[Impression] International Sound & Sight Exhibition / Creative X7 SITEX demo / Audio-Technica Offline Event @ SG 2014
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Nov. 28th - International Sound and Sight Exhibition:
This is traditionally more of a higher end AV / home entertainment show rather than a headphone show, but this year they have more headphone and portable gears at display.

SG-01.jpg

Lehmann Traverller is the first pootable amp I saw in the show. Never listen to it as the rig I brought over to the show isn't setup to listen to amp, but to headphone.

SG-02.jpg

SG-03.jpg

Besides Z5, there are also MDR-Z7 as well as MDR-1A (not shown due to blurry picture)

SG-04.jpg

Surprise #1: The new XBA-A series. While Z5 is pretty impressive, I actually find A3 sounding more coherent. There are some discontinuity in Z5's bass, as if it kicks in just a few nano second later then the rest of the frequency. A3 to me has the almost the same SQ, but not the coherency issue, so I ended up picking up a pair later on.

SG-05.jpg

DITA - didn't try the balanced version, but I was mightily impressed by the Truth edition last time I tried it.

SG-06.jpg

SG-07.jpg

Surprise #2: Atomic Floyd SuperDart Titanium. I have the regular SuperDart and it has  a very V-shaped sound that might not appeal to everyone. The new Titanium edition is however a different beast. It is much more balanced sounding than the regular version and I am quite impressed.

SG-08.jpg

SG-09.jpg

The new RHA T10i - forgot to try it as I was rushing to take pictures.

SG-10.jpg

SG-11.jpg

SG-12.jpg

SG-13.jpg

SG-14.jpg

Bakoon

SG-15.jpg

Hifiman feeding WOO

SG-16.jpg

From left: HM802, HM901 and HM650. As you can see, HM901 is sitting on its dock.

SG-17.jpg

SG-18.jpg

SG-19.jpg

SG-20.jpg

SG-21.jpg

Some TEAC and Meridian stuffs.

SG-22.jpg

Surprise #3: OPPO HA-2, a portable USB DAC+amp with OTG support and bass boost, based DAC section on ESS ES9180K2M This is still prototype but overall it is quite refined. It has a fairly powerful amp section and a very neutral and transparent sound signature.

SG-23.jpg

Some YAMAHA, but nothing special there.

SG-24.jpg

Sennheiser wireless headphones, quite excellent sounding for wireless.

SG-25.jpg

Surprise #4: Fischer Audio planar and IEM prototype
Sorry, no picture here as I don't want to ruin the surprise for Fischer Audio. I was told by FA's staff @ ISSE that FS' boss is in town for meeting, but won't have the time to visit ISSE. After I left ISSE, I went to a local headphone shop, and to my surprise, they were walking out of that shop (with one of the FS local staff, that's how I recognized them). It turns out that they were visiting shops to showcase their upcoming products, including a new planar, a full sized dynamic and an IEM. I got to listen to all three and am quite impressed. All are excellent sounding. The planar is a bit on the warm and rich side, but very effortless, even coming out of my portable rig (Sony NWZ-A15 digital-out to iDSD micro). If you want more impression, you'll have to wait for LFF's review as I was told that he will be writing one. The dynamic full size has the same sound signature, but not quite as good, though still excellent for an dynamic. The biggest surprise is the IEM - I can only describe it as being one of the most reference sounding dynamic IEM I have ever heard. Not sure when the IEM will come out, but the planar will be launched in early 2015.

Nov. 28th - Creative Sound Blaster X7 demo @ SITEX 2014
SITEX is more or less a computer and gadget show. Kind of like a year-end big electronics sale event. Very crowded, but not ideal for showing audio products because of the noise. However, it is kind of a tradition for Creative to be there since it is a local company.

SG-26.jpg

SG-27.jpg

The X7 is driving a pair of Canton floor speaker (not sure about the model, but seems to be the Vento series, 890.2 or 880.2) via its built-in 100W power amp and an optional upgraded power supply. As explained by the Creative guys, the upgraded power supply is needed because they need to push the X7 harder to overcome the noise in the SITEX show. If it is at home, the stock power supply should be enough. The X7 does drive the Canton pretty well.

Nov. 29th - Jaben
A quick stop at Jaben as it is on my way to the AT event, and get a chance to listen to the aurender. That thing is really big and heavy, but pretty good SQ.

SG-28.jpg

Nov. 29th - The Audio-Technica Offline event
We get to try some of yet-to-be released (locally) products that AT brings over from Japan.

SG-29.jpg

SG-30.jpg

Some ATH-MSR7, including limited edition.

SG-31.jpg

SG-32.jpg

SG-33.jpg

The focus of the show, the TOTL AT-HA5050H

SG-41.jpg

SG-34.jpg

SG-35.jpg

SG-36.jpg

The portable gears table, including the regular CKR9, the limited CKR9 and CKR7, the AT-PHA50BT and AT-PHA100.

SG-37.jpg

The red CKR9 limited edition has a sound signature somewhat between the regular CKR9 and CKR10. It is warmer and smoother than the V-shaped sounding CKR9, but not as sweet as CKR10.

SG-38.jpg

SG-39.jpg

SG-40.jpg

The AT-PHA50BT is a bit warm sounding, but it is not connected to my smartphone so I can't say if that's its true sound signature or not. Quite small though.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 11
  Thanks! How's the HA-2 compared to the iDSD Micro in terms of SQ?

HA-2 isn't quite as refined or powerful as iDSD micro, though it isn't very far either.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 11
 The AT-PHA50BT is a bit warm sounding, but it is not connected to my smartphone so I can't say if that's its true sound signature or not. Quite small though.

Do you happen to know which effect mode was enabled on the AT-PHA50BT?

From the manual it looks like the AT-PHA50BT supports the following effects:
  1. Flat (OFF)
  2. Acoustic
  3. Vocal Boost
  4. Bass Boost
  5. Virtual Surround

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 11

Do you happen to know which effect mode was enabled on the AT-PHA50BT?

From the manual it looks like the AT-PHA50BT supports the following effects:
  1. Flat (OFF)
  2. Acoustic
  3. Vocal Boost
  4. Bass Boost
  5. Virtual Surround

It was on 'Flat' when I first listened to it, but then I did a quick listening to all of them. Overall the EQ does what it supposed to do and I didn't notice any ill side effect.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 11

Although I didn't take any pictures of headphones, I reckon this setup at ISSE is one of the best systems out there.

All my friends were amazeballed by it. Even a hifi guru called it good hahaha

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the pictures dos you the ATH h5050h?

You mean did I try the AT-HA5050H? That I did. It is quite a setup there, but I am not into full size and desktop gears, so I really can't say how it compare to others.

it was a jam packed weekend for audio! :D too bad i only get to visit Sound and Sight...

@ ClieOS

where you able to try the msr7 from the AT Event? if yes, do you mind sharing your quick impressions?

Actually I didn't try it. Just not my area of interest.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 11
  Is it possible to share a picture of the fischer audio IEM? Would you say it is on the same level as the ER4S/EX-1000?

Out of respect, I didn't take any photo on their prototype that day, so I can't show you anything. But it is still a very early prototype with no fancy design, so it is pretty much like a $10 no-brand IEM that you could have picked up from a thrift store. It is very hard to say precisely how good it is, but I'll say the prototype I had listened isn't very far away from ER4S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back