Impressions of Washington, D.C. March 21,2010 meet
Mar 22, 2010 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

audiorapture

100+ Head-Fier
I had a really cool time; met some wonderful members and learned new stuff about amps and saw and heard a lot of great equipment and music. I tried to take a few pictures, but had help from those with steadier hands, so as soon as I can figure out how to shrink them down, I'll post them this week. Thanks to GreatDane who road with me to and from the meet, and to all who took the time to patiently answer my amp questions.
this might work::.in Photobucket it's under "audioman777"
Image: http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...adFijpg004.jpg

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 24
It was a great meet indeed, with tons of wonderful gear. I was especially happy to get a chance to spend some time with a pair of D7000s and an HE-5, both of which sounded terrific (I may well add an HE-5 to my stable at some point). At the other end of the spectrum, I also heard a pair of AD700s for the first time, courtesy of audiorapture. Great sounding pair of cans, I was very impressed by what you get for the price. Also, although they are said to be pretty easy to drive, proper amplification gave the bass on them a lot more authority - people should try these cans with a powerful hybrid or transformer-coupled tube amp when they get a chance.

Less enjoyable to me were the JVC-DX1000, which I had been looking forward to hearing at some point - they just sounded a little too colored to me to be enjoyable, and the soundstage was a bit artificial to me. It was very wide, but with too little depth to sound fully fleshed out to my ears.

I regret not making time to listen to Colin's pair of smeggy orthos - pretty damn cool-looking things that are assuredly quite unique. I'll have to keep my eye out for these to show up at another meet or CanJam I suppose.

Many thanks to Vlad for organizing and to all the others who came!

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 24
It was a great meet. I wasn't that impressed with the HE-5. They sounded under damped to me. I was very impressed with the Thuderpants. They sound great, look great, and isolate better than anything I've tried.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 24
Son of a bugger???? How did I miss this??? Dam
confused_face.gif
I am on head-fi every day,,,, and my new source is so cool!! Meridian 808.2i Dam
tongue_smile.gif
wow. shoot.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 24
I did the opposite. I showed up Saturday. We only have one car so my wife dropped me off. Since she's deaf and can't hear her phone ring, I ended up having to take a cab home. Good think I don't live too far away.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the opposite. I showed up Saturday. We only have one car so my wife dropped me off. Since she's deaf and can't hear her phone ring, I ended up having to take a cab home. Good think I don't live too far away.

OMG. That is too funny.

I feel better now.

I don't think I could emotionally recover from something like that. I wouldn't even know how to call a taxi, how sad is that?

I am glad you guys had fun!! Looks like a slightly different group of head-fiers. I need to be on the look out for the summer fall meet!

Pictures???

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 24
I had a lot of fun at the meet; the gear sounded impressive and meeting all you guys was great.

AmanGeorge probably had my favorite setup of the bunch... his Sony CD3000's with the strange-looking amp gave my setup of the Luxman-P1/HD-800 a serious run for its money. The STAX of course sounded wonderful.

What impressed me the most was the PeachTree amp/dac/all-in-one with the Denon 5000's. In terms of cost/performance/capability it's hard to beat.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG. That is too funny.

I feel better now.

I don't think I could emotionally recover from something like that. I wouldn't even know how to call a taxi, how sad is that?

I am glad you guys had fun!! Looks like a slightly different group of head-fiers. I need to be on the look out for the summer fall meet!

Pictures???

Fortunately, they had the number for cabs on a rolodex.

Vlad said he was going to sign up for the same room for a meet in 3 months or so. I can also look at my local library which is new and has outlets built in to the tables.

A couple of people were taking pictures.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 24
Thanks to Vlad for making it happen. Also thanks to audiorapture for inviting me along and for giving me his 2 demo CDs. I enjoyed talking to PaulyT and testing his HE5/EF5 combo which I liked.

I finally got to hear the HD800. I really like. I really,really like.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 24
wasnt able to stay long but did go around the tables.

I really digged the Sony cd3000 with AmanGeorge's nice looking amp and vvs_75?'s balanced beta. The cd3000 sound was more to my liking than the balanced HD800 which I tried to compared on the beta22 . Finally heard the koss esp950 & 404's; they were nice out of SRM1 Pro plug but kinda hoped they were similar to Senn HE60.

The yamaha orthos 1000 were surprising hefty, were these modded? I have a yh1 and they dont sound as nice as the 1000. Did smeggy mod these? I may have to ask smeggy to mod my yh1. They were driven nicely out of the peachtree.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 24
Damn, missed it! Wish I had noticed it was happening. Would have liked to come out and meet you guys. Oh well, maybe the next one.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The yamaha orthos 1000 were surprising hefty, were these modded? I have a yh1 and they dont sound as nice as the 1000. Did smeggy mod these? I may have to ask smeggy to mod my yh1. They were driven nicely out of the peachtree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was told the YH-1000 was unmodded. I can't remember who told me, but it wasn't Hirsch, the owner of them.

That is correct the YH-1000 was stock, it's just a better headphone than the YH-1
tongue.gif
I'd like to know what others thought of the yh1000 because it's unlikely anyone will hear it at a meet again.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is correct the YH-1000 was stock, it's just a better headphone than the YH-1
tongue.gif
I'd like to know what others thought of the yh1000 because it's unlikely anyone will hear it at a meet again.

It didn't sound like it need much, if any, modding. A meet's not really the best place to judge though.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 24
Anyone besides the OP brought a camera?
From the comments it looks like a nice meeting, but still a few pictures would help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back