impressions on CANADIAN WHISKY?
Nov 16, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 17
crown & 7up is one of my go to drinks when i go out. it's blended so less offensive as the other canadian stuff which is like evan williams. (as in tastes like imitation)

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 17
I once moved into an apartment that had a 15 year old bottle of Canadian Club left in it. It was 15 years since it had been bottled so it would have aged for around 25 years.

Close to the best liquor I've ever consumed.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 17
I recall Al Capone liked it.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 17
Forgive my pedantic question, but is canadian whisky really whisky, or is it whiskey. Scotch was the only whisky without an 'e' as far as I knew; Irish and bourbon being without the 'e'.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 17
I've never cared much for rye whisky, but I suspect that's just because I've never had the good stuff. It's by far the most popular type of whisky in Canada, but it's usually mixed or shot, and the emphasis seems to be on quantity rather than quality for most people. I recently decided that I had to find out what a 'good' rye whisky tastes like, so if anyone can recommend one, I'd like to hear it.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 17
Canadians don't make Whisky, they make Whiskey!
So no impressions at all...

Whisky (from Scotland) on the other hand! Thats great stuff!
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 17
Nov 16, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never cared much for rye whisky, but I suspect that's just because I've never had the good stuff. It's by far the most popular type of whisky in Canada, but it's usually mixed or shot, and the emphasis seems to be on quantity rather than quality for most people. I recently decided that I had to find out what a 'good' rye whisky tastes like, so if anyone can recommend one, I'd like to hear it.

I suggest that Alberta Premium is worth a dram or 4. It's made with 100% rye and has "character" that isn't tamed down. The regular bottle is young a bit acidic and boozy (smells to me like a great uncle at family dinners) but is stupidly cheap bottle only available in Canada. There has been a 25 year old released as well but haven got my mitts on it.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once moved into an apartment that had a 15 year old bottle of Canadian Club left in it. It was 15 years since it had been bottled so it would have aged for around 25 years.

Whisky doesn't "age" after it's left the cask and been bottled like wine does.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 17
Canadian Club is decent. I like it on the rocks. Crown Royal is alright, but not any better than CC. CC 12 year is pretty fine. Alberta Springs Sipping Whisky is a 10 year old rye whiskey that is pretty darn good. I haven't had it since the late 1970s, but I haven't forgotten how good it was.

I like rye whisky, but prefer Scotch. Since, I now live in the US (I'm a Canadian ex-pat), I have discovered the joys of bourbon (when living in Saskatchewan way back when, all we could get was Jim Beam and Old Granddad--I suspect that the selection is slightly better now--I left Canada in 1983).

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back