IMPRESSIONS THREAD AND REVIEW, with pics: 2016 SE Michigan Head-fi.org Fall Meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #16 of 22
I already one up the flashlight guys by building handheld lasers. Lol

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 22
 It was my first time so I didn't really know what to expect but I had a blast at the meet last week. It was really cool getting a chance to listen to some ZMF cans and being able to talk to  @zach915m. That was the first time I have listened to any of the ZMF line, the Atticus and Eikon were quite impressive. I really liked the attention to build quality, everything was just so solid from the thick rods and gimbals to the headband and then those wood cups just look amazing. After listening to both the Atticus and Eikon through the ifi amp connected to the metrum dac I found that I prefered the Atticus. It was not a huge difference between the two but it is not so small that you have to concentrate to notice. The biggest difference was the upper mids and treble, the Atticus just seemed a little bit calmer than the Eikon. The Eikon had more detail in the high end but I like my treble just a little recessed. The Eikon had more sub bass rumble compared to the Atticus through the iFi/Metrum setup. I also had the chance to listen to the Eikon through the other setup Zach brought I forgot the name of the amps(big tube amps) but they were connected to Yggdrasil, this setup seemed to reduce the subbass quantity while increasing the quality. 
The meet had tons of different amp/dac setups, but the schiit seemed to be the single most common brand. Pete(forgot username) had an emotiva mini-x 100 that I got a chance to plug my Hifiman HE4 into, now I understand why so many people talk so highly of the little speaker amp. It just seemed to have a fuller sound, especially the lower mids, than through my nuforce amp. Another member there had a set of HE560 so obviously I had to a/b them with the he4 
bigsmile_face.gif
. The build quality of the HE560 was miles ahead of the HE350 which was one of my big worries after buying the 350 a month earlier. They feel like totally different in almost every way possible, the he560 has a premium feel to it that the 350 is just nowhere near. I listened to the he560 through the emotiva mini-x100, the difference was noticeable between the 4 and 560 but was hard to pinpoint what made them different. The 560 had "cleaner" treble i guess is how I would put it, there is less emphasis than the he4, but the detail is still there.

Next time I am going to get there earlier because there is just so many things to try and so many people to talk to. 
Great meet, big thanks to all that helped plan the meet

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 22
 It was my first time so I didn't really know what to expect but I had a blast at the meet last week. It was really cool getting a chance to listen to some ZMF cans and being able to talk to  @zach915m
. That was the first time I have listened to any of the ZMF line, the Atticus and Eikon were quite impressive. I really liked the attention to build quality, everything was just so solid from the thick rods and gimbals to the headband and then those wood cups just look amazing. After listening to both the Atticus and Eikon through the ifi amp connected to the metrum dac I found that I prefered the Atticus. It was not a huge difference between the two but it is not so small that you have to concentrate to notice. The biggest difference was the upper mids and treble, the Atticus just seemed a little bit calmer than the Eikon. The Eikon had more detail in the high end but I like my treble just a little recessed. The Eikon had more sub bass rumble compared to the Atticus through the iFi/Metrum setup. I also had the chance to listen to the Eikon through the other setup Zach brought I forgot the name of the amps(big tube amps) but they were connected to Yggdrasil, this setup seemed to reduce the subbass quantity while increasing the quality. 
The meet had tons of different amp/dac setups, but the schiit seemed to be the single most common brand. Pete(forgot username) had an emotiva mini-x 100 that I got a chance to plug my Hifiman HE4 into, now I understand why so many people talk so highly of the little speaker amp. It just seemed to have a fuller sound, especially the lower mids, than through my nuforce amp. Another member there had a set of HE560 so obviously I had to a/b them with the he4 :bigsmile_face: . The build quality of the HE560 was miles ahead of the HE350 which was one of my big worries after buying the 350 a month earlier. They feel like totally different in almost every way possible, the he560 has a premium feel to it that the 350 is just nowhere near. I listened to the he560 through the emotiva mini-x100, the difference was noticeable between the 4 and 560 but was hard to pinpoint what made them different. The 560 had "cleaner" treble i guess is how I would put it, there is less emphasis than the he4, but the detail is still there.

Next time I am going to get there earlier because there is just so many things to try and so many people to talk to. 
Great meet, big thanks to all that helped plan the meet

That mini X is pretty nice! It's my favorite amp so far.

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 22
I wish I had impressions to offer but if I'm honest I didn't do any listening at the meet. I spent the entire time talking with everyone about music, gear, and interests outside of the world of Head-Fi. I do want to thank John for organizing the meet because I had a lot of fun seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones.

Early in the day.

My favorite album of 2016 comes in vinyl!?

Does this make me an official Detroit-er?

The I-75 burger from the Old Detroit Burger Bar. Challenge accepted.

Humble in victory.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the next meet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back