Improve loudness on Samson SR950
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

adikumar2010

New Head-Fier
I got Samson SR950 they sound fine , no issue with quality but the problem is the output is low from my PC motherboard. How can I make them sound louder? I don't want to spend more then $50-60. I just listen to music and play games I am not into any studio stuff.

I saw some amps but they are tiny portable rechargeable but I will be using headphones on my desk so I can get proper amp with wall adapter. I assume full size amp will be better then those small portable ones and you don't have to recharge them.

I don't know what will be better an Amp or PCIe sound card or DAC/amp combo or something else.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 9
First thing to check is that you don't have volume limiting on in your PC setup. Check that your game / player volume is near 100% too. The SR950 is not very efficient measuring just 96dB / mW. This makes them tricky to drive out of a PC.

Ideally you'll want an external DAC and amp. Does your PC have an optical out in the back? Right now the sweet spot is ~$200 for an external amp and DAC. If you plan on needing a mic input too for gaming you may want to look at external gaming amps like the Schiit HEL. It has a DAC and amp plus a mic input.

https://www.schiit.com/products/hel

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 9
First thing to check is that you don't have volume limiting on in your PC setup. Check that your game / player volume is near 100% too. The SR950 is not very efficient measuring just 96dB / mW. This makes them tricky to drive out of a PC.

Ideally you'll want an external DAC and amp. Does your PC have an optical out in the back?

Yes volume is at max, PC has optical out but I have it connected to 5.1 JBL Soundbar.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 9
I got Samson SR950 they sound fine , no issue with quality but the problem is the output is low from my PC motherboard. How can I make them sound louder? I don't want to spend more then $50-60. I just listen to music and play games I am not into any studio stuff.
I saw some amps but they are tiny portable rechargeable but I will be using headphones on my desk so I can get proper amp with wall adapter. I assume full size amp will be better then those small portable ones and you don't have to recharge them.
I don't know what will be better an Amp or PCIe sound card or DAC/amp combo or something else.
$30
https://hifimediy.com/product/sabre-dac-uae23/

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Probably the Fiio or M-Audio. The others all have features (multiple channels, mic mixing) you probably don't need.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Probably the Fiio or M-Audio. The others all have features (multiple channels, mic mixing) you probably don't need.

But I think battery one will be painful to keep it recharged all the time as I am only planning to use them on my desk with PC. Also I am assuming that DC 12V wall adapter powered ones will be more powerful then those with internal tiny battery,

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 9
But I think battery one will be painful to keep it recharged all the time as I am only planning to use them on my desk with PC. Also I am assuming that DC 12V wall adapter powered ones will be more powerful then those with internal tiny battery,

I don't know what import costs would be, or how active people in India are on the forums here, but maybe you could get something like a used Schiit Magni or Fulla in budget?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 9
I can't find any Schiit in India

I found 2 more amp's in my budget
8) Behringer HA400
9) Mackie HM-4

I am not sure if any of the above listed nine models is better then Behringer MA400

Also I got Behringer MA400 delivered today, It increased the volume by 20% but it's not ultra loud, sound quality is okay. If I can find some other better option then I can return Behringer MA400 as it has 10 days return policy on amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back