[Impression] Tralucent Audio T1
Nov 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Tralucent Audio is a fairly new comer in the portable audio world and they are Hong Kong based. They are better known for their dual BA, single dynamic hybrid universal IEM ‘1Plus2’ that has a custom shell. The T1 however is their offering to the portable amp market.

T1-01.jpg

Spec
Input Impedance: 10k ohm
Output Current: 350mA
Output Power: 1000mW / 8ohm
Gain: 3x
Frequency Response 1Hz – 100kHz

T1-02.jpg

T1-03.jpg

The plug on the IC looks great, reminds me of the very expensive ViaBlue T6s 3.5mm mini.

Build Quality and Accessories
Build quality is good but the overall design isn’t out of the ordinary. The headphone jack are recessed so big 3.5mm plug might not fit the jack, plus the two jack are a little too close in my option. Just a little bit further apart would have been better. The size of the amp isn’t exactly small, but not particular big either. I’ll call it regular in size. Power switch and USB recharging port is on the rear with a red LED recharging indicator. The amp can run on either battery or USB power. It will run on USB power automatically when it is plugged in and it has smart circuit to prevent over-charging. There is also a blue LED power indicator on the front. All and all, it is a no thrill design.  

Accessories wise, there are two rubber bands to strap the amp to the source, 4 stick-in rubber feet, a USB cable for recharging, a really good quality 3.5mm-to-3.5mm inter-connecting cable and a small Allen key for opening up the amp during battery replacement. The included 9V like battery seems to be NiMH based, which should last you a year or two on regular use. Unfortunately the battery is glued onto the housing with some very strong double sided tape, which makes it hard to remove and therefore preventing me from having a looking at what opamp and topology the T1 are using. It also means it won’t be the easiest thing to do when it is time for battery replacement. But hopefully by that time, the double sided tape would have loss some of its strength over time.

T1-04.jpg

T1-05.jpg

Battery Life
Battery life is quoted at 80 hours with a full charge with moderate volume and it takes 5 hours for a full charge. I never run the amp long enough to drain the battery completely but it does seems that it can run for a very long time. The one thing I noticed is that the amp does drain the battery a tiny bit even when turned off (likely because of the smart charging circuit), so the battery will empty if you leave it on the shelf for too long. The good news is that NiMH battery usually behaves fairly well when over-drained as they don’t suffered from memory effect much, but it is still a good idea to recharge the T1 every 2 weeks or so even if you are not using it.

Hissing + EMI + Click and Pop
Hissing is almost inaudible most of the time except for a second when the amp is shutting down where the hissing increases to a very mild level. EMI is noticeable on a very low level when the amp is next to a cellphone receiving call, not enough to be annoying. Click and pop on power up is also fairly low, safe enough to leave the IEM plugged in when turning the amp on. Overall, T1 behaves quite well.

SQ
My amp review usually consists of two parts: First is the basic measurement over RMAA for checking FR curve and noise over a known reference, measurement on power and power drop on fixed loads and a check on the output impedance. A second part is a subjective comparison. Like the amp shoot out, O2 will be the reference amp here. The source is either ODAC or Fuze’s line-out, the audio interface used is Behringer UC222 – not the best, but good enough for basic measurement. The USB port has been isolated with a USB isolator so ground loop shouldn’t be a problem.

As far as RMAA goes, T1 pretty much passes with flying color. The FR curve is dead flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. Noise is almost as low as O2 (or at least the limitation on what I can measure with my setup), and isn’t an issue of course. The only area that T1 doesn’t measure as well is stereo crosstalk. With O2 at -61.6dB on 16ohm load, T1 only measures -52.5dB. Still, it is a good enough number. Output impedance is measured and calculated at around 0.55ohm using a 47ohm load and a 1kHz tone. Power over the same load is slightly higher than O2 and almost matching that of Leckerton Audio UHA-4, which means it should have plenty of juice to spare. For the 20 or so portable amps I measured in the past, the best of them has very little to no power drop when I tested them from a 47ohm to a 23.5ohm load. T1 on the other hand not only has no power drop, it actually outputs 3% more power with the lower impedance load. That’s really something I never see on another amps and an indicator that T1 might works very well with low impedance IEM, especially since its has a low output impedance already.

For subjective listening, I mainly compare T1 to O2 and UHA-4, volume matched with a digital SPL meter. For most parts, T1 is almost as reference sounding as O2, very neutral and almost colorless. Yes, almost – not completely colorless but still less colored than UHA-4. There is a much fainted sense of warm lingered in the background that makes T1 not sounding as dark and transparent as O2 – thought the difference is very small and can be unnoticeable if you are not looking for it. With O2, it is like watching the night sky with a normal telescope where there is nothing between the stars and you are staring into the great emptiness. With T1 however, it is like watching the same night sky with a high power telescope where you start to notice there are something in between the stars but still can’t quite make out what they are, except you know there are something there. It is that kind of very weak radiance that gives the T1 that slight warmness over O2. For most part, I don’t dislike it and find it to be excellent match to colder and more neutral IEM like ER4S in a subtle way. All and all, I’ll rate T1 as good sounding as O2 as far as my own listening goes.

