[Impression] FiiO E10
May 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,261 of 1,324
  Funny to see this, the jack on my unit broke last week... For the past few months actually, I was hearing the hiss people complain about - which I found odd because I didn't have the hiss for a year. Last week all of a sudden I lost the right channel so when I opened it up I noticed the crappy glue Fiio uses to hold the jack down more securely had cracked; one solder point was loose and another broken right at the jack.

You should see my unit now, I epoxy'd the jack down so that it's resting on the solder points perfectly.

The copper ring also broke so I broke it off, bought me a splitter and epoxy'd THAT onto the front.

I figured, what the hell..  I'll do a cheap $5 job and try to fix it or end up buying another DAC that I can use at work.

If/when I ever buy a new E10K I'll be sure to open it right away and epoxy the jacks down so the weak points in the unit are rock solid.

The sense that I got from talking with FiiO and the little bit of info they were willing to disclose was that the E10k should be more durable and reliable. It remains to be seen whether there will be any DAC or amp changes. Expect it to be out later this year.

May 26, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,262 of 1,324
Wish there was more info on the E10K.

May 26, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,263 of 1,324
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,264 of 1,324
Is it just my experience or is the E10 really fussy? 

I bought mine in 2012 and have loved it.  Other than a dirty volume pot (which I'm not sure how to fix) it's never had a problem.

Now I build a new PC and it's skipping and dropping all over the place.  I've moved it away from the PC and it improved.  I also discovered that having my headphone cable touching the USB cable was causing drops.  It seems totally stable now but I had no idea it was so touchy.

I'd love to have a more robust desktop DAC/Amp.  Something with a little more body.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,265 of 1,324
  Is it just my experience or is the E10 really fussy? 

I bought mine in 2012 and have loved it.  Other than a dirty volume pot (which I'm not sure how to fix) it's never had a problem.

Now I build a new PC and it's skipping and dropping all over the place.  I've moved it away from the PC and it improved.  I also discovered that having my headphone cable touching the USB cable was causing drops.  It seems totally stable now but I had no idea it was so touchy.

I'd love to have a more robust desktop DAC/Amp.  Something with a little more body.

For volume pot - disconnect the E10, turns the pot all the way up, then all the way down. Repeat for a minute or two, then connect back and see if it improves.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,266 of 1,324

For volume pot - disconnect the E10, turns the pot all the way up, then all the way down. Repeat for a minute or two, then connect back and see if it improves.

Thanks, will do.

Unfortunately I spoke too soon.  Still getting drops and skips.  It;s really maddening!

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,267 of 1,324

Thanks, will do.

Unfortunately I spoke too soon.  Still getting drops and skips.  It;s really maddening!

Have you checked the cables? And the motherboard? I do recall there being a problem with new "power-saving" functions on newer motherboards that won't power a DAC or amp properly. Someone I know has problems with the Schiit Modi because of that.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,270 of 1,324
  I've checked everything.  It's driving me nuts.  I never had this problem before.

If it happens right after you leave the PC for awhile then came back, then it could very well be the power saving mode. There is no way around that but by putting a self-powered USB hub between the DAC and the PC.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,271 of 1,324
Any recent news on the E10K?

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #1,272 of 1,324

If it happens right after you leave the PC for awhile then came back, then it could very well be the power saving mode. There is no way around that but by putting a self-powered USB hub between the DAC and the PC.

I hope your'e wrong.  The whole point of an external DAC/AMP is to avoid this crap!

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #1,273 of 1,324
  I hope your'e wrong.  The whole point of an external DAC/AMP is to avoid this crap!

Well, you can complain it to Microsoft. But they probably will just ignore you since this is a known issue from the Vista time.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,274 of 1,324
I just noticed that when I connect or disconnect the analog line out cable while listening through the headphone output the sound fails, like it would if I was partially removing the headphone plug. Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back