IMPRESSIONS: Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
May 23, 2004 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Well, I was at Best Buy the other day, picking up my DVD copy of Miracle, and this new CD caught my eye. My new rule is that I generally don't buy a CD unless I'm a big fan of the band until I've heard at least a couple of tracks. I'm not a HUGE Morrissey fan, but I've liked his work with The Smiths and his solo work, so I thought I'd take a flyer on it.

My first impressions are not so good. It strikes me as an album made up from reading the Cliff's Notes for older Morrissey and Smiths tunes. Nothing with the sort of "happy on the outside and miserably suicidal on the inside" effect that worked so well for The Smiths. Most every song that I listened to reminded me of other songs, only not nearly so well done.

For example, the song "I Like You" could easily have been lifted from "Every Day is Like Sunday"...the similarities are such that I doubt that they are accidental.

I will post more impressions later...I don't want to give up on this album too quickly, but so far it's not so good.

May 25, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 17
i think "you are the quarry" is sophisticated enough so that it'll will grow on me more over time, but i agree, at first glance i definately like the smiths and earlier morrissey stuff better. i hate to say it, but to me it sounds over-sung.

the new morrissey album is really for those who adore morrissey. if you simply like some of the smiths or a few morrissey songs, you'd be better off with a different morrissey album, or better yet, a smiths album. to the other forum members: unless you adore the man, i would pass on this and get a Smiths album, try "Louder than Bombs".

but morrissey changed my life (i know, its a cliche), and i have so much admiration for the man that I can't really see myself criticizing one of his albums much, even if it isn't my favorite...

May 25, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 17
i forgot to mention that morrissey is scheduled to be the musical guest on the craig kilborn *every night this week*. kilborn is a huge fan.

May 25, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 17
After the first listen I wasn't terribly impressed, but after a few spins, I really like it. A lot.

If you remove a few tracks and replace them with two of the three B-sides from the current single, it's a darn good album.

Morrissey has gotten more lazy over the years I think. I think this last album would be my favorite by his if he had polished the lyrics some. Still, the heart of the album (tracks 4-7) are very very good. I also really like track 9 a lot (probably my favorite on the album).

May 26, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 17
I'm a causual Smith's fan. Haven't heard Morrissey's other solo stuff, but I find You are the Quarry very much to my liking. Lush, clear instrumentation, and a nice balance of harder and softer edge tunes. This record seems quite well rounded. Its a keeper AFAIC.

Jul 3, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 17
I should preface by saying that I am a Smiths/Morriseey fan from WAY BACK. Meat is Murder was a hot new release when I first discovered his/their greatness. I've bought every thing he's ever done through thick and thin.

To me, You Are the Quarry represents, the "thin". Given the killer titles of the songs and the pre-release hype, I had high expectations, I was fully prepared for a great experience. But it was not to be. IMO, this is definitely not a "total disaster" for Morrissey a la "Kill Uncle" or "Maladjusted", but it ranks only just barely above them. The music is uninspired and the lyrics somewhat forced and Morrissey-by-numbers. Morrissey as an example of what Morrissey is supposed to be like, a genuine authentic impersonation of himself...

He needs to get a really good band behind him, cut his ties with the guys he's been working with for the last decade and start fresh. Seems so obvious he should just get the Smiths back together again, but that's got to be unlikely given the supreme UGLINESS of the lawsuits of the late 90s filed by his bandmates looking for back payments. Morrissey did not come out of that looking very good, he said a LOT of ugly things about his former bandmates. I've read that Johnny Marr has been having substance abuse problems, and his failed solo career with the Healers, and that Andy Rourke recently auctioned off his bass guitar used on all the great Smiths records on ebay.

For crying out loud, bury the hatchet and get them back together and achieve some greatness!!! They need him and he needs them. Please....

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
For crying out loud, bury the hatchet and get them back together and achieve some greatness!!! They need him and he needs them. Please....

