to recreate something of that vibe when I'm out doing gigs in restaurants, parties, that type of affair.

If you have any tips for some kind of earphone or headphone please tell me, I'm very keen to learn.

Thank you! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back