Impressions on the SACDmods Denon 2910
Mar 8, 2006 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
I gave Matt Anker my Denon 2910 to mod at the meet. He is a very nice fellow and is eager to work with you. He does not talk above your level of understanding nor does he insult you by shortchanging you on information. I can do some of this stuff and some I can't. I understand the basic operating premmis on most everything but sometimes get overwhelmed by the details. However Matt will make it simple and understandable for you.

I was able to visit "SACD mods International LLC. INC.". It was the No.2 site in Columbus, Ohio on seventeen sprawling acres of land with more than nineteen buildings and wharehouses. He has his own Gymnasium and football field for his employees. His personal office is small and contains a bed cause he works such long hours he does not have time to go home. His whole office building smells like pizza.

All in all he did a splendid job which was very craftsman like, being neatly done. The modifications worked very well and I was pleased that he attended to me personally as opposed to one of his many hundreds of talented staff.

Now onto my initial impressions. It was not what I had built myself up to hopeing it could be but was way better than what I feared it would turn out as. That says a lot, don't it? Bottom line is that, indeed it does improve over the stock sound by a very good margine. Personally I feel that the mods put the player at the threshold enterance into the "highend" player room. Now onto nit picking. The sound, IMHO, seems a little cold and dry, more solid stateish in nature. However the pratt is right on. Overall timeing seemed excellent. Detail is very clear and abundant. All this over the stock configuration and parts. Warmth and coziness are lacking. There is no sence into going to any greater detail here as you will understand by the following paragraph.

BUT! This should all be a moit point. As expressed in Matt's parting litureature, there is a break-in time. Yes indeed there is. We have seen countless posts here with equiptment, where Black Gate caps were installed and needed up to 500 hours breakin time. With the SACDmods modification, I had a number of 1000uf BlackGates installed in the power supply along with the other items, LC03 clock, Zapfilter 2nd generation w/dedicated powersupply, 750 CFM Holly carborator, twin turbo's, and an adheasive backed, velvet miniture rendition, of the "Bulldogs playing pool" applied to the top of the inside cover for sound deadining. So breakin is going to be needed, and plenty of it. As you can see, I spared no expense with optional parts.

Yes, I am concerned about the lack of warmth. Yes, I do think that will clear up with breakin as you do usually have that. Do the mods make this player the ultimate player? No, not by a long shot. But it does make the Denon a surpriseing and very worthy contender. There is still too much work, time and money to transform this player into being the best. And frankly, not worth it. But it is more than worth the mods given, and you will be pleased with the results.

Bottom line: YES! I would do it again. And yes it is worth it. And a final YES, to having only SACDmods do the work, as they are very great at what they do. Thanks; Matt.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 4
LOL.

Thanks for your impressions. I hope to hear one of Matt's modded players someday.

Has Matt really expanded his operation to include "seventeen sprawling acres of land with more than nineteen buildings and wharehouses. He has his own Gymnasium and football field for his employees." ?

I have always been under the impression that he runs a one-man operation. Was I mistaken?

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 4
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Yeah - nice mods you got there. How's the mileage nowadays, BTW?
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

It was very interesting to se a report from a professional CDP modification. As far as I understand, the SACD mods is a very popular modifier around here and people are very happy with the results. The return of the "warmth" or the disappearing of the cold/dry signature will probably happen with time. Isn't a typical trait of non-burned in equipment(?).

Ever since I listened to the very nice sound of a 15 year old SONY 557ESD, thoroughly modified, I have started to take professional modifying very seriously. I wouldn't mind getting a better defined lowest bass and perhaps more resolution out of my Classé my self.

Pls keep us updated on the developments.

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJayBump
Has Matt really expanded his operation to include "seventeen sprawling acres of land with more than nineteen buildings and wharehouses. He has his own Gymnasium and football field for his employees." ?

I have always been under the impression that he runs a one-man operation. Was I mistaken?

Its really really sad how lost irony is on some people...

DeeJay, though it takes all the wit out of the post, let me explain.

Matt works out of his dorm room at OSU. He was descibing the campus....

wow....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back