[Impression] FiiO E10
Oct 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #136 of 1,324

Quote:
I received the E10 in the post today, and I'm now playing some music through Spotify. The E10 is clearly an improvement over the E7 I used to own, at least with the ER4S. On the E7 the bass boost was "unnatural", artificial.
To be fair I wasn't expecting this little device to sound this good, I can't believe the quality you can get with £50.

I received one earlier this week as well. It's perfect for at the office.
Have only tried it with sennheisers HD650 but jeez this little box does great!

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #137 of 1,324

Quote:

I received one earlier this week as well. It's perfect for at the office.
Have only tried it with sennheisers HD650 but jeez this little box does great!

beerchug.gif

Glad you like it! BTW, how was the pizza mate?

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #138 of 1,324
After some fight with Kubuntu 11.10 (sound can be a bitch on that one!) im happly using the e10 with it

If you want to use the e10 as your primary output (assuming alsa+pulseaudio) here is what you do:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Insert (or find and modify as the index might be set to -2) this line:
options snd_usb_audio index=0

sudo nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
modify default-sample-rate to 96k
; default-sample-rate = 96000

I had to use the GStreamer backend as most ppl prolly will because the VLC backend did NOT work well with the E10 (delay and crashes)

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #139 of 1,324
I think you should fix the issue, feiao, since I don't own an iPhone and frequently use the same earphones with a Samsung Epic, a Ray Samuels Hornet and other kit. The only time I've ever experienced intermittent signal, static-like noise or amplified microphonics is while using the earphones in question with the E10.

Thanks for the explanation, though.  I wondered how it was possible to hear amplified cable noise. 

Quote:
2, The problem of some i-earphones, I means some earphone which design to iPod/iPhone, the pin definition is different with NOKIA, Samsung. we will try to fixed this problem in next batch. but who have such problem can use our LU1/LU2 to solve this problem.

the definition of iPhone's earphone with mic/inline control.  1, Left channel, 2, Right channel, 3, Ground, 4, Mic/inline control.
    the definition of standard earphone with mic/inline control.  1, Left channel, 2, Right channel, 3,  Mic/inline control, 4 Ground,

As you all know, Apple is not the first brand and company who make cellphone, but they always don't want to be compatible with others.    

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #141 of 1,324
I have the DT880 600 ohms version but I did not like them compared to my full sized rig. However it depends on what you are used to. For $80 there really isn't much to complain about with the E10>DT880 but knowing it could be better didn't sit too well with me. I can go into it more later this evening by trying it out if you want.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #143 of 1,324
Well here you go:

the sound is still balanced and very detailed. i prefer high gain and bass boost on as it adds a nice punch line which is not to dry.
i dont have much to compare it to tbh but it gives me roughly the same experience as everything i've listened to so far just that the DAC adds some more details to the standard crappy soundcard of my desktop.

Power is not a problem, 2-3/8 is already loud, beyond 5 is to loud to listen to.

btw: try binaural recordings with this combi, it blows minds :)

Quote:
I plan to pair an e10 with a macbook pro and DT880 (250 ohm).  Has anyone tried the e10 / DT880 combo yet and would care to comment? 

Thanks

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #144 of 1,324

Quote:
I have the DT880 600 ohms version but I did not like them compared to my full sized rig. However it depends on what you are used to. For $80 there really isn't much to complain about with the E10>DT880 but knowing it could be better didn't sit too well with me. I can go into it more later this evening by trying it out if you want.

Thanks for the info.  I'd like to know if there is an improvement over just connecting to the MBP directly.  I'd be inclined to think that the DAC of the e10 is sonically superior to the soundcard of the MBP.  For portability, the usb-powered e10 is very attractive to me and it seems like a "fun" way to improve the sonic experience of listening to headphones while using only my MBP.   I have the DT880's (250 ohm) and the MBP already so the question is really whether the e10 is a good choice or if something else would be more appropriate.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #145 of 1,324
Thanks! 

I'm sure to be ordering one soon...actually, the only think keeping me is word on the potential revision to the silk screen graphic of "BASS" and "ON". 

Quote:
Well here you go:

the sound is still balanced and very detailed. i prefer high gain and bass boost on as it adds a nice punch line which is not to dry.
i dont have much to compare it to tbh but it gives me roughly the same experience as everything i've listened to so far just that the DAC adds some more details to the standard crappy soundcard of my desktop.

Power is not a problem, 2-3/8 is already loud, beyond 5 is to loud to listen to.

btw: try binaural recordings with this combi, it blows minds :) 

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #146 of 1,324

Quote:
600 ohms is pushing it though. This is a USB powered device were talking about here :)

Yes while I agree I don't have the 250 ohms to test it out on. It's better than my other full sized headphones to try it out on at least :p Next to my Magnums the DT880 are one of my more easier headphones to drive...however since already provided feedback no need to take out the DT880 :)

Personally I have my doubts about usb powered devices with anything other than customs, earphones and most portable headphones. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #147 of 1,324
I currently switch between a pair of M50s plugged into a nuForce uDAC (1st gen) coming out of my laptop.  I've been on the fence on this one - would the E10 be a good upgrade?  Decisions...decisions... Any help appreciated!

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #148 of 1,324

Quote:
I currently switch between a pair of M50s plugged into a nuForce uDAC (1st gen) coming out of my laptop.  I've been on the fence on this one - would the E10 be a good upgrade?  Decisions...decisions... Any help appreciated!

I personally Love the e10. I felt like the overall improvement with the e10 was well worth the 80 dollars. I use the m50 every time now with the e10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back