Impressions of the META42
Jun 22, 2002 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
First off, let me say that the design of the board is nothing short of outstanding. My compliments to Tangent, eric343, Morsel, and of course Apheared (I think I need to put PPL in there as well). The amp sounds incredible. Very balanced with the right mix of dynamics. I like to use live recordings as a reference to see how close the sonic capabilities of the amp/headphone help recreate the experience. Does the synergy help "put you there." Using my HD600s and my HP-1s they both sounded wonderful in their own way. But, the 600s really sounded fantastic. I never really saw them as portable headphones......but. What I really am impressed with is the upper mids and the high end.

I know there is not much of a detailed review here, but I want to listen more. Especially with my Etys. Suffice it to say that the META42 sounds great!

Incidently, I am using one of the faux Alps Blue mini Stepped Attenuators. I like it!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 21
Details! :wink:

What opamp are you using? I'm assuming multiloop with a cascode current source and EL2001s. What gain? Did you tweak it any?

Jun 22, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanx JMT!

I was wondering what that circuit sounds like through an HP-1.
very_evil_smiley.gif

ok,
erix

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 21
Are you using the AD8610 opamp? If so, I'm guessing it's the airiness that you're hearing.
cool.gif
The general sound of my "ETA42" is quick and light with a touch of sweetness, is yours similar? The bass is quite nice as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Props to everyone involved with the design of this amp, it definately gets my approval.

Jun 23, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
First off, let me say that the design of the board is nothing short of outstanding. My compliments to Tangent, eric343, Morsel, and of course Apheared (I think I need to put PPL in there as well). The amp sounds incredible. Very balanced with the right mix of dynamics. I like to use live recordings as a reference to see how close the sonic capabilities of the amp/headphone help recreate the experience. Does the synergy help "put you there." Using my HD600s and my HP-1s they both sounded wonderful in their own way. But, the 600s really sounded fantastic. I never really saw them as portable headphones......but. What I really am impressed with is the upper mids and the high end.

I know there is not much of a detailed review here, but I want to listen more. Especially with my Etys. Suffice it to say that the META42 sounds great!

Incidently, I am using one of the faux Alps Blue mini Stepped Attenuators. I like it!

smily_headphones1.gif

Is this an amp you built? It seems we are hearing more and more about these META's. They've got me interested.

Jun 23, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 21
Lextek

Yes, using Tangent's/Morsel's/eric343's board. Elna Cerafines and WIMA caps, Vishays.....niiiiiice.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 21
If you can try listening to metallica's S&M > its thier live concert with the San Francisco Symphony, listening to the audience is awe surreal. Especailly the track > Nothing Else Matters

and ooo please give us some details once you're done enjoying the amp. ehhehe

Jun 24, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 21
If you're using EL2001 and AD8610 / 8620, I'm sure lots of us are eager to find out how did they compare. Although to be fair, Max uses two-stage regulated supply while META42 does not specify its supply and is usually run off unregulated batteries (well in my case at least). I'd love to loan a Max to compare but I'll need another 2 years to gain the level
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks JMT i gess mentioned last is better than not at all

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 21
Sorry PPL, I feel for you. Apheared seems to get the credit for reworking your design in a simplistic way because he was outspoken about it. Perhaps if you publish your pocket amp or other similar work in the HeadWize projects section, you will be more universally acknowledged.

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 21
you could call the amp:
TAPEM-42..or
ATEMP-42
MEATP-42
TEAMP-42< my favorite..after all it was a collaboration!
Good job to all people who contributed!...now I gotta get one!
md

Jun 25, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 21
or...

M42D-JT - META42-Designed, Jung Topology

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back