Important question on Etymotics
May 2, 2002 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ramrod152001

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, im a brand new user of this site and have been watching threads for a few days. I was wondering about purchasing Etymotics headphones, and i need to know one thing, are you able to jog with them? I have read that the cord is microphonic but i heard a cord improvement was made to significantly reduce the microphonic sound, and i also heard an improvement was made so that the cord doesnt directly connect to the headphone piece itself. Do all of these improvements make an etymotic joggable? I wouldnt be jogging in a public place but a track. Since using the sony in-ear buds (sorry i dont remember the model number but they are the only sony canal-like phones!), i really like the concept and am considering Etymotics. Thanks for your help.

May 2, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 8
Probably not a good idea. I have the ER4Ps which are a little less microphonic. Due to the fact that they go into the ear canals you would end up having too much noise transmitted through the cable.

May 2, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 8
I have the ER4p's as well and they are still VERY microphonic. In fact I usually hear my breathing as the cord rubs my shirt. Unless you loop 'em back over your ears and look even sillier...

I wouldn't recommend them for jogging.

May 2, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Ramrod152001
Welcome to head-fi. You could consider the koss ksc 35s. The top right of the screen is a search engine. Hit it and put in box koss 35 and see what other members say about them.

May 2, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Ramrod152001: Don't even think about jogging with the Etys. In fact, don't even think about moving with them. They transmit everything. The severe microphonics problem in my humble opinion makes these otherwise magnificent headphones very difficult to enjoy. I find that I must clip the cord to my shirt in exactly the right way, then anchor the rest of the cord under a book or something and THEN (this is the tough part) stay very still while listening. It also helps if I keep my mouth slightly open and breathe through my mouth rather than my nose. A while back I posted a question to the Ety rep on this site asking what design considerations went in to this cord. I figured that there must be some tremendous benefit to be gained from using this particular cord, since why else would they select a cord with such significant drawbacks. Alas, no answer.

May 2, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 8
FWIW

I replaced my ER4S cable with the 'fixup' cable and now the microphonics are greatly reduced.

But this problem will never entirely go away, so for activilties such as running these may not be a good choice.

May 3, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 8
You might want to consider the ER-6. I went with those because I heard the microphonics was not as bad, and I have found them to be very good for active sports. I take them to the gym weekly and use them while on the treadmill, stepper etc. The sound may not be as good as the ER4's but I am willing to sacrifice a little in the sound quality so that I can move around.

May 3, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 8
This depends on your location, but I would not recommend jogging with anything on your ears simply for safety purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back