[Impression] FiiO E10
Oct 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #92 of 1,324

Quote:
Also keep in mind that my standard of reference retails at around $1500 while this is a $80 usb dac/amp so it is definitely not a fair comparison but I am not making it out to be a fair comparison. If you have not heard a dac/amp before then it will sound great. If I have never heard the 2 dacs and amps then I will be happy with this but I have so I would want something better.

All of which begs the question : why buy the E10 in the first place ? Seriously, unless you needed a standalone DAC (or a cheap means of converting USB to optical out), why even part with $80 that could have been spent on beer ? No question re the novelty factor, but that wears off so very quickly. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #93 of 1,324
I got a E10 but I found out the ON and BASS is switched around. Moving the switch to ON actually gives the bass boost while moving it to BASS turns off the boost. Plenty of power for my grados, Volume knob at 1 with gain on low

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #95 of 1,324

Quote:
It's not switched around. The E10 doesn't have a on/off switch as I'm sure you've noticed.  The on is referring to the bass boost.

I find it weird; if anything it would be more logical to have the top say BASS and the bottom one say OFF. Oh well, not a big deal

Few things that I notice:
The volume of the 3.5mm headphone output drops when connecting my desktop computer speakers to line output.
Volume is controllable using windows and it is possible to mute
Audible pop sound through the headphones when plugging or disconnecting from headphone output, doesn't happen on the E7 and E9  or my sansa clip

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #96 of 1,324

Quote:
All of which begs the question : why buy the E10 in the first place ? Seriously, unless you needed a standalone DAC (or a cheap means of converting USB to optical out), why even part with $80 that could have been spent on beer ? No question re the novelty factor, but that wears off so very quickly. 

I never said I couldn't find use with the E10. It just doesn't compare to my standard but I never said it was bad. I use the E10 with my customs when I am out of the house and bring my netbook. I can't exactly bring my dac or amp with me when I leave the house. I don't see these marketed really as a standalone dac but rather something to use when you bring your netbook or laptop out for transportable use since your home rig is not suitable for outside use.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #97 of 1,324

Quote:

But i don't even like beer!

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #98 of 1,324

Quote:

You make a very compelling argument!

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #99 of 1,324

Quote:

This is headfi... spending money on toys we don't need is the name of the game. FiiO/iBasso is practically an initiation rite at this point.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #100 of 1,324

Quote:

I never said I couldn't find use with the E10. It just doesn't compare to my standard but I never said it was bad. I use the E10 with my customs when I am out of the house and bring my netbook. I can't exactly bring my dac or amp with me when I leave the house. I don't see these marketed really as a standalone dac but rather something to use when you bring your netbook or laptop out for transportable use since your home rig is not suitable for outside use.

Precisely. Not every Ferrari Enzo owner want to drive their Enzo to everywhere all the time.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #101 of 1,324
Just got my E10 in today and the plan is to use them with the Senn HD25-II's.  I tried it with my HD650's and although it will drive them to pretty decent levels, the sound is gritty, less dynamic and constricted compared to my Matrix Mini-i.  Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing dac/amp for the price and drive the HD25's quite well.  You will not get anywhere near the potential out of the HD6x0 series especially with dynamics and extension.
I would say a minimum of the E10/E9 combo or the upcoming E17/E9 combo to get a decent sound of the Senn HD6x0's. That's about a minimum starting point as far as I'm concerned. YMMV.

Quote:
How would the E10 pair with the HD600/650. Is it powerful enough, and if so would I be hearing even close to the full potential of them?

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #102 of 1,324
okay, messing around with different settings on the e10 didn't take very long since there are only 3 really. but finding which one to me sounds the best was a little tricky. high gain hits harder with bass. takes away from the highs a little, but I like it. I guess you could say you can switch the settings depending on the song. you may find it annoying to keep changing the settings. I don't mind changing it since it is just a switch
biggrin.gif

all in all, I feel like this is a good starting point for me.

Thanks feiao for the responses

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #104 of 1,324
I have not heard a click when changing songs but I don't use any of those 2 programs. Can you see if that happens when you are not using the dac or if you have other music players to try it with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back