T1-06.jpg

Size comparison (from left): iBasso D-ZERO, JDS Labs C421, Tralucent T1, Leckerton Audio UHA-4

Ending
There is really nothing I can complain about T1. It measured quite good, it sounds excellent and it behaves well with cellphone and low impedance load in real world application. It is pretty much what I’ll refer as a reference class, top-tier portable amp - at least from the viewpoint of an IEM user. The $230 price tag seems a bit high as you can get pretty decent amp/DAC for around the same price bucket. But if price is not an issue and you don’t need other functions, the T1 is a great alternative to O2, especially if you need something smaller for a true portable rig.

A thank to Tralucent Audio for the T1 loaner.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 34
Nice review CleiOS! :).

I'm curious how many hours did you burn the amp in? This amp really does open up with a lot of usage. Initially when I got it I felt the same about it being on the warmer side. Actually with my bass heavy IEM it could be a bit too much depending on the source. But after 250 hours of usage problem solved and the sound. Wow. This amp continued changing to my ears even after 300 hours of usage. I think around 350 and it settled. I much prefer it to the O2. The O2 was very dry, sound stage was too stretched (wide) so the music sounded weird. Also the amp was very aggressive so fatiguing to listen to for longer periods of time. It did do very well on Rock though. But the T1 manages to have great width and depth so overall great balance in the sound stage. As an all-around amp the T1 is superb at everything I throw at it on my DX100. To be honest I haven't been so satisfied with a portable rig as what this combo brings to me. I just can easily live with it and can't really find any faults in the sound it produces. Its my reference sound IMO>

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 34
I don't purposely burn amp in, since I don't think there is anything mechanical inside that require burn-in.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 34
I believe in electrical burnout, not so much in burn-in.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 34
It's probably more fair if you give the amp a good burn in before reviewing, even if you don't believe in it. I personally heard improvements in my uha-6s mkii (209) with burn in for example.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 34
I didn't say I never give it a good use before reviewing. What I said is 'I don't purposely burn amp in...'. If I didn't give it a use, it won't have taken me almost 2 months to finish this review. For an electronic engineering POV, if a circuit board takes any lengthy period of time to settle, I'll consider it defected. As I have said, there is nothing mechanical inside that will benefit from a purposeful burn-in. I'll expect an small solid state amp to settle down within the first few hours of use, and some might even argue less. This is not the topic of this thread, but you can find very good read in the DIY sub-forum.

Also, I treat all 20+ amps I reviewed more or less the same way, so there is no unfairness to any particular of them. To date, I never find any burn-in effect on any of them after long period of use. Degradation on the other hand is very much noticeable.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 34
ClieOS, it seems this amp have very good power specs for low impedance loads, but I'm wondering what is the power output capability of this amp into higher Ohm loads...
I can't find much detailed information about the power specs of this amp other than what is shown in this review...
It's just that I was wondering if it has enough power for >300 Ohms loads or at least how it compares to the O2 in this regard...
Do you have more detailed information about the power specs that you can share? Like voltage output into 150 or 300 Ohms...

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
ClieOS, it seems this amp have very good power specs for low impedance loads, but I'm wondering what is the power output capability of this amp into higher Ohm loads...
I can't find much detailed information about the power specs of this amp other than what is shown in this review...
It's just that I was wondering if it has enough power for >300 Ohms loads or at least how it compares to the O2 in this regard...
Do you have more detailed information about the power specs that you can share? Like voltage output into 150 or 300 Ohms...

When it comes to low impedance load (i.e. CIEM and such), current delivery is more crucial than voltage. When it comes to high impedance load, it is the opposite - voltage is more important to achieve a good enough volume, while current is less important since current isn't as demanding in high impedance situation. So to drive a 300ohm headphone well, you'll want more voltage than more current. The problem is, T1 only comes with 3x gain, which means it only amplifier the voltage by a factor of 3. That is actually quite small if you consider that O2 comes with both 2.5x and 6.5x gain switch for low and high impedance headphone. So at most T1 is able to match O2 in low gain and a little beyond. It probably will not have enough gain to most of the 300ohm+ headphone. For these headphone, you will want 5X or more. In short, I'll think T1 is designed with low impedance load in mind and not suitable for very high impedance load.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 34
Oh... you're right.
With a gain of 3x I'm only getting 6V from a standard line-out, I should have figured this out already... that's a shame, oh well.
Thanks, anyway.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
It will also depend on source V. I think about 10db of gain is a good compromise without a gain switch but more options is better.

The amp is quite powerful as is with IEMs an I think with a 6X gain you'd have issues with sensitive IEMs on the volume pot (channel imbalance). So I'm quite happy with the power. Actually I really can't use it on my DACport LX in bit for bit in media money as its' too loud without channel imbalance so it's quite powerful. More powerful than my Leckerton on low gain that's for sure.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 34
Does anyone know what the op amp is inside the Tralucent T1?

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back