Impressions: New Lawton Audio 'Angle Pads' (sheepskin/leather) PICTURES ADDED
Apr 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #62 of 187
I don't think there are two kinds of pads, I think Mark decided to go with a higher quality leather than was originally the plan and all pads will have the higher quality leather.
For the rest no news yet, I am still waiting for my package to be shipped.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #63 of 187

Quote:
Is there still only one person with a set of these pads?  Are there really 2 kinds of pads?  On the Lawton website,  he says these are available but are going fast does anyone know if he has caught up with orders yet?

Not yet ive been waiting  2 months for those earpads and thats after waiting 3 months for the cups and mod he sent the phones back to me but still waiting after earpads and i was supposed to get them 2 weeks ago so no idea when i will get them .

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #64 of 187
Sounds like I will be stuffing my own pads soon then.  Anyone here used his DIY mod kit?  Is it significantly lighter than the Dynamat extreme that he used to use?  I did a pair of D7000 a while back and it sounded great but a little heavy.  I have a pair of D5000 now and would like to mod but without adding so much weight anyone know if its much lighter?

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #65 of 187
Finally should get ear pads  for my d-5000 early  next week. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #67 of 187
Pads were shipped today should get them soon !

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #69 of 187

Quote:
My mod kits, cups and pads are shipping on Monday. How soon I will get them depends on customs though.
Then it will still be waiting for my other cups from Martin and Norse cables.
Don't worry, I'm sure I'll have everything by summer.  :wink:

Did you receive the lawton pads yet? I emailed Mark and there seems to be a huge backorder for these pads still in the 4 weeks wait. Really want to see a review before I order them :) D7000 so awessommm

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #71 of 187
[Mark sure does know his job when it comes to shipping, seems even like he's got a backdoor in customs here. :p
My wife just let me know a package from Mark came in, let"s hope all is inside.
One of my Norse cables will be shipping today as well.

As said, I want to try the 3 different pads and open back mods first and wait until I have the cups from Martin Lantinen until I try the Lawton cups and dampening so I can A/B. I won't be able to directly A/B the pads since my second pair of D7000 is with Martin in the US, so I'll have to try them one by one.

I hope to give you some kind of impressions by tonight but I'm hopelessly behind on reading my posts, PM's and emails.
I'll do my best though and will try to give you some woodie cups pics as well in an attempt to hurt your wallet. :wink:

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #73 of 187

Quote:
Sweet apple! :D!
Sounds great

And you can sorta A/B them, via having one pad on one ear, and the other on another :p

*slaps TD around the ears*
Yup I could, but I won't since after that I will be ready for my shrink.
The problem is my shrink won't see me again since he has been in an institution since the lat time I talked to him. :p
No impressions and pics on the Lawton stuff for tonight tho'. I  had a couple of Internet purchases gone wrong and the only thing I'm up to for tonight is listening some music with what I have for now. That's called a remedy.
Listening Iron Maiden with a Zana and a Philips Miniwatt driving the fabulous L3000s (at least for the harder stuff) for now. makes me feell good!  :)

Chees folks, see ya tomorrow!  :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #74 of 187
Ok, I have been comparing them a bit.

The leather on the standard cups is the softest (if it is leather?) the J$ pads have the stiffest leather. It's like the leather on the Lawtons is nappa-like, quite a softer feel than the J$ leather that is more sheepskin-like although the J$ leather might be more durable.

The padding: same thing, padding is incredibly soft on the stock pads, still reasonably soft on the Lawton pads, quite a bit denser on the J$ pads.

The angle on both the J$ and Lawton pads is the same, the thickness of the pads almost the same I'd say, the J$ pads being a tiny bit thicker. I think that could vary between different sets of pads.

The holes (where your ears go in) are much smaller on the J$ pads than on the Lawton pads. Nothing problematic though, my ears fit just fine in the J$ pads but that might not be the case for everyone.

I think some people may find the Lawton pads a bit more comfortable, I haven't been able to make up my mind about that though, I think iether they are both just as comfortable or the Lawtons maybe a bit more so.

The sound I get is the same from both pads. I did actually A/B them with a different pad on each ear as well as trying with the same pads on both sides with the same songs and switching the pads a few times. I think the only way to see if there is a slight sonic difference can only be done with 2 D7000s.
In any case the sound from both pads is much more spatial than with the stock pads and the boominess in the bass is nicely reduced.

No pics of the cups yet, they weren't in the package and will arrive later.
I also haven't tried the mods as I am waiting for my second pair to arrive before I do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back