Is it even possible? Not the getting together part but the "greatness!!!" part?

I actually prefer the debut 'the Smiths' with 'Meat is murder' following and is Johnny Marr not the most under-rated guitarist of the 80s?

Jul 4, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Is it even possible? Not the getting together part but the "greatness!!!" part?

I actually prefer the debut 'the Smiths' with 'Meat is murder' following and is Johnny Marr not the most under-rated guitarist of the 80s?

hmm... i think Johnny Marr is definately not underrated. in fact he's often very much a celebrated guitarist. maybe not so much as in the States where only a handful of people who knows who Johnny Marr is, but if you pick up any British music paper or magazine and go through the album reviews section, i'm sure Johnny Marr is mentioned at least once every issue. many music journalists still use him as a benchmark for modern guitar playing prowess. he also often makes many "best guitarists of all time" polls, and for good reason.

i think any and every Smiths/Morrissey fan would love to have a reunion, but i wouldn't hold my breath. the Smiths split was one of the ugliest splits in music history. even if they did enjoy playing and working with each other back in the day, the fact remains that till this day money is still an issue, due to all the lawsuits and claims and such. from what i've read, one of the main issues was that Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce were not writers of the majority of the songs; almost every composition were credited to Morrissey/Marr. that's why they didn't get backpayments. also, the sales royalties were also spread thin for the two in the rhythm section, i've read it was split 40/40/10/10. Money Changes Everything, yes... pun intended.

wouldn't it be great if Ameer from VH1 does a Smiths "Bands Reunited?" even if he was unsuccessful, it would be a very interesting episode.

Jul 4, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
hmm... i think Johnny Marr is definately not underrated. in fact he's often very much a celebrated guitarist. maybe not so much as in the States where only a handful of people who knows who Johnny Marr is, but if you pick up any British music paper or magazine and go through the album reviews section, i'm sure Johnny Marr is mentioned at least once every issue. many music journalists still use him as a benchmark for modern guitar playing prowess. he also often makes many "best guitarists of all time" polls, and for good reason.

"if you pick up any British music paper or magazine and go through the album reviews section, i'm sure Johnny Marr is mentioned at least once every issue."
That is cool and well deserved.
Yeah, I'm not aware of any recognition of him on this side of the Atlantic, although I've never really read much music press anyway. I just know his compositions and how very good they are compared to the competition.

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 17
I was bored at first, but after a few listens I really like a third of this album. Specifically, tracks:
01 - america is not the world
02 - irish blood, english heart
03 - i have forgiven jesus
08 - first of the gang to die

Give it a shot!

note: i have never heard any smiths or other morrissey work.

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
note: i have never heard any smiths or other morrissey work.

heh... do yourself a favour and buy "The Smiths - Singles." that will lead you to the road of such potential greatness that lasted only five years (1983-1987).

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #13 of 17
sorry for editing my post again

but owego, you are the quarry really pales compared to many of the smiths' and morrissey's best stuff.

follow bong's advice, grab the smiths singles. or, if you'd rather avoid a greatest hits album (although the singles is brilliant and is filled with must-haves) check out the smiths 'louder than bombs'.

pick one of them up ASAP

listen to the album while reading the lyrics (they're all over the net)

and get back to us. if you don't know the lyrics, you're not listening to the song. (you are the quarry's lyrics dont even compare, IMO)

morrissey is one of my heros.

Mar 15, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 17
Very much enjoying 3 songs off The Queen Is Dead right now. I guess that warrants listening to you guys and getting some more
wink.gif
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogewo
Very much enjoying 3 songs off The Queen Is Dead right now. I guess that warrants listening to you guys and getting some more
wink.gif
cool.gif

excellent start with The Queen is Dead songs!
cool.gif

which three? to me the three best songs are on the end of Side A (heh... back then albums still had two sides)... "I Know it's Over," "Never Had No One Ever," and "Cemetry Gates" are absolutely flawless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back